Questions about the defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Questions about the defense

ArmchairCEO

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm new here, so please go easy on me. I had a few questions about the Dolphins defense and was hoping you guys could lend me some insight into what you think the plan is.

Im really impressed by Flores and his schemes. Without getting into too much hyperbole, it certainly seems like if he can find enough success he can change the way defenses are constructed both in personnel depth charts and in on-field formations, possibly even revolutionize it if he's super successful and extreme in his methods.

So my questions are based on that...

1. Just how extreme do you see his vision once all of the personnel is put in place? Which I realize probably isn't until after next draft or possibly longer.

2. What will base formation look like?

3. How many defensive players will be in the main rotation (number of players receiving 40% of snaps or more).

4. How many 'traditional' lineman, linebackers, corners and safeties will be in that rotation?

5. Curious how many of each position you see making final roster and who they might be

I'm almost to the point of fascination on trying to figure out how he is attempting to piece this unit together.... and any other additional insights you all have.

Too early in the morning for me to answer all the questions but welcome to the site. Some good questions in there and once some of the gurus here wake up they will give you some input.

It is quite early to dive deeper into these questions. If I had to summarize the defensive gameplan:
"Flexibility and quality depth" will allow us to game-plan and adjust every game.

I'm new here, so please go easy on me. I had a few questions about the Dolphins defense and was hoping you guys could lend me some insight into what you think the plan is.

Im really impressed by Flores and his schemes. Without getting into too much hyperbole, it certainly seems like if he can find enough success he can change the way defenses are constructed both in personnel depth charts and in on-field formations, possibly even revolutionize it if he's super successful and extreme in his methods.

1. Just how extreme do you see his vision once all of the personnel is put in place? Which I realize probably isn't until after next draft or possibly longer.

3. How many defensive players will be in the main rotation (number of players receiving 40% of snaps or more).

4. How many 'traditional' lineman, linebackers, corners and safeties will be in that rotation?

5. Curious how many of each position you see making final roster and who they might be

I'm almost to the point of fascination on trying to figure out how he is attempting to piece this unit together.... and any other additional insights you all have.

One insight I like . . .
the starters on D in the last game of '19 (actually, I'm using 'most snaps') vs best guess starters in '20. Pay particular attention to names in the back 7. Note; I'm giving less consideration to rookies.

'19 / '20
Seiler / Lawson
Godchaux / ?
Wilkins / Wilkins
Jenkins / Ogbah
Baker / Baker
AVG / McMillan
T Harris/ Van Noy
Munson / ?
Nneedham / Needham
Hayes / Jones
Brooks / Howard
Aikens / NI
Colbert / ?
Rowe / Rowe

Going to be really fun to watch with a few more chess pieces and some edge options at least compared to last season. I'm really looking forward to watching Van Noy in this defense.

The modern NFL is a passing league where most offenses feature 3 WR and a TE in their “base” formations. That being said, expect to see 5-6 DBs on the field 80% of our defensive snaps. From there you will see 4-2-5, 3-3-5, 5-1-5 (heck BAL and NE use 1-5-5 sometimes) depending on the game situation. We have the personnel to successfully use multiple fronts this year.

The main thing to know about Flores defense is that like his mentor Belichick he wants to have a scheme that morphs depending on the opponent.

They could play mostly 3/4 in one game and then be in a traditional 4/3 the next.

You will see them with more than 4 DB's quite a bit, probably more than not.

For this reason his defense requires smart, versatile players who have the ability to play in more than one spot and have the brains to adjust quickly to weekly game plans.

I am very excited about three new players that have demonstrated the ability to set the edge. We have been killed by horrific run defense from our DE for a very long time! I love that I have some hope of seeing snaps where our DE is not oblivious to a crack back or prevents an easy hook by a player that has a disadvantage of the DE being on the outside shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom