Quick question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quick question

scottieUK

Starter
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me with this question. I often hear of a college player `red shirt` a year or `red shirting`. What does this mean? Also what are the names for college years? Is it;

1 - Freshman
2 - Sophomore
3 - ?
4 - Senior

College football has only just begun to be show here in the UK. Thanks for your help guys.

junior

and red shirt means they are on the team but they dont play, giving them an extra year to play

igor79 said:
junior

and red shirt means they are on the team but they dont play, giving them an extra year to play

Thanks for that. Why would you want to red shirt a year? Academic reasons?

scottieUK said:
Thanks for that. Why would you want to red shirt a year? Academic reasons?

Learn more about the playbook.
Injuries
If there is a solid starter ahead of you

Two kinds, well more then that, but the two i actually know of is just a plain "red shirt, which means they sit, they cant play for that year, if they play at all, they lose their red shirt. Then there is the medical red shirt. A guy gets a serious injury, the school can give him a medical red shirt. So, he doesn't lose a year of eligibility for an injury. II'm sure there are probably others, and I do think a guy could red shirt his "first season", and then be medical red shirted say his actual junior year also. I think Jason White, the QB from Oklahoma went through this scenario, if I am not mistaken. Not positive, but think so.

And anoter thing, a guy could be red shirted at any time in his career at college. It does NOT have to be his freshman year. He could be red shirted his true senior year, if the coach so chooses. Thats why so many guys are already graduated when they enter the draft. Especially from the big schools here in the uS, like Miami, Oklahoma, Ohio State, michigan. so much talent they have, many guys get a red shirt at some time down the line of play.

Many if not most football players sit their first year out of high school to develop both physically in a college weight program and in order to learn the system which will be a huge leap from the level of ball they had played up until that point. In high school, a division I-A college bound player can dominate the opposition on physical talent alone. In college they must learn technique, system, etc.

You will hear expressions like red-shirt freshman or true freshman. That will tell you whether or not the player is directly out of high school or has sat a year. In some cases, where a player has already had a red-shirt year and then is injured and misses another season, the NCAA will grant a player a sixth year in order to play four full seasons. The rules there involve academics and making progress towards a degree or completing a degree and so on.

The expressions: Freshman, sophmore, junior, and senior are used throughout our educational system, both in high school and college to mark the years of a student. They are not only used in athletics.

Hope this helps.

scottieUK said:
Can anyone please help me with this question. I often hear of a college player `red shirt` a year or `red shirting`. What does this mean? Also what are the names for college years? Is it;

1 - Freshman
2 - Sophomore
3 - ?
4 - Senior

College football has only just begun to be show here in the UK. Thanks for your help guys.
THANK GOD FOR NASN!!!

I'm off to uni next year, and don't know what I'm going to do without it...

scottieUK said:
NASN is a God send! Where you going to Uni?
loughborough.. I start in October, I'm hoping to play american football there as well.

scottieUK said:
Best of luck. I played for the Brighton B52`s when I was your age.
Yeah, I've always wanted to play. I've got a decent frame (6'5 200) so I'm sure I can play somewhere.

I really like Brighton, I was actually considering going to uni there... but my campus was in Moulescoomb and I didnt like that particular area.

Back
Top Bottom