R we planning on signing anyone on Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

R we planning on signing anyone on Defense

hunter5nc1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
B/c we already got rid of Marion and I heard we were getting rid of Knight Sounds like it is going to be a long season to me

Mod Note: The text that follows appears to be pasted without attribution and may be copyrighted material. Please remember that we cannot carry copyrighted material here from other sources, excepting a brief abstract. An abstract in combination with a link is permissible and works fine for all parties. If this is copyrighted, please attribute it properly, reduce it to a brief abstract and provide a link to the balance of the article or we will have to remove it. Sorry to be all parental here, but we have a legal responsibility. Thanks.

On Thursday, the Dolphins re-signed safety Arturo Freeman to a two-year deal. Freeman, a backup to Marion and strong safety Sammy Knight last season, was told before he signed that either Marion or Knight would be let go to pave the way for him to win a starting job if he has a good offseason and training camp.

''It's part of football, and Brock understands that,'' said agent Jordan Woy, who represents Marion. ``It's never a good feeling when you've played for a team for several years and they decide to go another way. But it's probably a financial windfall for Brock because now he'll be available from the start of free agency.''

Woy said he didn't get the sense the Dolphins would bring Marion back later.

''I don't see that happening,'' Woy said.

The Dolphins saved $1 million on Marion, who was due to count for $2.65 million against the cap this season. He had three years and $1.65 million of signing bonus proration remaining on his contract.

The Dolphins save $1.44 million by releasing McKnight, who was scheduled to count for $2.16 million against the cap in 2004. The difference in the figures is based on the signing bonus McKnight received in 2001.

Cutting Dixon, who did not play last season because of a lingering ankle injury, saved the Dolphins a little less than $500,000.

FIEDLER'S FUTURE

I wonder why Dixon just doesn't retire.

I don't think it's likely that we cut Knight unless somebody cheaper and clearly better falls into our lap. The more likely option is that Knight restructures. Those should be our starters. As backups, they seem to really like Bell and I think they will resign Wooden. We also may pick up a guy late in the draft, maybe Dolfanmike's boy.

Back
Top Bottom