Raheem Mostert “ Look where I’m at now” ex Miami Dolphin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raheem Mostert “ Look where I’m at now” ex Miami Dolphin

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

And he was — for a week and a half — before the Dolphins signed Mostert off Philly’s practice squad.

“He performed well,” Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said. “He’s a guy we liked. I thought he had some versatility on special teams, not just as a returner. He was covering kicks. It seems like he has a good work ethic.”

Mostert had been with the Eagles in Atlanta for a Monday night game when told he was now a Dolphin. Without heading back to Philadelphia to collect his things, he flew to South Florida for a fresh start.

“I’m starting kickoff returner this week and then I will be trying to get in some special teams work, trying to get in the groove of things,” he said upon arriving in Davie.

The Dolphins sought Mostert to save wear and tear on Jarvis Landry, who was coming off a week in which he’d been named AFC special teams player of the week. Five days into his Dolphins career, Mostert returned kickoffs for 25 and 32 yards in a 23-20 loss to Jacksonville.

But Mostert was inactive for the following two games, during which time Philbin was fired and replaced by interim coach Dan Campbell.

A week later, Mostert was released.

Then, the Dolphins experienced what it was like to have Mostert snatched from their noses. When the Ravens called, saying they were signing him onto their active roster, Mostert was in the Dolphins’ offices, ready to re-sign onto the practice squad.

“I had to hurry to get out of there,” Mostert said. “It was a blessing.”

Just posted it to say he was here on his journey to the 49ers. Sorry if you don’t like this being a thread.

He was also with the Raven, Bears, and Browns. Along with Dolphins and now 49er.
He's been with the 49ers..what 4 seasons and until this season hade like 300 yards total and ONE TD.

I remember him being signed, I don't remember why but I knew he had some splash potential. But he just had a brief snippet and that was it. When he popped up last year and started getting some running opportunities with the 49ers I was rooting for him, but he suffered a horrible arm break and I figured a guy like that probably lost his one chance, especially since the 49ers collect running backs like Bellichek does illegal scouting tapes. I don't understand quite how it happens that he emerges from fifth on the depth chart to become a lead dog when its not like the others are slouches, but happy to see him.

That whole 49ers run game is fun to watch. I'm rooting for the Chiefs due to having some family that are lifelong fans but I'm certainly happy for the 49ers as well.

He was also with the Raven, Bears, and Browns. Along with Dolphins and now 49er.
He's been with the 49ers..what 4 seasons and until this season hade like 300 yards total and ONE TD.

Why people overreact to a player stepping up and having a career game, or even season, as if it was a mistake for half a dozen teams to pass on him, is beyond me. I really don't understand why people overreact as if we've never seen something like this before.

Anybody remember Timmy Smith? He gained over 200 yards in the SB and won MVP. So what?

Raheem Mostert isn't suddenly some great RB. A switch didn't suddenly flip. He's the same player he's been. The difference is situation. He happens to be on a very good and deep team where a lot of players are having success. The 49ers have three RB's that performed well for them this season. Because their o-line and offensive scheme has been really efficient. Doesn't really matter who carries the ball for them. Hell, they could probably line up Deebo Samuel at RB full time and he'd light it up too. Dude runs like a RB.

Why people overreact to a player stepping up and having a career game, or even season, as if it was a mistake for half a dozen teams to pass on him, is beyond me. I really don't understand why people overreact as if we've never seen something like this before.

Anybody remember Timmy Smith? He gained over 200 yards in the SB and won MVP. So what?

Raheem Mostert isn't suddenly some great RB. A switch didn't suddenly flip. He's the same player he's been. The difference is situation. He happens to be on a very good and deep team where a lot of players are having success. The 49ers have three RB's that performed well for them this season. Because their o-line and offensive scheme has been really efficient. Doesn't really matter who carries the ball for them. Hell, they could probably line up Deebo Samuel at RB full time and he'd light it up too. Dude runs like a RB.

Mostert average 5.6 YPC over 137 attempts. That's pretty darn good. I'm not gonna act like he's CJ2k, Adrian Peterson or anything, but he's got NFL caliber skills. The 49ers are a good team and their specialty is running the football, do doubt. Tevin Coleman is a good running back and he was paid like one in preseason. Matt Breida is a very good running back. He's an elusive back whose vision and burst to hole is outstanding. His career YPC is 5. He's not on the field because of fumbles.

Anyway you slice it, Mostert is gonna start in the Super Bowl for an outstanding running team. He deserves props for perseverance and SF deserves props for taking a position where they were already deepest in the league and giving a chance to their #5 guy.

Just call it like it is, He didn't come with a draft pedigree so pretty much no team would choose to keep him over one of their beloved draft picks even if its a 6th rounder..

If more teams were like the 49ers and truly kept the best 53, alot of draft picks would get cast aside for these guys and the G.M. would fear it making him look bad so they cut guys like this.. Sad but true for the NFL and even with this he won't be signed as more then a backup RB for some other team but at least if he is signed to a decent contract he will be on the other end of the NFL spectrum.. G.M.s won't want to let him go because then they look like Morons for signing him to a decent money contract.

Interesting to see the journey of a low-profile player, and glad he can use whatever motivation he can, but I don't think that there's any case of 'we let a good one go'. He was bouncing around practice squads for a reason, and it sounds like we wanted him back but he took a better offer. Some players just blossom late.

I will however not be surprised to see a comment at some point blaming Grier for letting him go :lol:

What's the big deal? I'm sure those other teams have a thread about him on their forums. If you don't like the topic, you always have the option to not click on it and post about it.

I understand that as I can read. That is why this is in the general NFL forum brother.

I understood exactly why you posted this and thanks for the read. Pretty cool to hear about his journey . . . .he was extremely impressive on Sunday.

I know I don't have to tell you this, and I may not comment very much in them, but I often read and enjoy posts like this from you as it offers a change of pace from the main.

Please don't let hysterical posters deter you from posting these type of articles. It is appreciated to have them in one spot and setup to enjoy.

I understood exactly why you posted this and thanks for the read. Pretty cool to hear about his journey . . . .he was extremely impressive on Sunday.

I know I don't have to tell you this, and I may not comment very much in them, but I often read and enjoy posts like this from you as it offers a change of pace from the main.

Please don't let hysterical posters deter you from posting these type of articles. It is appreciated to have them in one spot and setup to enjoy.
Thanks brother for the kind words. Have a great day!
John

I had to revisit this thread after realizing the amount of carries we gave Patrick Laird, Myles Gaskin, and Kallen Ballage, who together have about the same talent as Mostert. And that's not because Mostert is insanely talented or that guys like him can't be found around the league. It's the fact that they can be found floating around that makes it suck all the more we had such non-talents on the roster. Now Mostert wouldn't have done as well in Miami with our putrid line, but he still has speed and skill when a hole is there that our current backs just don't have.

Dude has always been fast as hell, I'm surprised it's taken him this long to "break out".

Teams still underestimating pure speed smh, he shouldn't have bounced around the league like he has.

He is just a solid all around back is what I remember for a guy his listed weight he ran with some decent power too. Frankly if all was fair he outplayed our starters i remember and it is just one of those things that sucks about the NFL.. IF your a UDFA going against any type of draft pick your not going to get picked because the G.M. doesn't want to look stupid for a UDFA taking the spot of a draft pick.

Back
Top Bottom