Randy Mcmichael extension? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mcmichael extension?

Randy is alright at catching the ball but that alone doesn't make him top 5 at the position. He can't block for **** so I could really care less about him.

FiN.in.RI said:
McMike should work on his blocking before he works on his negotiations

Be that as it may, I'd rather him working on his catching. He lost 2 games for us last year.

Sorry, but I forget what happens if someone matches our offer if we tag someone. What happens? Dont we get their 1st?

we could trade him and get a lot in return, he is worth more then 1 1st to me

actually if we tag him and he gets signed and we dont match we get two first rounders.

WestCoastPhins said:
actually if we tag him and he gets signed and we dont match we get two first rounders.

thnx for clarifying that.

I think Saban wants a year to analyze him and see how he does in Linehan's offense. Then he gets tagged it'll be about $3 million on hold while the team negotiates a long term deal. There's nothing gained by resigning him this offseason.

WestCoastPhins said:

Right, but it could also be similar to the situation with Edge & Alexander, where it was rumored that the Colts & 'Hawks were willing to trade them for a 2nd rounder. So if we tag him & acceptable compensation is offered, we could deal him for less.....

There's no question on the quality of this TE.

But there're two big things HC Saban is worried on McMichael's:
1) Randy still have many legal issues because of hitting her then pregnant wife.
2) Saban wants a different TE of what RM is willing to offer.
Nick needs a blocking, sacrifice TE with no-so-loaded pass activity.
Randy wants to become a big numbers TE, so he wants to achive tons of yards and TD.

Saban wants that kind of TE because he wants a versatile offense (Far away from Wanny's running oriented scheme), so his TE will catch a lot, as the ace in the offense, but his primary role will be to support OL in order to open holes for running men, and avoid sacks blocking as wall. Under that concept, our TE's numbers won't be amazing, but overall offense's will be wild.

Randy's value is worth of signing, but Randy's agent surely is pushing and driving McMichael to say he doesn't want that role. This may means payment's moving up and that's what may be stopping Saban to extend Randy's contract by now.

Another reason of Saban's position is because he's waiting for many interesting cuts that may improve seriously our team. There's no one on target by now, but maybe in June- July there're going to become obvious.

AllianceCollect said:
Right, but it could also be similar to the situation with Edge & Alexander, where it was rumored that the Colts & 'Hawks were willing to trade them for a 2nd rounder. So if we tag him & acceptable compensation is offered, we could deal him for less.....
It's May 2005 and we surely won't know it before January 2006, but ....
Which team will offer two first rounds for a TE in 2006???
Which team may offer a 2nd & 3rd rounds for a TE in 2006???

VanDolPhan said:
I think Saban wants a year to analyze him and see how he does in Linehan's offense. Then he gets tagged it'll be about $3 million on hold while the team negotiates a long term deal. There's nothing gained by resigning him this offseason.
Good point.
But letme tell there's just something we may will by extending the contract. Many of the clauses (incentives) may become more handly if we move that by now.

Back
Top Bottom