Randy Mueller Fired! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mueller Fired!

Mueller made some of the worst decisions I have ever seen. All Saints fans should be celebrating on the streets that this moron was fired.

What decisions were those iceblizzard? Granted the Albert Connel signing was, for lack of a better word, moronic. Other than that, he lifted a bottom-dwelling franchise to the NFC West champion, in the same division as the Rams. I coul o into greater detail about his personnel moves, but that 10-6 record 2 years ago speaks for itself. If you are basing this on him tradin Rick Williams, and I think you are, just remember Ricky didn't fit there. Ricky is an enomous talent, but he was not Mueller's or Haslett's guy.

Yeah, but he didn't try hard enough to get Johnson or Glover back and he could of gotten a second rounder for Roaf if he was hated so much.

I actually agree with Mueller's logic in not resigning Glover. How much would you pay for a 1 dimensional DT? Glover was superb at rushing the QB, but didn't hold up agains the run very well. The reason Dallas paid him so much is he fits their system. Mueller could have gone after Johnson a little more, but if I remember correctly, he wanted a whole lot of money.

There is no way Mueller could have gotten a 2nd for Roaf, and he knew it. If I remember correctly, that is what he was asking for at first, maybe it was a 3rd. He brought the price way down after no one was willing to give up that much.

BMarion31 ...

Mueller gets a lot of good press because he is very close friends with John Clayton at ESPN, but over-rated doesn't begin to describe him , and this off-season brought the loss of Ricky Williams, Joe Johnson, LeRoi Glover, Willie Roaf, and probably Willie Jackson, and the Joe Horn holdout situation. Now while I agree that the Cowboys overpaid for Glover, how would you feel if 5 of our best players left town and what you have to show for it is Charles Grant, and two conditional picks next year (most likely a late 2nd , and a late 3rd). And if you look at production, you are talking about their three most productive offensive players and 2 of the top 4 defensive players. Martin Chase is no LeRoi Glover, and trading the Johnson/Howard duo for Howard/Grant is quite a step down. So a defense that was already gored by the running game last year, gets worse on the DL. ( oh I forgot they signed the mountain that is Grady "FatMan"Jackson from the Raiders (we all know how great they were vs. the run last year.)

Then you factor in the thug quality of the players he brought in, after stating that character was going to be his modus operandi, and Benson had taken the last black eye.

Here's a blurb on the players he brought in to that volatile locker room, that quit last year.

The team's top free-agent acquisition, cornerback Dale Carter, was banned from the league for the entire 2000 season and half of 2001 after violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Worse, his well-documented bankruptcy case in February drew national scrutiny and reflected poorly on the Saints' judgment in giving Carter a huge contract.

Another high-profile free-agent signee, right tackle Victor Riley, was suspended by the NFL for the first game of the 2002 season for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. While a member of the Kansas City Chiefs in May 2001, Riley was accused of ramming his car several times into a vehicle occupied by his wife and infant daughter in Overland Park, Kan. Riley was charged with felony counts of aggravated assault and criminal damage to property and misdemeanor counts of child endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident.

A lesser-known acquisition, offensive lineman Jeff Chase, was slipped quietly onto the roster unannounced this spring. Chase, one of eight Saints players allocated to NFL Europe, where he is a reserve for the Frankfurt Galaxy, served a one-year prison term after being arrested in 1995 for conspiracy to distribute cocaine.

Meantime, four of the nine players Mueller selected in the April 20-21 NFL draft have had run- ins with the law, including first-round pick Charles Grant and second-round pick LeCharles Bentley. Grant, a defensive end from Georgia, was suspended for the Bulldogs' first game of the 2001 season after pleading guilty to a Jan. 20 misdemeanor charge for soliciting sex from an undercover police officer. Bentley, an offensive lineman from Ohio State, is being sued by former Buckeyes teammate Tyson Walter for $50,000 in damages for emotional trauma and severe facial injuries that resulted from an incident during winter conditioning drills in February 2000.

Keyuo Craver, a fourth-round pick from Nebraska, was cited for DUI in Phoenix in late January, an incident that he concealed at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Seventh-round pick Derrius Monroe, a defensive end from Virginia Tech, was suspended for the 2000 season because of felony drug charges that were eventually dropped. The charges stemmed from an arrest in January 2000 in which Monroe was charged with possession of 0.62 grams of cocaine with the intent to distribute, a felony. Monroe later pleaded guilty to a charge of simple possession, also a felony, to receive probation as part of a plea agreement. He was reinstated to the team four days before the 2001 season.

Moreover, these acquisitions were made after the disastrous 0-4 finish to the 2001 season that Saints officials blamed primarily on a lack of leadership and chemistry in the locker room. Only weeks earlier, Mueller had overhauled the roster, promising to emphasize character and leadership ability during offseason player evaluations.

And as for bringing them to the playoffs, under Meuller and Haslett the Saints have only beaten ONE TEAM, that finished with a winning record ... ... the Rams. All of the other wins came vs. the weak sisters of the NFC (and the Bills and Chargers).

The Saints are my favorite NFC team. And I for one am glad that Mule got the boot, I was tired of the drafts not producing one quality football player.

That's quite a "Thug Quality" list of guys that Mueller brought in.
Sounds similar to JJ at his best/worst.
Not to downplay the offenses of these guys that the Saints have brought in, but, I would like to raise a question on this matter.
Could you not scour any NFL (or most any other pro sports roster)
and come up with dirt and dirty laundry on some of the members of that particular team?
It just seems like today, there are just less and lees people that are 100% squeaky clean and who don't have some sort of skeleton in their closet.

They were going to move Martin Chase inside anyway. From what I understood, they wanted to move Glover to DE and have that bulk inside with Norman Hand. Grady Jackson fits that bill.

William Roaf had to go. He and Joe Horn's situation (the rumors about Horn fathering Roaf's kid have not gone away) were a negative influence in the locker room. One of them had to go. And it came to down to production. Horn's still a stud. Roaf might not even make it back to 100%.

Still, that team has a long way to go in the locker room. That atmosphere has got to change, or else they'll never be a contender. Haslett just got extended, so Benson's commited to him. We'll learn more about the truth of the firing and the direction of this team when we see what kinds of players Benson brings in.

Originally posted by scotgif

Not to downplay the offenses of these guys that the Saints have brought in, but, I would like to raise a question on this matter.
Could you not scour any NFL (or most any other pro sports roster)
and come up with dirt and dirty laundry on some of the members of that particular team?

Certainly you could, but you'd have to dig deep to find one off-season, and one draft that brought so much "Cell Block talent" in to a team's roster. I mean, that's not a list including the rest of the roster, that is only the off-season aquisitions.

posted my Muck ....
William Roaf had to go. He and Joe Horn's situation (the rumors about Horn fathering Roaf's kid have not gone away) were a negative influence in the locker room. One of them had to go. And it came to down to production. Horn's still a stud.
Remember Horn is also a hold-out, via Meuller, who reportedly promised him a new extension during the season, and then told him there was NO WAY he was getting ANY new contract or $$$, after the season. Hence the holdout.

I really liked Glover on that team since he was next to Norman Hand, a guy we should have never let leave. :yell:

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I really liked Glover on that team since he was next to Norman Hand, a guy we should have never let leave. :yell:

And I really hope I don't ever have to say that about Lorenzo Bromell.

Hand got lost in the numbers game and didn't EARN a roster spot. Do you want a guy taking a spot on your team that he hasn't earned? I don't. If he never got released he may never have gotten his weight under control.

Hand became a slob again this year, lost almost all productivity and Glover dissapointed as well.

When your run-stuffer is playing bad, and the other DT can't stop the run to save his life, you have problems, and one of them had to go.

Their D with, or without Glover will struggle this year anyway, unless half of them have career years.

Back
Top Bottom