Randy Mueller | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mueller

GreenFin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think a lot of us want this guy to be GM but I'm not too confident that he will be the one. I was reading some of his old Q&A on espn Insiders and a guy asked him about the GM/Head coach relationship. He said it is important that they communicate yada yada yada. Basically what you'd expect to hear. But he said something that really struck me:

"The other issue at stake is, as a head coach under the gun to win every game, his criteria for certain personnel decisions might not have the long-term implications that are best for the team or organization. Sometimes a GM can focus on the longer term a bit better."

I couldn't help but think of Wanny's situation here. Based on what we've heard from Dave in regards to drafting for the future I just don't think Mueller will be the guy. I don't think they see eye to eye and my feeling is they will bring in a young guy like Ruskell who has never been a GM and will be a little more flexible. In my opinion that's bad news for Dolfans. Dave's sights are set on the short term and when he's finished in Miami, be it this year or 3 years from now, this team will probably still be without a championship and a poor foundation for the future.

I disagree. That would in essence be setting up what we already have. Dave should have some input into the situation, but not the final say.

The guy is real respected around the league. I wouldn't put too much stock in an old interview.

He's respected, but there is an idea floating around out there that he didn't land a job in the last two years because Saints owner Tom Benson has been bad mouthing him at the owners meetings. There is also some sentiment that many around the NFL don't like him because he isn't part of the 'ole boy network where personnel guys seemingly get recycled like crazy.

Don't get me wrong. I want Mueller in here. I think he is the perfect guy for the job. He has experience and he's well respected around the league. But I know that Wanny will have input on who is picked. The higher ups said it is important to bring in someone who is on the same page as the coach. The quote I gave was from the middle of the season this year and shows that Wanny and Randy's views are different. I just think this whole GM thing is very cosmetic and was done to take pressure of of Dave. Mueller will not be dumb enough to come into a situation where he will not have the majority of the personnel power and he will not have that here. It kills me to think this but I just don't think Dave has lost as much of the "final decision" power as most of us think. They'll bring in a GM who'll just do whatever Dave wants.

He will have it. Dave will have no power over personnel decisions.

You also can't have a situation like the Bears had the past two years, where the GM and Head Coach hated each other and continually tried to stab each other in the back.

I don't think Eddie Moore was a "win now" selection, Nor was Jamar Fletcher a totally "win now" selection.....I think that your theory is a bit off and that Wannstedt has been more responsible towards the future of this team than you give him credit for.

I was also kinda hoping that the new GM would be more of a win now type guy, and this turns me off to Mueller a bit, although I still think he is the best candidate.

Eddie Moore was brought in to contribute right away on Special teams and to possible push Greenwood for the starting job. Jamar Fletcher was brought in to be the nickel back. In this defensive scheme the nickel back is in for a majority of the plays. These guys weren't brought in for the future. They were brought in to play right away.

And while a win now attitude is good, especially with a team this close, you can't neglect drafting players for the future. Dave does not believe in this. He drafts to plug holes. And he uses high picks to do so. Most of us can agree that Fletcher and Moore were not popular picks. Why? Because at the time we needed help at QB and WR. But he didn't want to draft someone who would have to sit on the beanch and learn for one or two years so he played it "safe" and picked two guys to contribute now. And while the verdict is still out on Moore, we all know that Fletcher was a bust.

I just feel like he is so concerned with winning now that he is passing up chances to draft players who may not contribute right away but can down the road. And when he's gone that will leave this team in a bad spot.

And onm another note why not play players like JR Tolver and Sage Rosenfels in the Jets game. The game meant nothing but it would allow them to get some valuable game experience. But Wanny wouldn't do it because he was more concerned with winning the game to pad his win-loss record.

His thinking is flawed and will hurt this team in the long run.

I think, you are arguing the exact opposite of what the truth is.The thinking behind the Flecther pick was not only for nickell back but, also to take over for Madison in the future If anyone was going to be counted on to upgrade the nickell back slot that year, Cousins would have been moreso than Fletcher. Being a veteran with starting experience it is a little unreasonable for anyone to think that a late first round draft pick is going to outplay him for the spot.....Eddie Moore was the epitome of drafting for the future and to say that he was brought in as a "win now' type player is just simply wrong..... Dave saying that he was chosen to compete with Morlon and star on special teams was just a BS line that Wanny used to shut people up about the pick.....Or more accurately, to shut up the people who were screaming "What happened to winning now???"...... Wade Smith was definately not an immediate starter pick....Donald Lee....????...Chris Chambers is about the only pick that I can recall that I would classify as a "need" pick at the time.....If anything Wanny has proven that he thinks too much about the future and not enough about winning now....And if you think about it further that goes right along with his conservative personality....

I think Mule does a great job of wheeling and dealing. That's something that would benefit the franchise. However, he doesn't appear to be a high integrity guy and I believe that integrity is something that Wayne H. values highly. If Mule isn't hired, this will be the reason.

I think Mule does too much "wheeling and dealing". That's not to say he hasn't made some good picks and no-brainer trades. He strikes me as someone who will screw around with something just to be screwing around with it.

Here is a sample of his moves.

1996 Mirer sucks again. He ships him to Wanny for a first rounder.

He maneuvers and nabs Walter Jones and Shawn Springs. He goes into FA and signs Warren Moon. Your thinking what an idiot right?
Moon goes to the Pro Bowl.

And that was just one off-season.

From waht I understand, the GM doesn't give or have to give a rat's *** what the coach thinks about his personnel decisions. If Dave gets mad, ok, boo hoo. I think Mueller is the best so far, although I'm growing on the Tampa guy (Truskel?)

Jaj,

It's a difference in perspective. Some of you guys like action for action's sake. This team does not need a major overhaul. Mule strikes me as a guy who will screw around with something just to be doing it.

Back
Top Bottom