Randy Mueller's take on Ricky(ESPN Insider) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mueller's take on Ricky(ESPN Insider)

nando03

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
For all of you who have ESPN Insider I'll put the link below. I was reading this just now and thought maybe some of you would like to read it and discuss it. This isn't the whole article and it's titled, "Dolphins not crazy for wanting Ricky back". Its written by Randy Mueller and he talks about his brief stint with him and why it's smart to have him back.

By drafting running back Ronnie Brown in the first round this year, the Dolphins now are in a very similar situation to where we were in New Orleans once we acquired McAllister. It just might make sense to have Williams now. With Brown, they have an option. They have insurance against Williams going AWOL again, and they have peace of mind.
I've said all along that the Dolphins didn't make a mistake obtaining Williams in the first place; it was the fact he was their one and only option that was their downfall. We all saw what he was capable of during the 2002 season, when he had a monster year. Nobody was worried then about the two first-round choices given up. But we also all saw how risky it is to have Ricky as your only option.

Forget, for a minute, the fact he reportedly weighs 195 pounds at present. If he returns to the Dolphins, all it will cost them is a roster spot. This is a team that went 4-12 without him, and I guarantee you the current players didn't think that was much fun. What's wrong with a little depth? This time around, he'll be an extra guy, not "the guy." He's not going to shake up the chemistry in the locker room because he's really a loner and does his own thing anyway.

-Randy Muller

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mueller&id=2066767

Here is the link for those of you who have ESPN Insider. In case you want to read the entire article.

What do you guys think about what Randy says in this article?

Oh yeah, and I'm sorry that I started another thread on Ricky, but this is a new article that I haven't seen posted and just saw this morning. Please don't bash me too hard.

I think that both Ricky and Boston are now low risk, high reward options. If they flake out, we weren't counting on them and they won't cost us anything. But if we hit on just one of them we'd have an incredible talent backing up a skill position, who will be extremely thankful and loyal to Saban for the opportunity. I think Nick has made it a win-win for both. And if both of them perform... wow.

changed his tune from his radio bit yesterday

I think the biggest point he makes is about us not having had a back-up plan before. We now have many more options other then Ricky.

He's right. Ricky adds depth, possible explosive duo in backfield with Ronnie, and he will come cheap. The kicker is...if he has a good, healthy, and trouble free season he will be trade bait for next season. Cha ching/draft pick.

razorphin said:
He's right. Ricky adds depth, possible explosive duo in backfield with Ronnie, and he will come cheap. The kicker is...if he has a good, healthy, and trouble free season he will be trade bait for next season. Cha ching/draft pick.

yeah because he has said he will only play 2 more seasons (this year being one). So, I see teams trading for a guy who only wants to play 1 more year, who is also one failed drug test away from being suspended for a year, and a guy who is mentally insane who could just walk away at anytime! Yeah, bring on theat 6th or 7th round pick! :shakeno:

Do you really think Ricky will only play for another 2 years? Is it possible for him to just want to stay here and play for less behind Ronnie Brown so that he isn't in the spot light like he used to be? If thats the case will he want to play longer?

MikeO said:
yeah because he has said he will only play 2 more seasons (this year being one). So, I see teams trading for a guy who only wants to play 1 more year, who is also one failed drug test away from being suspended for a year, and a guy who is mentally insane who could just walk away at anytime! Yeah, bring on theat 6th or 7th round pick! :shakeno:

Your going to start putting stock in what Ricky says?

The reality of his situation is that he has multiple children to support with various mothers, I expect him to play as long as his health holds out which could easily be another 4 or 5 years.

There is every possibility he will either play them here or play well this year and be traded for a draft pick after this year.

Back
Top Bottom