Rank the Second Tier WR | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank the Second Tier WR

Great question. Two points.

1. This might be a great Poll if you choose to make another thread @BahamaFinFan78
2. Kudos for not listing Kyle Pitts as he is a TE and would derail your conversation.

Honestly, I'm usually pretty decent at ranking WR's, but this class is quite hard after the first few. Rondale Moore is small with an injury history, so you're not really ranking his top end potential because he will have difficulty beating press and staying healthy. Some of the other WR's might not even be considered second tier in other drafts, as they're rather average. Last year's second tier class really balled out, so the expectations are probably too high for this year's class, IMHO. Then you get guys like Kadarius Toney, who is extremely electric ... but harder to project to the NFL. Is he the guy we saw a couple years ago, who is good and has potential, or is he the older Toney we saw last year who really exploded? Can he maintain that productivity with the step up to the NFL? Is he big enough?

Last year it was easier for me. It was pretty clear that a Tee Higgins and Chase Claypool were going to be successful. But the success of a Claypool in the 2nd round has raised expectations for a Kyle Pitts to the point he's now likely to be the highest TE prospect ever drafted. Pitts is a great prospect, but not sure he really needs those type of expectations, because TE is a very tough transition from the collegiate ranks. Similarly, there's a lot of true WR's who are tough to project. Not sure I'm really confident enough in my current rankings to rank them, even this close to the draft. I'll just say that I'm a believer that there is a bigger gap from the top guy (Ja'Marr Chase) to the guys in the second tier than most people seem to think. But, I'm not sure that the gap from the second tier to the third tier is quite as big as most people think.

Each year the internet prepares QB's and WR's earlier and earlier, to the point where they come to college pretty sophisticated on offense, and the college coaches can really build upon that to prepare them for the NFL. Each year the game increases its offensive focus and pass-centric offenses. More and more elite athletes are leaning towards WR and less towards LB, DE, and DB. This means it's a lot easier to find those great WR's deeper and deeper in the draft, but those elite defensive players are getting harder and harder to acquire ... thus bidding up the value of those defenders and dropping the draft positions of all those WR's.

I think Rondale Moore is going to be a good pro, but I’d be lying if I said I thought drafting a 5’7 wr in the mid first or early second didn’t scare the hell out of me. He reminds me so much of Tyreke Hill with the ball in his hands and I think he’s a great compliment to our current WRs.

Bateman and Marshall are guys I wouldn’t really want to look at with pick 18 if for some reason we don’t go with a pass catcher at 6, they are probably the most talented guys left, but they are really redundant to what we have.

rondale
Bateman
Marshall
Toney
Elijah

that’s how I’d rank them but I’m hoping we don’t have to draft any of them

Personally , I feel like the second teir wr are all very close in terms of NFL upside.

However I will say that Rondale Moore is getting slept on , simply because he played for Purdue.

St.Brown is a real wildcard , Usc is a known haven for wr prospects.

Toney is the beneficiary of all the times pits drew double teams , he's my biggest question mark.

The rest are probably jags.

Marshall is also from a wr university , he has a chance just by percentage of greats (or good enough) to come from Lsu.

Back
Top Bottom