Rank the top 5 DBs... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rank the top 5 DBs...

Nasty said:
Why is Jimmy Williams falling down draft boards? I mean, I love it because it gives us a better shot at getting him... but I dont see how he isnt the best DB in the draft? Huff is great and all... but IMO, not better than Jimmy Williams...

Because he plays slow. I don't know if runs faster than a 4.55. He got abused by Georgia Tech sophomore Calvin Johnson this year & exposed a weakness which is the fade. Williams best bet is safety.

1-Huff, Texas
2-Cromartie, Florida St
3-Williams, Va Tech
4-Youboty, Ohio St
5-Simpson, South Carolina
6-Bing, USC

Though at this point I don't think Cromartie will go ahead of Williams or Youboty because of his injury.

SMadison29 said:
Because he plays slow. I don't know if runs faster than a 4.55. He got abused by Georgia Tech sophomore Calvin Johnson this year & exposed a weakness which is the fade. Williams best bet is safety.

1-Huff, Texas
2-Cromartie, Florida St
3-Williams, Va Tech
4-Youboty, Ohio St
6-Bing, USC

Though at this point I don't think Cromartie will go ahead of Williams or Youboty because of his injury.

I would love to snag Cromartie in the 2nd.. Alonng with either Cutler or Huff in the 1st and Whitehurst or Chrles Spencer in the 3rd..

SMadison29 said:

1-Huff, Texas
2-Cromartie, Florida St
3-Williams, Va Tech
4-Youboty, Ohio St
6-Bing, USC

I completely disagree...

First of all, Calvin Johnson is the best WR in the country. If he could come out this year, he would be the first WR taken and probably a top 10 pick.

Second of all, Jimmy Williams is faster than a 4.55... According to everything I have read, he runs in the 4.4s. He might have been injured during the game you saw and been slower than normal, but his speed is fine, especially when coupled with his size.

Third, even IF he is a saftey in the NFL, he is still the best DB in the draft. He played saftey in college also. He is big and very physical, and fast for his size... A ball hawk and a play maker.

IMO, he is a lock for the top spot...

Second of all, Jimmy Williams is faster than a 4.55... According to everything I have read, he runs in the 4.4s. He might have been injured during the game you saw and been slower than normal, but his speed is fine, especially when coupled with his size.

I know what they say he runs but he plays slower. Jimmy Williams was supposed to be the best corner in college & he got abused by an inexperienced Calvin Johnson. Jimmy is gonna face WRs three times as better than Johnson. Last year when he played safety he tried to cover Reggie Bush, that didn't turn out too well either, over 100 yards receiving & 3 TDs. Michael Huff is the best DB in the draft & he would be followed by Cromartie had he not been hurt.

SMadison29 said:
I know what they say he runs but he plays slower. Jimmy Williams was supposed to be the best corner in college & he got abused by an inexperienced Calvin Johnson. Jimmy is gonna face WRs three times as better than Johnson. Last year when he played safety he tried to cover Reggie Bush, that didn't turn out too well either, over 100 yards receiving & 3 TDs. Michael Huff is the best DB in the draft & he would be followed by Cromartie had he not been hurt.

He did have that one bad game. But to say he cant cover fast WRs isnt true. He had a great game vs. Sinorice Moss (and extremely fast WR). Moss to only 4 catches for 27 yards...

Nasty said:
He did have that one bad game. But to say he cant cover fast WRs isnt true. He had a great game vs. Sinorice Moss (and extremely fast WR). Moss to only 4 catches for 27 yards...

That would be impressive if Dorsey was the QB but our pass offense sucks. I'll have to look at the tape to see how often Williams covered Sinorice because Williams played exclusively on the short side of the field this year & I would think Miami played Sinorice a lot to the wide side of the field to give him space to work with.

SMadison29 said:
That would be impressive if Dorsey was the QB but our pass offense sucks. I'll have to look at the tape to see how often Williams covered Sinorice because Williams played exclusively on the short side of the field this year & I would think Miami played Sinorice a lot to the wide side of the field to give him space to work with.

Take a look at the film... Let me know how much he covered him...

but regardless... he can hang with WRs. If he runs in the 4.5s I will agree with you, but I honestly believe that he is faster than that... and plays faster than that too...

but regardless... he can hang with WRs. If he runs in the 4.5s I will agree with you, but I honestly believe that he is faster than that... and plays faster than that too...

Again, I'm not saying that he doesn't run in the 4.4s he just looks slow to me. Calvin Johnson isn't the fastest guy & he blew by Williams a couple of times, including his season long 59 yarder.

SMadison29 said:
Again, I'm not saying that he doesn't run in the 4.4s he just looks slow to me. Calvin Johnson isn't the fastest guy & he blew by Williams a couple of times, including his season long 59 yarder.

Well, I didnt get to see that game. Did he make any fakes that got him past JW? or did he run right by?

Regardless though, I have seen alot of his games, and he is the most talented DB I have seen. I also think he fits our defense perfectly. He is a physical guy that is strong in run support, PLUS he is also versitile CB/S... Everything Saban could ask for. IMO, he fits our scheme better than Huff (even though I know thats not what we were debating)

Well, I didnt get to see that game. Did he make any fakes that got him past JW? or did he run right by?

Here's what I wrote up after the game:

I agree. They weren't matched up much of the day because Jimmy Williams plays VT's "boundary" corner, which is on the short side of the field to support the run on the outside, & Calvin Johnson lines up on the wide side of the field most of the time to work in space, but the few times they were matched up together Calvin Johnson made Williams look stupid.

Of Johnson's 5 catches, 123 yards & a TD, his #s when Williams were on him were 3 catches for 90 yards & a TD. On Johnson's first catch vs Williams, Williams was nowhere to be seen. He "thought" he saw something & left one of the country's best receivers wide open for a 20 yard reception. Beamer was yellin at em afterwards. On Johnson's second catch vs Jimmy he got him to bite on a double move, which brings into question Williams' recovery speed because he didn't recover. 59 yards later GT was in scoring position. And on the final catch, an 11 yard jump ball touchdown, Williams looked lost. Johnson only has an inch on Williams so it should have been a lot tougher. Williams never got turned.

I only saw three VT games all season and was disappointed with Jimmy Williams in all three. I saw him get beat at least five times, and for three touchdowns.

My list would go

Huff
Cromartie
Williams
Youboty
Tye Hill

Back
Top Bottom