Ranking Dolphins' five biggest 2020 salary cap bargains | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking Dolphins' five biggest 2020 salary cap bargains

Interesting bit on Roberts, perhaps Cox gets cut? Save a roster spot for another position? How often does Gailey use a FB? We did have Rob Konrad last time Gailey worked for the dolphins, and he was utilized.

5. LB Elandon Roberts
2020 salary cap hit: $2 million

This was one of my favorite under-the-radar free agent signings of the offseason. Head coach Brian Flores knows Elandon Roberts extremely well from their days in New England together, and the inside linebacker will be a very strong addition to Miami's front seven.

With the Patriots in 2019, Roberts totaled 29 tackles, which was a dip from his usual production of 60-plus tackles on a given year. That was likely due to the 26-year-old playing both ways throughout the season, lining up at fullback on the offensive side of the ball. Roberts also logged 32% of New England's special teams snaps. With the Dolphins, Roberts could continue to bring that versatility to the table or be a bruising thumper in the middle of the defense.

This signing baffled me as I can’t see why New England didn’t re-sign Roberts. I mean a measly $2 million for a versatile 2 way player, special teams ace, and team captain? Why let him walk for that?

I guess I should just accept the good fortune of what appears to be a major bargain. Maybe This is retribution for them stealing Larry Izzo?

This signing baffled me as I can’t see why New England didn’t re-sign Roberts. I mean a measly $2 million for a versatile 2 way player, special teams ace, and team captain? Why let him walk for that?

I guess I should just accept the good fortune of what appears to be a major bargain. Maybe This is retribution for them stealing Larry Izzo?
From what I understand they had very little to spare. With the departures they had, Flores and the Miami Dolphins May have been very alluring to someone like Roberts who’s worked under Flores before.

I think BB is that on that...I am the reason for success so watch me do crazy things and purge my roster and still win without Tom.....my two cents but I defiantly don’t understand why a heart and soul guy who does literally anything you ask of him on a football field was disposable with what they had as Far as turnover this year.

From what I understand they had very little to spare. With the departures they had, Flores and the Miami Dolphins May have been very alluring to someone like Roberts who’s worked under Flores before.

Where did all of it go? Because Tom Brady came off the books Kyle Van Noy came off the books Danny Shelton came off the books I think they got Thuney at a huge upgrade in price; but it’s not like they have offense of weapons that they have to pay a lot unless I don’t remember one of those safeties getting signed for a huge amount.

Where did all of it go? Because Tom Brady came off the books Kyle Van Noy came off the books Danny Shelton came off the books I think they got Thuney at a huge upgrade in price; but it’s not like they have offense of weapons that they have to pay a lot unless I don’t remember one of those safeties getting signed for a huge amount.
Not sure but I remember some articles stating they had very little to work with.

Not sure but I remember some articles stating they had very little to work with.

You are right. I just looked it up on one of the salary cap sites and they have the least amount of space left and $25 million in dead cap so it should be better next year but they’re so devoid of offensive talent that they’re gonna have to keep overpaying defenses until they figure something out.

Kamu Grugier-Hill is the linebacker to watch and both Baker and Eguavoen starting jobs are at risk.

Kamu Grugier-Hill - 3 mil

Parker - still best deal on Dolphins, good number 1 receivers are 16-21 mil per year Parkers 4.6 is a serious bargain.
Preston Williams on UDFA deal 678k and being the other starting wide out is another serious bargain
Albert Wilson big salary dump brings him into it to, drop from 10.8 to 4.3 could be huge if he returns to form.
Ryan Fitzpatrick 8 mil deal if he starts and play at high level all year is another big bargain - 25-30 mil for top QB's avg make over 20 mil

I seriously doubt Roberts takes McMillian job, McMillian very strong run stopper who's regained some speed and instincts are great, Roberts would have to show strong pass rush or coverage ability.

Last edited:
You have to add Albert WIlson to this list.. His renegotiated salary was a steal for Miami.

Kamu Grugier-Hill is the linebacker to watch and both Baker and Eguavoen starting jobs are at risk.

Kamu Grugier-Hill - 3 mil

Parker - still best deal on Dolphins, good number 1 receivers are 16-21 mil per year Parkers 4.6 is a serious bargain.
Preston Williams on UDFA deal 678k and being the other starting wide out is another serious bargain
Albert Wilson big salary dump brings him into it to, drop from 10.8 to 4.3 could be huge if he returns to form.
Ryan Fitzpatrick 8 mil deal if he starts and play at high level all year is another big bargain - 25-30 mil for top QB's avg make over 20 mil

I seriously doubt Roberts takes McMillian job, McMillian very strong run stopper who's regained some speed and instincts are great, Roberts would have to show strong pass rush or coverage ability.

Roberts brings a lot of experience and versatility. New England used him as a FB a lot last season, even scored a TD on us. I mentioned Grugier-Hill in the FA thread about being an under the radar guy, who could be a steal.

The pats are paying Brady 13.5M this year for him to play for the Bucs. Love it!!!
We'll dead money at least...

Back
Top Bottom