Ranking the AFC | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the AFC

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
My early rankings. Amazing to me how many teams have a shot at the playoffs. Some really impressive talent in the AFC with lots of potential emerging teams.

1. New England
Is there any question? It kind of feels like the Patriots and then a drop off to 5-6 teams. Injuries could derail them and Brady isn't getting any younger.

2. Oakland
This is an ascending team with Carr looking like a potential elite qb and Cooper one of the best young receivers. Mack is one of the best defensive players. Their division is tough, which could be a huge factor.

3. Pittsburgh
The Steelers have a fantastic offense with Big Ben still leading the way. The team hasn't matched up well against New England and I'm not sure the defense is all that.

4. Houston
The Texans may have the best defense in the AFC. Their questions are at quarterback, but Murray (if he starts) doesn't have to do a whole lot for them to win.

5. Miami
The Dolphins should take off offensively in year two with Adam Gase. The defense has a lot of newcomers and Miami's ceiling seems to be wildcard with New England in the same division.

6. Kansas City
This team may be a tad underrated, but a potential qb controversy could come into play.

7. Tennessee
The Titans have one of the best young qb's and went 9-7 last year. Their division is up for grabs.

8. Baltimore
John Harbaugh remains one of the best coaches and the team had a nice offseason on paper. If the Steelers stumble, Baltimore and Cincinnati could capitalize.

9. Cincinnati
The Bengals have playoff talent, but something seems to be holding them back.

10. Denver
The Broncos still have a defense that can keep them in games, but they have questions at qb.

11. San Diego
On paper, the Chargers look like a playoff caliber team. Loved their draft. They always seem to underachieve, though (coaching?).

12. Buffalo
The Bills have a solid defense, a really good running game and a decent qb. They could make a move with McDermitt as head coach.

13. Indianapolis
If Luck is healthy Indianapolis has a legit playoff chance. That always seems like a big if, though.

14. Jacksonville
Emerging defense, a potential elite runner in Fournette and a division that is up for grabs. If only Jacksonville had a qb. If Bortles can step it up the Jags aren't that bad.

15. Cleveland
The Browns had a terrific offseason IMO, but they still have a long way to go.

16. NY Jets
The Jets have talent on defense, but questions everywhere on offense and maybe the worst qb situation in the NFL. They could challenge for the #1 pick.

Goof job SF. All well reasoned analysis based on good points. Here are my way too early rankings.

1. New England
Champs until proven otherwise. Dominate the division and are in the Super Bowl 1/3 of the time.

2. Oakland
Great QB. Exceptional pieces in Cooper, Crabtree and their strong OL. Now they add Beastmode in a year when he WANTS to be there. TE is the only question mark for these offensive juggernauts. Defensively they are collecting pieces to complement their cornerstone Khalil Mack. Guys like Bruce Irvin, Gareon Conley, that safety from WV, Eddie Vanderdoes. It's starting to look like the Raiders of old.

3. Pittsburgh
It is another great offense humming along, and a building defense with good young pieces adds another star in TJ Watt. They may be able to transition from an offensive team starring Ben to a defensive team starring Watt by the time Ben retires.

4. Miami
Offense poised to start becoming a consistent points scoring offense. It is held back by a poor OL and a hit and miss TE position, but the other skill positions all look good. Defensively they added a lot of talent, and there is no excuse not to be a top 12 defense.

5. Tennessee
I really thought the Titans should have gone defense early in the draft, and it will likely hurt them down the road. But there is no denying that this team wins the trenches, and it's only a matter of time before they skyrocket into Super Bowl contention ... but probably not this year.

6. Denver
What?!?!?!? Yeah that's right. I'm looking for a rebound year from the Orange Crush (remember them?) despite the lack of a QB.

7. Houston
Any team that goes to the playoffs and then gets JJ Watt back can only slide so far ... even without a QB.

8. Kansas City
I'm just not a believer in Andy Reid as a great coach. Alex Smith is OK, but this division is tough top to bottom.

9. Baltimore
I would have rated the Bengals ahead of them, but their loss of OL drops them below the Ravens.

10. Cincinnati
Let's see if OL matters, because with AJ Greet and Tyler Eiffert they have two of the best receiving threats in the league. Adding Joe Mixon to that talented RB committee should make them absolute juggernauts ... but losing your two best OL usually hurts. We will see.

11. San Diego
While they are improved, their division is just too strong to see it.

12. Buffalo
I'm not expecting much from the Bills, but they do have talent. It will take good coaching to cover the holes though.

13. Indianapolis
I'm predicting a Luck comeback! Just not this year.

14. Jacksonville
The Jags just love the Browns.

15. NY Jets
You know what's worse than your team tanking the season? When your team tries to tank the season and fails. We know, we couldn't suck for Luck even when we were mathematically eliminated.

16. Cleveland
Poor Browns.

Last edited:
I think you should swap Cincy and Denver and swap Cleveland and the Jets.

To the OP, who is Murray for Houston? If you're talking QB, it's Savage or Watson.

If Luck can overcome Coach Veratu (Philbin), then he's your fifth dimensional MVP. C'mon Andrew, have you ever seen Philbin's reflection in a mirror?

The craziest derilects ever to escape hell are Kansas City fans. They're supremely confident in their ability to break into the playoffs, but ask Philly about the Super Bowl. At least Andy Reid's kids finally have a consequence free environment to be dicks in.

Every Raiders fan will tell you Carr is a badass. Not David, the Prison Break one. Raiders and Dolphins typically follow similar trajectories of success. This time is no different and I'm anticipating this matchup more than any other.

Pittsburgh's window is closing with every hit Big Ben takes. TJ Watt is not going to suck. Pittsburgh gonna Pittsburgh for at least one more year.

I know why the Leftist liberals are pushing for a sanctuary state in California. They gladly welcome any terrorist organization that will gouge their eyes out if they have to witness Rivers to Gates anymore. Chargers... just say no.

The Bills are enjoying their honeymoon while the Jets are hoping their marriage ends badly enough to get Darnold. Here's a tip Jets fans, prop your head coach up enough to make it through the season. You don't want any interim HC mucking it up for you with a couple spirited wins.

I think the Bengals are perrenially hamstrung by the Cincinnati collective unconscious demiurge to keep a low profile. Marvin Lewis is way beyond his expiration date, as well.

Denver, hazy enough with the influx of Northern California outlaws due to new weed laws to ask yourself, "What About Bob"? Nobody knows how they'll turn out, not even Denver.

New England wears no clothes! Soylent Green are Jets fans! Don't pay your Bills!

There I said it!

this is just me. how I look at big pictures in 2017
1.N.E still best team in afc
2 Pit second best team in afc.. they have everything qb,wr, rb,except Brady number.
3 k.C I gave them edge over Oakland better coach. Smith is not sb qb but he can get u to playoff.
4. Oakland. they could be second best team in afc but they got to proved it again in 2017.
5. Houston or Tennessee one of them will make playoff
6a. who every play the best in dec,and jan will get the last spot. they are all closed 5-12
6b Miami, den, bal, cin, buf and ind

they all will be better except jets. look for jets .cin and ind having new coach in 2018
13 san diego
14 Jacksonville
15 browns

16 jets

Last edited:
this is just me. how I look at big pictures in 2017
1.N.E still best team in afc
2 Pit second best team in afc.. they have everything qb,wr, rb,except Brady number.
3 k.C I gave them edge over Oakland better coach. Smith is not sb qb but he can get u to playoff.
4. Oakland. they could be second best team in afc but they got to proved it again in 2017.
5. Houston or Tennessee one of them will make playoff
6a. who every play the best in dec,and jan will get the last spot. they are all closed 5-12
6b Miami, den, bal, cin, buf and ind

they all will be better except jets. look for jets .cin and ind having new coach in 2018
13 san diego
14 Jacksonville
15 browns

16 jets

I agree with most of that, I would swap KC and Oakland but that is just me. As for as the coaching thing with Jets and Bengals, idk. If Todd can string 4-5 wins together despite the front office pretty much screaming "tanking", that may prolong him another year, maybe. Bengals I do feel like are finally going to end up searching for a coach, unless somehow they make the championship game in AFC. The shocker I am taking wild guess/stab at is the Colts. Their schedule(Jags twice, Texans twice, Titans twice, Rams, Cards, Seahawks, San Fran, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, Denver, Bills) is looking like another 8-8 subpar season on paper(we'll see when season comes) and I'm not so sure another .500 season keeps Chuck sitting at the HC table.

Forgot a few...
Baltimore never really dips into bad play. Which speaks volumes to coaching. Injuries seem to be an effective indicator with how their record ends up. Don't we have another Thursday Night slaughterfest at Baltimore this year? So tired of the scheduling bias shown towards us. No win would make me happier than if we go into Baltimore on a Thursday night and wipe our ass with that team.
Tennessee is a contender on the rise. Theoretically, they should make the playoffs this year. Corey Davis should complete their already loaded skill positions. Dude's hands are so big it looks like he's catching a tennis ball.
Jacksonville, Jesus H Christ, WTF! Just exactly how much talent do you phuckers need to make the playoffs? If they can't make some noise this year with Fournette, they should just play in St. Augustine and pretend they're retired. Seriously, WTF!
Which leaves us with Cleveland...
I've never seen a fanbase so supremely confident in their ability to blow a fourth quarter lead. I'd take the Washington Generals to beat the Globetrotters before I'd hold my breath for a Cleveland playoff appearance. If you ever need a good laugh, read Deadspin's "Why Your Team Sucks" series on the Browns. The Charlie Browns nickname would make even Charles Schultz turn over in his grave. Never let it be said that the Cleveland Steamer nickname was neither fitting nor earned.
I said good day!

To the OP, who is Murray for Houston? If you're talking QB, it's Savage or Watson.

My bad. I meant Watson. Honestly, part of the reason I have Houston so high is I think Watson could be the guy at least long-term. I don't think he needs to do a lot for the Texans to win games.

I agree with most of that, I would swap KC and Oakland but that is just me. As for as the coaching thing with Jets and Bengals, idk. If Todd can string 4-5 wins together despite the front office pretty much screaming "tanking", that may prolong him another year, maybe. Bengals I do feel like are finally going to end up searching for a coach, unless somehow they make the championship game in AFC. The shocker I am taking wild guess/stab at is the Colts. Their schedule(Jags twice, Texans twice, Titans twice, Rams, Cards, Seahawks, San Fran, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, Denver, Bills) is looking like another 8-8 subpar season on paper(we'll see when season comes) and I'm not so sure another .500 season keeps Chuck sitting at the HC table.

I almost did swap KC with Oakland. I do think Carr needs to prove it for another year, but man do they have weapons in the passing game and adding Lynch could help. KC always seems to overachieve so you never know.

If Luck can overcome Coach Veratu (Philbin), then he's your fifth dimensional MVP. C'mon Andrew, have you ever seen Philbin's reflection in a mirror?

The craziest derilects ever to escape hell are Kansas City fans. They're supremely confident in their ability to break into the playoffs, but ask Philly about the Super Bowl. At least Andy Reid's kids finally have a consequence free environment to be dicks in.

Every Raiders fan will tell you Carr is a badass. Not David, the Prison Break one. Raiders and Dolphins typically follow similar trajectories of success. This time is no different and I'm anticipating this matchup more than any other.

Pittsburgh's window is closing with every hit Big Ben takes. TJ Watt is not going to suck. Pittsburgh gonna Pittsburgh for at least one more year.

I know why the Leftist liberals are pushing for a sanctuary state in California. They gladly welcome any terrorist organization that will gouge their eyes out if they have to witness Rivers to Gates anymore. Chargers... just say no.

The Bills are enjoying their honeymoon while the Jets are hoping their marriage ends badly enough to get Darnold. Here's a tip Jets fans, prop your head coach up enough to make it through the season. You don't want any interim HC mucking it up for you with a couple spirited wins.

I think the Bengals are perrenially hamstrung by the Cincinnati collective unconscious demiurge to keep a low profile. Marvin Lewis is way beyond his expiration date, as well.

Denver, hazy enough with the influx of Northern California outlaws due to new weed laws to ask yourself, "What About Bob"? Nobody knows how they'll turn out, not even Denver.

New England wears no clothes! Soylent Green are Jets fans! Don't pay your Bills!

There I said it!

Nice read! I think Pittsburgh's window is closing as well. Big Ben is awfully good, but the Steelers match-up so poorly with New England and that's the team they likely need to beat to get to the big game.

Forgot a few...
Baltimore never really dips into bad play. Which speaks volumes to coaching. Injuries seem to be an effective indicator with how their record ends up. Don't we have another Thursday Night slaughterfest at Baltimore this year? So tired of the scheduling bias shown towards us. No win would make me happier than if we go into Baltimore on a Thursday night and wipe our *** with that team.
Tennessee is a contender on the rise. Theoretically, they should make the playoffs this year. Corey Davis should complete their already loaded skill positions. Dude's hands are so big it looks like he's catching a tennis ball.
Jacksonville, Jesus H Christ, WTF! Just exactly how much talent do you phuckers need to make the playoffs? If they can't make some noise this year with Fournette, they should just play in St. Augustine and pretend they're retired. Seriously, WTF!
Which leaves us with Cleveland...
I've never seen a fanbase so supremely confident in their ability to blow a fourth quarter lead. I'd take the Washington Generals to beat the Globetrotters before I'd hold my breath for a Cleveland playoff appearance. If you ever need a good laugh, read Deadspin's "Why Your Team Sucks" series on the Browns. The Charlie Browns nickname would make even Charles Schultz turn over in his grave. Never let it be said that the Cleveland Steamer nickname was neither fitting nor earned.
I said good day!

How many wins do you think a coach like Bill Bellichick would get out of Jacksonville? I agree with you, that team is very talented. The pieces are there on defense and the addition of Fournette could help them win some close games.

Baltimore is hard to rank. They haven't done well lately, but I have a lot of confidence in John Harbaugh. Plus, I liked what they did this offseason.

How many wins do you think a coach like Bill Bellichick would get out of Jacksonville? I agree with you, that team is very talented. The pieces are there on defense and the addition of Fournette could help them win some close games.

Baltimore is hard to rank. They haven't done well lately, but I have a lot of confidence in John Harbaugh. Plus, I liked what they did this offseason.

Thanks for your approval, I wrote those posts as I was spiraling towards a dehydration headache. Sometimes I get nervous that it's more offensive than informative or entertaining.

Hours after posting, I thought, "Oh my God! I think I just vomited all over that thread..."

But yeah, gotta respect Harbaugh's coaching. However, I love beating that team because he gets so flustered and upset. We've only done it like once since our last playoff meeting. I can't stand sadistic, entitled poor losers. Which is why I want us badly to flip the Thursday night script on those effing babies...

I also get the feeling KC is in it for the long haul vs a more fragile Oakland. At times last year KC looked juggernaut like, with a very good defense and a very non-KC like offense, making plays downfield and scoring often.

I think most posters are posting the Phins in the top 5 with their rose colored glasses on. I would love to see us take that giant step to an annual playoff team, but our OL and D is still questionable to me. I'm more leaning between 8-12.

Back
Top Bottom