Ranking the Trade Partners for Pick #3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the Trade Partners for Pick #3

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Probably the best scenario for Miami with that #3 overall pick is a trade down option. With three quarterbacks talked about as potential franchise players, the Dolphins figure to get a lot of offers and, potentially, a bountiful number of picks in return. Here's how I see Miami's best options.

#7 Detroit
The Lions have a new coach in Dan Campbell and will likely trade Matthew Stafford. Potentially that means a rookie coach and a rookie quarterback, which usually spells something close to disaster. In other words, Detroit should be picking high in 2022. If I'm Miami, I get that #1 pick in 2022, the #7 pick this year and a 2nd rounder in 2021. Moving down to #7, Smith, Chase or Waddle should be available.

#8 Carolina
The Panthers are rumored to be in the running for Watson. If the Panthers make that trade, you can cross them off the list. I think staying in the top 10 enables Miami to get one of the top three receivers. Once again, it should net the Dolphns a 2022 #1 pick and other high picks.

#4 Atlanta
This trade partner would make sense if Miami has to have, say, have Smith and he is still on the board at #3. If Atlanta is ready to move on, or trade Matt Ryan and they are seeking a quarterback, the Dolphins would still get Smith at #4. The compensation wouldn't be large compared to other trades, but maybe you get the Falcons 2nd rounder in 2021. I want another pick in the second round, as I think Miami can get another starter there.

#9 Denver
A little more questionable if all three wide receivers are available, but the Broncos definitely need a quarterback upgrade. There defense is good. I could also see them picking close to top 10 in 2022.

#12 San Francisco
This is an interesting one for me. You are, most likely, not going to be able to draft Smith, Chase or Waddle. But in a 49er trade, I'd request Brandon Ayuk and picks. They are another team rumored to be in the Watson chase.

#5 Cincinnati
If the Bengals want Sewell, Miami could trade down a couple of spots and likely get Smith, although Atlanta could draft a wide receiver.

Last edited:
Something to think about is that if Houston trades Watson to one of these teams they would presumably be in the QB market and might be a trade partner for Miami's #3 pick as well.

One thing that scares me is the Eagles, IF we are looking at a wr with our first pick, I’d like to get our pick of who we want, and I could see them taking one too..

but I like all the options you’re presenting too.. although the move down could depend on the return. (Future 1sts enticing)

Last year... we took a 'hold' strategy... we listened to a lot of offers, but then didn't take them. This surprised a lot of people who had thought we'd try to move some of our capital into future years.

Makes me wonder if this is the year we go to a deferral strategy. Due to the low cap for next year, teams may be in a position where they need more cheap rookies right away in order to get under their caps... We might find a way to get some 2:1s or 3:1s on deferred draft picks.

Dream scenario for our #3 pick.
Atlanta doesnt want Carolina or Detroit trading us for the #3 pick and snatching their QB pick.
Atlanta trades up 1 spot and offers their #4 and a 2nd round pick.
Carolina and Detroit are now calling the Phins asking about #4
Detroit wins offering their #7 and their 2nd round pick.

Woosh! I know this is crazy but it could happen.

Dream scenario for our #3 pick.
Atlanta doesnt want Carolina or Detroit trading us for the #3 pick and snatching their QB pick.
Atlanta trades up 1 spot and offers their #4 and a 2nd round pick.
Carolina and Detroit are now calling the Phins asking about #4
Detroit wins offering their #7 and their 2nd round pick.

Woosh! I know this is crazy but it could happen.
You never know. Not likely but logical.

One thing that scares me is the Eagles, IF we are looking at a wr with our first pick, I’d like to get our pick of who we want, and I could see them taking one too..

but I like all the options you’re presenting too.. although the move down could depend on the return. (Future 1sts enticing)
Philadelphia does need a wide receiver. Plus a lot more.

I think we have to wait and see how pre draft trades and QB moves shake out. We have already lost Detroit as a trade partner and the Jets could also want to trade down. I hate to be pessimistic but I see us having to stay put and make the pick.

Back
Top Bottom