Ravens can, why can't we | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ravens can, why can't we

YSM37

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This weekend ground-gaining juggernaut Jamal Lewis comes to town with his pack of defensive demons. Baltimore prides itself on a devastating ground game that has the “here we come, try to stop us†approach. On defense, the Raven’s employ linebacker king Ray Lewis, sack artist Peter Boulware, and ball hawking safety Ed Reed. Baltimore’s philosophy is as follows:
Run the ball and play bone-jarring defense. The Ravens have done both all season, yet they find themselves sitting at 5-4 coming into week 11. The Dolphins, 5-4, are also a running, defensive minded team.
My question is, how is it possible that the Ravens, who employ a rookie QB and weak-armed Chris Redman are able to run the ball at a record breaking pace, while the Dolphins yards per carry average is at the lower end of the league?
Surely the Ravens are facing 8 and 9 man fronts just as the Dolphins are. Why are the Ravens still running? How can it happen? If Ricky Williams played for the Ravens would he be having 37-yard games? The Ravens coaching staff has figured a way to make the running game go despite the lack of experience at QB and the stacked lines they have faced this season.
Dolphins offensive coordinator Norv Turner, a noted offensive genius, has not made significant changes in his offensive scheme in order to correct there deficiencies. The Dolphins have continued to attempt to run the ball between the tackles, but to no avail. The have been ineffective in all aspects on the offensive side of the ball. Since teams are stacking the box with 8 and 9 man fronts, it makes the ability to move the ball through the air a necessity. The Dolphins coaching staff has repeatedly stated that the offense will be successful at both running and passing. However, all efforts to do so have resulted in disappointment.
It is of my opinion that this offense lacks creativity and innovation. After watching game after game it is apparent that the same plays are called, and called in similar situations. At this point of the season, TE Randy McMichael has been the most productive and consistent contributor to the offense. On a squad that includes Ricky Williams and Chris Chambers, this is not acceptable.
One way to open up the running game is by utilizing 4 WR sets. This would not allow the opposition to stack the box. The loss of the FB as a blocker may pose a problem, but could be offset by William’s speed and power.
The offensive coordinator and head coach cannot simply stick with what has worked in the past and hope it begins to work. The NFL is a league of innovation which calls for constant thinking and changes on the move. It seems as though not only do the Dolphins fail to make adjustments at half time, but also from game to game.
The Dolphins need a fresh voice. And while I do realize that employing 4 WR formations is not the sole answer, I do believe that we need an innovator. We need someone who is not afraid to make changes, someone who will breath life into this stale offense. I am not a journalist or a coach, just an observer. Watching Oklahoma this weekend, I noticed their ability to run, pass, and score. It seems as though Coach Stoops has analyzed his team’s strength and weaknesses on a week to weak basis and has game planned differently for each opponent. I wonder if he has ever considered coaching in the NFL, in say….Miami.

Good points YSM37

I think the supposedly big difference between us and Ravens on Offense is that they have a better O-line but I would take both Fiedler and Griese over their stable of QBs. TE Heap is atleast as good as Randy McMichael if not a little better. I think Chambers is better than anyone they have Travis Taylor included.

As for J. Lewis and R. Williams, coming into this season obviously Williams was better but right now I would give the nod to J. Lewis, fair or not.

Your point is well taken - how can they face 8 and 9 men and still run while we cannot?

I have suggested a 4 WR set multiple times in the last few weeks and I can not recall one situation where there was 4 receivers in the game.. with the exception of TE's and RB's...

I dont know if calling a 4WR play is too "tricky" for the offense to handle or if Norv has completley over looked it..

I think it would be a GREAT "wrinkle" to the offense.. but anything new we throw into the playbook, couldnt be worse that what has been called the past few weeks/year...

I have been very frustrated with the stagnant offense and the vanilla defense. We have the most talented defensive squad in the league, why not take some chances, run some blitzes. Seems to me...if you have great athletes, what good are they if you don't allow them to make plays?

If they throw that flanker screen again in my lifetime, it will be too soon. Good thing they haven't run that in awhile. Another thing is...when is the last time they threw a deep pass? Forget completing one..how about just attempting one. I know they threw one to Newson, but at that point, it was 14-0, why not open the game with something no team has seen us do before. Why waste this season?

There O-Line is much better than ours and so is there O-Cord....Line coach and overall staff...DOLFANMIKE...i'm just stating my opinion here so don't say that this is fingerpointing and that i should not make this comment b/c I don't have 20 + years of coaching experience like you.

GO FINS!!!

Originally posted by DolphinVJ
Good points YSM37

Your point is well taken - how can they face 8 and 9 men and still run while we cannot?
when norv was with washington, they used the fullback alot on swing passes. instead of killing ricky, why not fake it to him and hit konrad outside.

i can see williams and minor in the backfield at the same time, at least one or the other would have somebody to block, the oline can't seem to do it!:rolleyes: :(

i just had visions of how the Ravens ran the ball down our throats 2 years ago in the playoff game in miami...oh when McDrop...drop a perfect throw by Fiedler in the endzone. How many yards did Baltimore gain on us that game? It was over 200 yrds...who was their running back...terry allen i believe and some rookie they had that does not play...i forgot his name.

well, obviously Billick tries to do the same thing with Lewis here.

I hope we can stop them.

GO FINS!!!

The logical response to a 4 WR set is to blitz. Griese can't handle the blitz. That's why you haven't seen it lately. We have gone 4 and 5 wide earlier in the season.

I agree.. going 4 wide will only get our qb killed faster. when we went 3 wide a couple of times against tenn, they didn't even go to nickle, they stayed with the base set.. it did not spread them out. they still had 8 at the line and sent them all... result usually a sack and/or fumble. we need to block better... have the wr line up close to the line and just hit the de's on their way by... if it justs gives our qb an extra sec it should be enough.

Originally posted by YSM37
My question is, how is it possible that the Ravens, who employ a rookie QB and weak-armed Chris Redman are able to run the ball at a record breaking pace, while the Dolphins yards per carry average is at the lower end of the league?
Surely the Ravens are facing 8 and 9 man fronts just as the Dolphins are. Why are the Ravens still running? How can it happen?

The answer is simple, Confidence, or lack of confidence. Some of the players on the O do not believe we will get the job done. It's hard to run every route like your the one they are going to throw the ball to if you know by the time you get to where you are going either your QB is on his back or the D is going the other way with the ball. The RB knows as soon as he gets the ball he won't even have time to make a "football move".

It all starts and ends with the O-line, from Norv to the wide outs to the FB, we can all see that no one on this team believes in them. The same with The D. A player gets tired of putting up monster numbers for no reason. Miami was until the last two games the toughest to score on, you can see that the last two games they have not tried as hard as they could have. The Indy game Miami just did not tackle well. They were in position to make the play they just did not give it their best effort, and they just quit with Tenn. This is my point, if we just had a good O not great just good we would have won against NE,Indy, and Tenn.

I don't blame the players, if you here your leader (Dave) tell you every week that things will get turned around ,and instead they get worse,then most anyone would tend to quit. It's frustrating.
I wish someone,anyone could please tell me where this team is going to draw their insperation from? What is going to happen that is going to make us a strong playoff contender. I would love someone to show me where this miracle is going to come from.

It is going to come from beating up on The Ravens, Skins, and Cowboys......They will be 8-4 going to New England.......If they win there....THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
I agree.. going 4 wide will only get our qb killed faster. when we went 3 wide a couple of times against tenn, they didn't even go to nickle, they stayed with the base set.. it did not spread them out. they still had 8 at the line and sent them all... result usually a sack and/or fumble. we need to block better... have the wr line up close to the line and just hit the de's on their way by... if it justs gives our qb an extra sec it should be enough.

unless we hit them with twostep drop passes. but i dont see those much. you think norv would come up with something. its not like rocket science. all you have to do is get a tape of NY jets.

Originally posted by ARealFinsFan
It is going to come from beating up on The Ravens, Skins, and Cowboys......They will be 8-4 going to New England.......If they win there....THE SKY IS THE LIMIT.

dont count on it. they all have great defenses(minus skins). and griese is likely to be playing with a still lame LT.

Back
Top Bottom