Re-signing Deon Dyer | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Re-signing Deon Dyer

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins have just re-signed FB Deon Dyer to a two year contract. Why? I know he is a capable player but not in our system. Why spend money on some one you do not play much. Does this indicate a little change in Norv Turner' philosophy may be next year?

He's insurance in case the 'Fins can't afford to bring Konrad back since he'll probably get some good offers out on the FA market. Dyer knows the system and proved in preseason that he's at least a capable receiver out of the backfield. I certainly don't see hanging on to him as a sign of change.

We resigned Dyer? I thought he wanted to leave to play for the Panthers and have an opportunity to start. He is wrong for this system, and if we lose Konrad we should try to draft Andrew Pinnock out of South Carolina in the fourth round.

Link since someone didn't bother supplying it:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/home/home_index.asp

The reason we are signing him is to trade him. Dyer is still a great run blocking FB and a team would be likely to part with a 4th (maybe even a 3rd for him). Signing him to a 2 year deal makes him more attractive to the trade partner then a RFA tender.

It's also insurance in case we don't resign Konrad.

I hope he stays because i believe he can be a decent fullback in norvs system. Maybe not as good out of the back field as konrad but we know he can get it done blocking. Konrad isnt a sure bet to come back anyway.

All in All this was an excelent move! I wouldnt mind him staying at all, hes probably the toughest guy on our team, but if a good offer comes along then lets take it!

3rd or 4th Rounder??

I don't see how any team would give up even a 4th Round pick for Dyer.

I'm curious to see what kind of impact a trade or release would have on our cap next season.

Re: 3rd or 4th Rounder??

Originally posted by Muck

I'm curious to see what kind of impact a trade or release would have on our cap next season.

I agree that there is almost no way that a third or fourth round pick will be given up by any team for Dyer as FB's are a somewhat of a forgotten position. If he's trade bait then he's a fifth round pick at best.

Plenty of FB's in FA, why trade a draft choice when ya can get a more polished player for not much more than what Dyer signed for. He was re-signed solely as insurance to CYA if Konrad leaves.

NOTE: I've read that the Pats will try to sign him.

Heck we drafted Konrad in the 2nd round before. We drafted Dyer in the 4th. So I don't know where you guys get the preconception that we couldn't get a 3rd or 4th for a proven nasty lead run blocker like Dyer from some team that needs one.

Re: 3rd or 4th Rounder??

Originally posted by Muck

We gave up a fourth rounder for Jay Williams. :rolleyes:

You just never know

Back
Top Bottom