Realignment hurt the playoffs in the AFC | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Realignment hurt the playoffs in the AFC

Dolfan4life

Starter
Reaction score
The AFC had two strong divisions, the East and the West.

The AFC had two weak divisions, the North and the South.

The East and West had 1 representative each.

The North and South had 2 represtantives each.

The Fact is that Cleveland and Indy are not playoff teams. I am not saying that Miami neccessarily should be in, but the Jets would not have beaten the Fins 41-0. Also, if Holcomb throws for 400+ against the Steelers then Fiedler would kill them.

Denver, San Diego, KC, Miami, and New England all are better than the Steelers, Browns, and Colts.

The East and West simply beat up on each other all year. Which in the end left the weaker divisions with more representatives.

Originally posted by Dolfan4life

The Fact is that Cleveland and Indy are not playoff teams. I am not saying that Miami neccessarily should be in, but the Jets would not have beaten the Fins 41-0. Also, if Holcomb throws for 400+ against the Steelers then Fiedler would kill them.

Denver, San Diego, KC, Miami, and New England all are better than the Steelers, Browns, and Colts.

The East and West simply beat up on each other all year. Which in the end left the weaker divisions with more representatives.
i don't know how the fins would have done in the playoffs, but they should have been 10-6!:rolleyes:

Yeah and I don't want to pay taxes but I deal with it as we should with the Dolphins out of the playoffs. Fact is they didn't deserve it.

Yeah, but they didn't deserve the reaming that they got from the refs week 17 either...

sorry, but I'm still having difficulty dealing with that PI call. :mad:

Yea and next year when the East and West play the North and South everything will be back to normal.

Both wildcards will come out of the East and/or West and the North or South might have a division champ at 8-8 or 9-7.

You certainly can't question realignment after only one year.

I agree with this hole heartedly....they must do something to fix this, one way would be settling the tiebrakers differently, something like this...
1.Head to head....if 2 teams split games make it go to point differential (i.e. which team beat the other worse according to score)
2.Points scored & Points against...whoever has the better ratio (i.e. The team with more points scored and less allowed gets in)
3.most wins within there conference
4.Most wins against there division

.....All in All we lost because of Ray Lucas, he put us in a position were we had to win basically every game remaining, but had the re-alignment not happened we would be talking playoffs.....and not to make it sound like an excuse either but we did have our chances to make it and didnt come through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Realignment hurt the playoffs in the AFC

Originally posted by dolfan06
i don't know how the fins would have done in the playoffs, but they should have been 10-6!:rolleyes:
11-5 - we should not have lost to Minny either :cry:

When the Jets were kicking GB's butt, all I was thinking was why did not they not put Mia in the weak-arse South. :yell:

I like the article but doubt it will ever happen. Baseball used to have a similar structure with eight teams in one division. I think it ould lose the uniqeness of some rivalries as Teams such as the Dolphnis would never get to face teasm liek the Packers, Saints, 49ers and a slew of others and the divisional rivalries with the Jets, Bills and Patriots would be shared with teams such as the Titans, Texans, Jaguars and a few others.

I think we have to give this system a few more years before we tank it all together. Afterall, we may be the benficiary of this "flawed" system in a few years.

IMO, with a 32 team league, you need more than 16 games in the regular season.

Also, if Holcomb throws for 400+ against the Steelers then Fiedler would kill them.

I have to disagree here.

Miami don't have the receivers the Browns do - you have one guy that's comparable. I don't know whether Fiedler is as accurate as Holcomb was last week either. He was totally in the zone and it'll be interesting to see if he's shown the Browns enough to move on from the Couch experiment.

The Browns ARE (were anyway :D ) a playoff team. They could very easily been 11-5 but as a young team their mistakes cost them. Badly.

The Browns came good at the right time when other teams faded. KC's defence and offense just ran out of juice after so many high intensity games. Miami, New England and the Jets all killed each other off with the Bills acting as spoilers. The hot team won in. If you were all that good you'd have won enough to beat out the Colts and Browns - simple as that.

I'd agree that the Colts could probably be beaten by most of the teams you named but I'd consider the matchups before saying that Miami (or many of the others) would wipe the floor with the Steelers or Browns.

Back
Top Bottom