Realistic Ideas to improve the pass rush? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Realistic Ideas to improve the pass rush?

sumo-wrestler-1024x680.jpg

He looks like he'd be a handful to block. Wouldn't have to trade for him either.

sumo-wrestler-1024x680.jpg

He looks like he'd be a handful to block. Wouldn't have to trade for him either.

The good news is, getting one top pass rusher will help Taco, Beigel, Wilkins and others. The bad news is it's much harder done than said. even with top pass rushers, I can't minimize scheme. It can include moving players around to the best mismatch or having them attack in a way that forces a one-on-one against another pass rusher.
As far as 'how,' I'd rather have two top pass rushers than one Clowney. Unfortunately, any decent pass rusher will demand top money. I suspect one of Miami's day 1 picks will be a pass rusher.

Who are the FA edge guys available besides Clowney?

Pass Rusher is one position that the top guys rarely end up on the market but I would be good with the Fins using their cap space on one solid guy who you can expect production from.

They will almost certainly target pass rushed in the Draft along with QB and OL being the most glaring needs.

I think the Fins will sign more than one OL starter in FA so DE/Edge might be the biggest non QB target in the Draft.

for me one of the most disappointing things from flores' defense last year was the lack of scheme pressure. i'm not asking for top 10 in sacks from that personnel group, but absolute dead last in the league 30 sacks off the lead is dreadful. the blitz packages did not get home.

Edit: in 2017 the pats were 7th in the league in sacks. flores calls the plays in 2018 and they drop to 30th. flores leaves and in 2019 they go back to 7th.

Last edited:

Pass Rusher is one position that the top guys rarely end up on the market but I would be good with the Fins using their cap space on one solid guy who you can expect production from.

They will almost certainly target pass rushed in the Draft along with QB and OL being the most glaring needs.

I think the Fins will sign more than one OL starter in FA so DE/Edge might be the biggest non QB target in the Draft.
Miami seems to have chased DE's like qb's. They reached on Tannehill and Harris and have tried to get these washed up veterans like Mario Williams and Quinn. They have had zero luck in getting talent there. Branch? Wake was washed up.

Jones, Armstead, Ngauoke It's unusual to have that many options. Issue is going to be not overpaying because there is a market out there and it will be competitive to get one of these guys.

Of all I think Jones and Clowney would be best for us. Versatile and can instantly demand double teams when on the field

From the dozen or so Mocks I've run, I'm getting 2 DE's and 2 Oline players along with Tua or Herbert in the top 2 rounds.

Add 1 free agent mid-tier DE and 1-2 O-line in Free Agency and our team gets a lot better.

for me one of the most disappointing things from flores' defense last year was the lack of scheme pressure. i'm not asking for top 10 in sacks from that personnel group, but absolute dead last in the league 30 sacks off the lead is dreadful. the blitz packages did not get home.

Edit: in 2017 the pats were 7th in the league in sacks. flores calls the plays in 2018 and they drop to 30th. flores leaves and in 2019 they go back to 7th.

Bingo.

More corner blitzes and no more delayed blitzes, please.

Who invented the delayed blitz and why? I don't care how good a team might be at using it. I don't understand the philosophy of giving the oline extra time to shed off a block and pick up the blitz.

quick list of top of my head:
Ngakoue
Fowler
Armstead
Chris JOnes
Wonder how many of those guys make it to the open market. Looking at some QB money there.

I want to sign one of those guys, and draft another in the first or second round. If Epenesa makes it to 18 he'd be a splash and a big time scheme fit. Not sure I'm taking him over Becton though. We HAVE to take a tackle high. I like Curtis Weaver in the second as another option.

Who is drawing double teams on the interior in passing situations? Probably didn't happen a lot along the entire DL. Maybe Wilkins steps up and take a few of those this year and likely a rookie edge player. Van Ginkel a candidate to get more snaps.

I think we will get outbid in the FA market for guys like Armstead, Clowney, Fowler, Barrett, Ngakoue

Not sure what Bud Dupree will get after 11.5 sacks. Also have an improved Shaq Lawson out there but lower tier.

Back
Top Bottom