Reality about the Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reality about the Draft

Originally posted by fin-atic
You guys are trying to feed this crappy draft to us and tell us that poop is chocolate candy. It was a terrible draft.
============================================

BLITZKRIEG RESPONSE :

Fin-attic,

What happened to you man???...You use to be very supporitve of Dave and Rick.....

How do you know it was a horrible draft???....

As of right now, it looks like rookie OLB E. Moore is going to push M. Greenwood for the starting spot at OLB. It also looks like the WR's we've added in the drfat are going to be a nice additions as well. The OL players drafted are all looking like they'll contribute next year, and the FA additions we brought in this off-season were very solid IMO....

You don't know if it was a terrible draft. You just assume that because we didn't draft any "name" players, that Dave and Rick screwed up. That's very unlike you IMO...

There are literally thousands of college football players, and there is tons of no name talent out there. Dave and Rick have done their homework, and they know how to find talent regardless of what their name may be....

No offense, but I'm tired of reading your negative posts as of late.....I miss the old Fin-attic.

Later....:cap:

Originally posted by infiltrateib
Ok, you guys are funny.

You know the difference between all those analysts and WANNSPIEL? THEIR JOB.

I wonder if Mel Kiper or Len P ever had Moore in for a physical. You think Prisco timed his 40, or spent a single second doing an interview?

There's a reason teams have "shocker" picks... THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. The fact is, certain players are better in certain systems. We need fast, athletic LBs... once we get the fundamental athleticism, we groom them for our system.

You guys are so quick to judge, so quick to jump on the hating bandwagon because we didn't trade up to get Carson Palmer. I'm not going to sit here and say this was the best draft of all time, but I'm also not going to pretend I'm in a position to evaluate talent 2 years before it should be evident.

You're not in the front office, your job isn't on the line. It wasn't Dave's fault that Jay went down, and it wasn't his fault we didn't make the playoffs. Stop judging him and the draft and let things ride out for now. Look on the bright side, we are one of the most talented teams in the NFL and we just got a pretty solid draft.

How many pro-bowlers do we need for you to be happy? How many first-round draft picks? You guys have to remember, we didn't have a first-rounder because WE TRADED FOR RICKY WILLIAMS. In case you didn't notice, he kinda did sorta well last year.

Every year teams like Cincy make seemingly great name-based picks, and every year these ostensibly talented kids proceed to stink it up all year. What do we do? We take our 2nd-4th round picks and pick up guys like McMichael, Chambers, Wade, Konrad, Surtain...

Remember, it isn't all about college performance. Guys like Zach and JT slip to lower rounds and yet have the raw talent to really make a difference. Take a look at our past drafts, MANY times untested people like Randy McMichael get overlooked and then come in to make huge plays...

Relax, guys. Give peace a chance.

Kind of ruins your point when you bring up the Bungles doesn't it? Yes, it's fair to assume that Wanny knows the Phins needs and the players who will fit those needs better than anyone else. But isn't the same true of the Chargers? Wasn't the same true when they took Ryan Leaf? Wasn't the same true of Jerry Jones when he took Quincy? And lets look at Wanny's draft record. We've got Wade, Chambers, and McKnight as real, solid players(assuming McKnight from the 1st half of last season shows up, and not the McKnight from the 2nd half). In three seasons of drafting, that's NOT a heck of a track record. Fletcher, Greenwood, and the vast majority of the rest of the picks are either gone, on the practice squad, or buried/about to be buried in the depth chart. I'd have to look, but three starters in three years isn't that great of a track record in judging young talent. I'm not proclaiming this draft class a failure...I just think there's more reason for pessismism than optimism so far.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
Thanks, Migs! I knew you'd jump in sooner or later!

np. I had never checked this thread until today, but if I would have known about the subject, I would have responded earlier.

Do you think in the multi-million dollar business of covering the NFL that Mel Kiper and the ESPN guys just sit around over a couple of Coronas and decide what the think about the athletes? These guys have input from the athletes, their college coaches, pro scouts, coaches, medical professionals, etc. The spend the entire year watching every player tracking their productivity. They attend the combines, the Senior Bowl, the college games. This is a major industry and it is an advance science. When one of them says "Eddie Moore doesn't make sense" it is because several personnel people, coaches, etc have commented. They have looked at the numbers they have talked to the doctors. And they have solid research indicating that's where the player ranks.

You guys are trying to feed this crappy draft to us and tell us that poop is chocolate candy. It was a terrible draft.

Yeah that is why all NFL teams except the fins use Mel Kiper in determing their drafts? You make no sense, if the analysts had as many resources as the teams do then ok, nor do the analysts take into account styles, schemes and intangibles. They use stats, combine maesurements and times, not how a person 'Fits' w/ a team. So Kiper is right even 90% of the time? No not one of his so-called reaches ever 'reached' their potential. More like a number of them have and he is wrong. Look at all te rankings and draft sources, how come with all their "resources" all differ? I f it is always clear cut, the lists and rankings should be comparable, ome are, some are totally different.

I guess that is why they are analysts and not gms.

Some scouts will time a player slow on purpose to make him slip, when word gets out he is slow teams with marginal talent evaluation pass up on the real deal, the scout write one thing on papaer, tells his boos something else, and the guy is coveted and a steal if he slips. Enough people do it word gets out and the guy's stock drops, true GM see this BS for what it is and get a player for the bottom line- because hew is good and makes plays.

What the difference is between these analyst's and the dolphins. About 12 guys and a million dollars. The phins have many scouts who do nothing but scout players all year long and they spend about a million dollars doing it.

Oh yes......Kiper is god.

Kiper on Rae Carruth to Carolina "He is the perfect fit for this team".

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
fin-atic........how do you explain other GMs saying we got moore at a GOOD spot and that it was a GOOD pick???

how are you gonna spin that?

can i get a link to back up any of what you are saying?

i have a hard time believing that anyone that works in the nfl would say that.. not surprising that there is no name attached to that quote.. they were probably snickering while they said it, then gave the reporter the /wink.

the rest of your draft could be ok, and moore might turn out to be good too.. but there is no way that anyone would say "yeah... the middle of the second round is a great spot for moore.. :rolleyes:"

Lot of Gm's will only make off the record comments about players and refuse specific name to go with it, journalists respect such, especially if particular GM wanted same player but was overruled. It's the best way to keep things calm on home front, and still give writers something to say for thier job.

I'm going to say what I think here:

Everyone in this division finished in a log jam last year. The difference between us and the top team was a tiebreaker...and the difference between us and the bottom team was on game...and that team beat us twice.

The Pats and Bills had very strong Free Agent signings. Players like Spikes, Colvin and Adams now all play in OUR division.

The Pats and Jets both added a rookie DT in the first round of their drafts. The Jets got a stud...and although I'm not sold on Ty Warren to the PAts...I am sold on Belichek's defensive genius.

We're lucky that the Bills used their first pick on a player who won't touch the field this year. We're lucky the Jets lost alot of talent to the Redskins.

Because...

wait for it...

We got Junior Seau.

Free Agents and Draft? All we got was Seau.

Our team can't just claim to be one player away because we're no better than the other 3 teams going in. They all made some big moves to improve. We got Seau. Nothing against Seau...but he's our offseason.

We better get Knight.

Do you think in the multi-million dollar business of covering the NFL that Mel Kiper and the ESPN guys just sit around over a couple of Coronas and decide what the think about the athletes? These guys have input from the athletes, their college coaches, pro scouts, coaches, medical professionals, etc. The spend the entire year watching every player tracking their productivity. They attend the combines, the Senior Bowl, the college games. This is a major industry and it is an advance science. When one of them says "Eddie Moore doesn't make sense" it is because several personnel people, coaches, etc have commented. They have looked at the numbers they have talked to the doctors. And they have solid research indicating that's where the player ranks.

Everyone seems to keep forgetting that the major reason Moore was projected where he was was due to the fact that he didn't participate in any post season all star games or even work out at the combines. These pundits had nothing to base their ratings on. That makes it easy for them to sit back and call it a bad pick.

Fact is though that there are two camps on whether or not Moore was worhty of a second round pick. Who is right will only be determined by what he does on the field. for anyone to sit here and say it was a great pick is as ludicrous as someone saying it was a horrible pick.

The kid has talent. He fills a major need. Only time will tell if he can start in this league. If he does then he was a good/great pick. If he's never more than a special teamer then he was a reach.

Morlon Greenwood is an unrestricted free agent after this season. Anybody still think Moore doesn't fill a major need?

Originally posted by inFINSible
Morlon Greenwood is an unrestricted free agent after this season. Anybody still think Moore doesn't fill a major need?

Yah I read that to and think it's a mistake. He should be a RFA and we can give him the lowest tender and hope someone bites and we can at least get a 3rd back for him.

Sounded strange that we hadn't heard it before but I ran with it anyway....I could be wrong.

"Do you think in the multi-million dollar business of covering the NFL that Mel Kiper and the ESPN guys just sit around over a couple of Coronas and decide what the think about the athletes? These guys have input from the athletes, their college coaches, pro scouts, coaches, medical professionals, etc. The spend the entire year watching every player tracking their productivity. They attend the combines, the Senior Bowl, the college games. This is a major industry and it is an advance science."

They don't attend the combine, it is not a science fo rthem. They're not allowed in the combine, this is a entertianment business for them. It is about who can spew out the most about the most players. As was said Mel Kiper and the late Joel Buschbuam doubtfully ever had a stop watch on a person, ever drove from backwoods tenneseee to slim pickens Oklamhoma to interview and test players. What they do is colate information, yes they do attend all star games and see practices, they talk to scouts and agents, use measurements gathered from other sources. Then they put it all together and sell a newslwtter or give a short bio during the draft.

Back
Top Bottom