Receiving Corps Analysis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Receiving Corps Analysis

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
I know it's way early - but there's not a lot else to talk about, so ... I'd like to hear your comments (premature though they may be) on the WR's/TE's/RB's as a receiving corps. Here's my take:

WR's - I thought this was one of our weakest positions coming out of last year, along with OLB and S. As it looks now, I like this group:

1st - I like Norv's philosophy of going with fewer 4 WR sets and keeping a TE in on 3rd and long, with 3 WR's. This is why I think we added TE depth in Lee.

Chambers - he knows pressure is on him to become the star. He needs to get open and make some big plays and Jay needs to be able to hit him deep. I think the hit he took really changed the season for him.

McKnight - if he can only hang on to the ball, he'll be solid. He gets open, has good speed, and can catch, but he just loses concentration. I think some hard work on the ball will help.

Thompson - he was my 4th WR on my fantasy team last year so I saw him in a couple of games and really liked him. He put up some good stats in a WR merry-go-round at Wash - even when he started he would come out a great deal.

Tolver - Right now he looks like the top guy for #4 spot. He could be a steal as a 5th rounder. I hope so. I like his size and love the # of catches he garnered last year. From what everyone has said about his pass catching skills, he should surprise some people in this league. I like his "chip on his shoulder" attitude about not getting picked til the 5th round, as well. That always seems to make a player compete a little harder (see Laverneas Coles).

Baker, Newson, Simmons, C. Rogers, & maybe Chris Jackson (Arena league) - all of these should add some good competition for the # 5 WR spot. Baker probably has the edge given his experience and play in Europe, but the others will be competitive. I've wondered if we'd ever keep 6 WR's, but with the increased use of the TE and more 3 WR sets than 4, it's not likely.

TE:

McMichael - needs to avoid sophomore jinx and the late season disappearing act (though that could be partially from the changes at QB and the resulting inconsistent play from the offense in general). I think once we get into the flow and if everyone remains healthy, he should be a solid big play guy.

Donald Lee - I like the addition of this guy. His blocking should put him in some games in red zone and short yardage situations and I think he'll surprise as a receiver. He should replace Weaver and moreso.

Battaglia - Could be a decent #3 TE, but his PT has been so inconsistent over the past few years. Yet, he does have some skills, so I think this is the deepest TE corps we've had in a while.

Ed Perry - Long snapping skills keep him on the team and that alone should guarantee his status. Decent TE with some blocking skills and will get some PT, but he's really a long-snapper and does a great job of it as well.

RB's (as Receivers):

Konrad - It seems Norv is going to add some more to his playbook for Konrad. He certainly has talent and needs to continue to show it. Did a good job last year and I think he can beat a lot of LB's.

Ricky - Seems he's going to do some more 3rd down work. This is good as it will showcase some under-rated receiving skills. However, I don't want us to wear him down - I think the reason he was so good late in the year is that we rested him early on. But, he will be an added dimension as a receiving threat.

Edwards - did a good job the 1st couple of games then sort of faded out of the picture. Stopped being productive. I look for him to work hard to get some PT and I think he'll be better with last year under his belt. I think he'll push for some PT and get some. As a backup Runner to Ricky, I think he's pretty solid.

Minor - The Ricky deal really hindered his PT, along with Edwards. He has some skills, but hasn't gotten the PT. His special teams tackling has enhanced his roster spot (the bungled KO return last year against the Pats was ridiculous!). I'd like to see more from him, but where does he fit?

Henry - if he can make some plays on ST's and shows some flash as a decent backup RB, I could see us trading Minor or Edwards in camp to someone whose lost a RB. But, that's a BIG IF.

I like what Norv is doing and I think his system will come alive this year. The keys will be Fiedler being able to be accurate on the deep pass and continue to improve on cutting down mistakes, along with the general health of everyone. Remember, what killed the team last year was the injuries - in one week we lost both starting WR's and our starting QB - one was lost for the year and the other two were Never the same when they returned. So, if we stay healthy (which is the key to any contender), I think you'll see marked improvement. The knowledge of Turner's system will make the players better and the ability of Norv to throw in more wrinkles this year will also. The fact that McMichael can ostensibly be a #4 WR on passing downs, really enhances the depth of the WR's. Of course, keeping Ricky healthy will also be key - he can really set up the rest of the passing attack.

I think Ricky has plenty of steam to last through all downs in games/season.

We only were using Edwards on 3rd downs for like 4 games, correct? Then it was all Rick.

I dunno..I think he's on some kind of eating/workout (couldn't give ya details) he eats only eats like rice ;\..when a lot of NFL players will still eat junk food..

Hence the reason why a lot of people say he gets stronger/better later in the games. Probably due to the fact he has so much stamina and other players are beginning to tire..

The man is a tank..
I like all of our RB's actually.
I believe if give the chance any of them could start for an NFL team, especially Edwards.

I'm looking for McMichael to tear some shizit up this year.

Good analysis, but this is all speculation til training camp starts.. Enough with the talking and words... Time to see what these cats are made out of... til then... :sleep: :sleep:
WAKE ME UP when traning camp starts..

:drinker:

What about Bellamy or Fryzel? Ive heard good stuff about them. Perhaps they can win the 5th WR spot over Baker.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
I think Ricky has plenty of steam to last through all downs in games/season.

We only were using Edwards on 3rd downs for like 4 games, correct? Then it was all Rick.

The first 10 games Ricky was relieved on 3rd downs... Which makes his 1853 yards even more amazing when you think about it.

Good job. Let me take it in a slightly differant direction though.

Note that what Norv seems to be doing is keeping other teams in their base defense. Not going to many 3WR sets, using Konrad and/or McMichael in motion, keeping Ricky on the field for third downs. All this will keep us from being predictable. We can attack a base defense with four or five out in a pattern making a LB or SS cover McMichael, Ricky, or Konrad. These match-ups have to help us. It should put more man to man set ups out there for our WR's to exploit.

If we sub for rests or change of pace but stay in a base offense we should match up well against most teams.

The all-mighty "if" will of course be the ability of our offensive line to block without lots of help from the backs and/or TE. I think with a full year together and having Dixon at OLT from the beginning the odds are good that this will be OK.

Well it won't matter the offenseive set we use if it's constantly 3rd and long. The D will still go to a nickel or dime on passing situations so that's not a real good argument there.

We need to continue with our offense and try to get a few more big plays to balance it out IMO.

Stick with what brung ya.

I would say Charlie Rogers is the favorite to make the roster as the fifth WR, he will make it because of his returning ability, which is why he is here.

GOod Analysis....my favoirt part was the receiver corps. You hit every guy on the head with the analysees (sp?)

Da'fins- you say after last year you felt WR was a weak position.
Then you go out and sign Derrius Thompson and now all of a sudden you like them. I don't think Thompson is that much of an improvement nor do I think Chambers will suddenly turn into a great WR. If there is one spot you guys need to improve, this is it.

Well WR do suddenly become good in this league. Look at P.Price

It takes several years for most to reach potential and this could be the year Chambers does it.

Originally posted by EddieIrvine13
What about Bellamy or Fryzel? Ive heard good stuff about them. Perhaps they can win the 5th WR spot over Baker.

Good points. I completely forgot about them after the camp. I too recall hearing a couple of positive things about them. This is a good point. It will still be tough to unseat Baker given his experience as a WR on the team, knowledge of the offense and punt return experience. Still, if they don't I'd look for one or both to be signed to the practice squad, if not snatched up.

Originally posted by Ohiophinphan
Good job. Let me take it in a slightly differant direction though.

Note that what Norv seems to be doing is keeping other teams in their base defense. Not going to many 3WR sets, using Konrad and/or McMichael in motion, keeping Ricky on the field for third downs. All this will keep us from being predictable. We can attack a base defense with four or five out in a pattern making a LB or SS cover McMichael, Ricky, or Konrad. These match-ups have to help us. It should put more man to man set ups out there for our WR's to exploit.

If we sub for rests or change of pace but stay in a base offense we should match up well against most teams.

The all-mighty "if" will of course be the ability of our offensive line to block without lots of help from the backs and/or TE. I think with a full year together and having Dixon at OLT from the beginning the odds are good that this will be OK.

Excellent points and analysis. I think you are right. I also think health will be a key (esp. Dixon and Nails). Despite the fact I like Seth McKinney a lot - I think he could be a center for the next 6-8 years for us - he's not a guard in the mold of Nails, who can handle the 330-350 pounders at DT and pull and blast a CB away - that's impressive! I thought he should have been voted into the Pro Bowl as a starter. If those two are at full speed, we'll be okay.

Originally posted by buffman
Da'fins- you say after last year you felt WR was a weak position.
Then you go out and sign Derrius Thompson and now all of a sudden you like them. I don't think Thompson is that much of an improvement nor do I think Chambers will suddenly turn into a great WR. If there is one spot you guys need to improve, this is it.

At the end of the year, given the production, yes. But, it's not just the signing of Thompson. Our passing game was simply out of synch from the Fiedler injury on - if you read the post, you'll see that point. Chambers was an excellent WR his rookie season and we played it conservative the first few games, limiting his production - plus he was learning a new offense under Norv. After his injury he was rattled a bit the rest of the year and inconsistent. Further, the QB situation wasn't what it could be (see my post on that). For all those reasons and the comments on the WR's I made as well as Norv's game planning - we'll be improved. Furthermore, most WR's don't become good until their 3-4th season (see your beloved Moulds stats his first two years; or Tim Brown; or Peerless Price; or the vast majority of top WR's). He showed his ability in flashes last year and much more so his rookie year. A rejuvinated Chambers will be much improved.

Back
Top Bottom