Regardless of how the draft goes, some questions will still remain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Regardless of how the draft goes, some questions will still remain

InSabanWeTrust1

Section 238 row 6
Reaction score
nick can have a sick draft and get lawson, hagan, db, and 3 7th rounders but questions will still remain. the 7th round picks aren't going to play this year so you have to figure either wr, dt, or olb will still have a big ? next to it and our secondary will still be a ? even if we draft a defensive back 1st or 3rd round. No matter how he drafts, some area on offense such as will culpepper be healthy, did we get a good 3rd slot receiver, do we have a capable C or G and will shelton play to his potential? Some questions will be answered in the draft. On defense our dline will remain solid its just the question of age thats why we want to get younger at dt. we have solid dt for the next year or so. OLB will be a big question unless we adress this first round. Crowder, Thomas, X, X. i guess jason taylor will fill up one of the x's most of the time and play carter, holliday, traylor on the line. And the secondary...we might draft a db early but he cant play all 4 positions. I think well be fine in nickel and dime sets b/c we have some depth now. But matching up our cbs on their wrs right now were in trouble. We have young guys in daniels and poole and a solid #2 in allen with two unknown safeties.

So however and wherever Saban adresses this draft will answer a couple of our questions most likely olb 3rd receiver and ONE defensive back. But our oline, secondary, and health of our quarterback will still be in question and will still be the reason of hundreds of threads up untill game one.

Then the answers will start to be unveiled.

I really don't feel OLB is a super area of concern, definelty needs to be addressed, but man people make it seem we will be a man short on d the whole year w/o a superstar at OLB. We still got active competition in Spragan, Pope, Hodge and Eddie Moore, to compete for a spot so I mean sure its not Arrington but we will be ok. Safety is a concern I feel more than anything else on the team, not even that we need an immediate starter but just the depth in general. Overall if we don't get any more picks, we should focus on S, OLB and WR with the 3 main picks we got. But I have a gut feeling Saban gets us a few more picks.

My ideal situation is: Saban trades down in round one, picking up a second rounder in the process. We nab Bobby Carpenter and Ko Simpson/Bing (Simpson preferred, hope he's there) with our 2 picks. Then round 3 we can nab a 3rd WR from the many that will be available with great potential. Round 4 Saban rolls the dice on Wroten so we solve another problem . . . we get a stud DT steal in round 4 who Saban has coached back in LSU. Then round 7 we can take BPA, possibly a O-Line prospect that Saban feels Houck can do wonders with, an Athlete that can be a project and maybe a corner. If it goes down like this next weekend, we all should be extremely excited

We won't have any huge holes. Of course, there are always going to be areas we can improve, but overall, we should be one of the most solid teams in the league.

QB and LT were the only gaping holes we had, and they were filled.

TXFinFan said:
We won't have any huge holes. Of course, there are always going to be areas we can improve, but overall, we should be one of the most solid teams in the league.

QB and LT were the only gaping holes we had, and they were filled.

Agreed. I think people sometimes get into this mentality that every weakness has to be filled, and right away.

There are rarely perfect teams anymore. New England won 3 Super Bowls with (at one time or another) a mediocre running game, offensive line and secondary. The best coaches know how to mask weaknesses, so I wouldn't go jumping off a bridge if we can't find a top-notch 3rd receiver or pass rushing OLB/DE.

Miami Dolphins
1(16)-Jimmy Williams, CB, Virgina Tech
3(82)-Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida St.
4(114)-Skyler Green,WR, LSU
7(212)-Kedrick Golston, DT, Georgia
7(226)-Tyrone Culver, S, Fresno State
7(233)-?

That leaves many questions answered.

Miami_Dolphins said:
Miami Dolphins
1(16)-Jimmy Williams, CB, Virgina Tech
3(82)-Kamerion Wimbley, DE/OLB, Florida St.
4(114)-Skyler Green,WR, LSU
7(212)-Kedrick Golston, DT, Georgia
7(226)-Tyrone Culver, S, Fresno State
7(233)-?

That leaves many questions answered.

Do you REALLY think Wimbley will be there in the 3rd? I don't.
Would love your mock if it happened.

InSabanWeTrust1 said:
nick can have a sick draft and get lawson, hagan, db, and 3 7th rounders but questions will still remain. the 7th round picks aren't going to play this year so you have to figure either wr, dt, or olb will still have a big ? next to it and our secondary will still be a ? even if we draft a defensive back 1st or 3rd round. No matter how he drafts, some area on offense such as will culpepper be healthy, did we get a good 3rd slot receiver, do we have a capable C or G and will shelton play to his potential? Some questions will be answered in the draft. On defense our dline will remain solid its just the question of age thats why we want to get younger at dt. we have solid dt for the next year or so. OLB will be a big question unless we adress this first round. Crowder, Thomas, X, X. i guess jason taylor will fill up one of the x's most of the time and play carter, holliday, traylor on the line. And the secondary...we might draft a db early but he cant play all 4 positions. I think well be fine in nickel and dime sets b/c we have some depth now. But matching up our cbs on their wrs right now were in trouble. We have young guys in daniels and poole and a solid #2 in allen with two unknown safeties.

So however and wherever Saban adresses this draft will answer a couple of our questions most likely olb 3rd receiver and ONE defensive back. But our oline, secondary, and health of our quarterback will still be in question and will still be the reason of hundreds of threads up untill game one.

Then the answers will start to be unveiled.

I think you are underestimating the talent we've acquired in the secondary...

Allen is equal to the Sam Madison of the last 3 years. He's faster and a better tackler...he isn't quite the cover guy as SM, but doesn't have to be in this scheme. There is a question on Poole, because of the injury. But he was slated to be our CB opposite Madison last year. He fits well in this scheme also. I look for him to pick up where he left off. Goodman will be our nickel back and is solid. Mitchell is a forgotten guy here too, he was slated by Saban to be our nickel back last year...Then there is Shabazz.

Daniels played solidly for a rookie 4th rounder last year at CB but he also can play SS or FS in this scheme quite well (as he did at LSU)...Hill is a pretty good FS and better than Schulters (faster for sure, not as big a hitter)...Tillman played surprisingly well down the stretch last year at SS but that may still be weakness. Bell and Cooper provide good depth...Cooper is due to have a breakout year, should he be able to break the lineup at SS...

OLB is a need position but we could get by with what we have. Seau might even be brought back if we don't get the guy we want in the draft. I would be mildly surprised if we don't see Greenway, Carpenter, Wimbley or Lawson from this draft though. There are a few guys still out there in FA as well (Sharper, Polley, Diggs, Claiborne)

#3 WR is a need position. Campbell fills the need, but an infusion of talent from the draft wouldn't hurt. The question on Campbell is whether he can recover from the year out of football. He has the speed and hands and can break free from the DBs off the line and he has a report with DC...he still has to prove it though...

OL is a position we can get by on, but infusing more talent than what we have wouldn't hurt. Shelton played to his potential last year...better than what he has played prior. HH did some wonderful things with a weak interior OL and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues that work on this year...Think of it this way, our starting LT from last year is now a swing backup tackle...Carey has another year under his belt and showed some good signs later in the year last year...We could use someone at C or RG...James is solid...I see June 1st cuts possibly upgrading the interior of the line there...

I just don't see things as quite a question as you do, however, there are still questions...But you'd have to admit that there were many more questions going into last year than this year....in fact, the QB issues last year really masked many of the other issues we had as a team...everyone was so intent on AJ and Gus that they forgot about Seau, Jones, Daniels, Poole being gone, etc....Oh yea, DL was a real concern last year too that proved to be not much of a concern....

really? to whom may i ask? Wimbley isint going first round. Maybe mid second, but i think we will be able to get him in the third

Miami_Dolphins said:
really? to whom may i ask? Wimbley isint going first round. Maybe mid second, but i think we will be able to get him in the third
What? There's a good chance he's gone before we pick at #16.

wimbleys going first round!!!!!!!!they have him and lawson ranked neck and neck. cleveland was one possibility just check out some of the mock drafts. he hasnt been falling past #25 in any draft. cleveland, miami, new england would all take him or lawson. all 3 have needs at de/olb and wimbley and lawson are prototypical olb for their systems. please dont make a post having wimbley go 3rd when hes been flying up charts as high as #12 overall.

Back
Top Bottom