Remember 1974??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Remember 1974???

TGall13

Tagalager
Reaction score
Remember in 1974 Csonka, Kick and Warfield left the Dolphins!!

After a contract dispute in 1974, Csonka, Kiick and teammate Paul Warfield signed with the World Football League. In 1976 Csonka returned to the NFL, this time signing with the New York Giants for three seasons from 1976-1978. He returned to the Dolphins in 1979 leading the team in rushing with 837 yards and was named MVP by Dolphins teammates.

I remember being so mad at these guys I couldn't stand it. However, when Csonka came back, all was forgotten...Remind you of anything going on right now??

I wasn't alive in 1974 so I don't know, did they leave at the beginning of training camp?
I'm more upset at Ricky for the timing of his departure, rather than the departure itself. If he left at the end of the season then I would have wished him well. It was all about the timing.
That being said, if he rejoins the team, despite my doubts, and a few boos in the beginnig of the season, I will support him.

Nope. Csonka didn't dump the news on the Phins less than a week before the start of TC. He played a full year with Miami AFTER signing up with Memphis.

Any other questions?

TGall13 said:

After a contract dispute in 1974, Csonka, Kiick and teammate Paul Warfield signed with the World Football League. In 1976 Csonka returned to the NFL, this time signing with the New York Giants for three seasons from 1976-1978. He returned to the Dolphins in 1979 leading the team in rushing with 837 yards and was named MVP by Dolphins teammates.

I remember being so mad at these guys I couldn't stand it. However, when Csonka came back, all was forgotten...Remind you of anything going on right now??
Csonka was a man ricky is a ******.

FemaleFinFan said:
I'm more upset at Ricky for the timing of his departure, rather than the departure itself. If he left at the end of the season then I would have wished him well. It was all about the timing.

Exactly. I'd have been disappointed, but it wouldn't have been the screw job he put on his.

Was born in '75

I'm also one who isn't mad at ricky.

True, Ricky's timing is the issue for me as well. No one could blame him for not wanting to play football anymore due to the physical nature of the sport. But the timing and the unremorseful attitude is what got to me. He still doesn't believe he owes anyone an appology??

I was reading an article about a local businessman who invested over one million dollars in RW items to resell. He is now out of business from the loss. Think that guy wants to see Ricky back??

TGall13 said:
True, Ricky's timing is the issue for me as well. No one could blame him for not wanting to play football anymore due to the physical nature of the sport. But the timing and the unremorseful attitude is what got to me. He still doesn't believe he owes anyone an appology??

I had downloaded that 60 minutes interview from joked.com a month or so ago and watched it again a few nights ago. He's just messed up man.

RW - "I'd apologize if I thought there was anything I did I should apologize about, but if I just say it, it doesn't mean anything"

MW - "You ruined the Dolphins' season. Your teamates, the fans had a legitimate belief they ahd a shot at the superbowl"?

RW - "What if I disagree?"

MW - "About what?"

RW - "That I messed up their season"?

MW - "Come on ..."

TGall13 said:

Nope, I don't see any similarity. Csonka had a reasonable belief that the the team was trying to screw him. JR was notoriously cheap. And Csonka had the oppotunity to be set for life. (NFL players didn't make what they do now). Every teammate would understand that.

RW lied to his teammates faces. "I'm going to be a leader" while thinking I'm going to retire. Then he said he blamed everyone else for going back on his word.

Yes I remember 1974 well...I was 8 years old and living in Italy and I had to listen to my Phins on the radio....man was I sad when we lost all our keys guys to the WFL.....we would have won maybe 5-6 Superbowls in the 1970's and the Steelers never would have been the team of the 70's. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom