Remember: The chief goal of preseason is to remain healthy. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Remember: The chief goal of preseason is to remain healthy.

NashPhin

Run the Ball. Stop the Run.
Reaction score
Last night sucked. The o-line generated no running room. Our defense was shredded by a quarterback who resembles a fat Magic Johnson and the quarterback of the future looked terrible.

However, keep in mind that the whole key to the preseason, regardless of our record, is to remain healthy. Thus far, we have been surprisingly fortunate to keep all 22 projected starters healthy for the opener in Atlanta.

Be glad that we are debating our team's performance in a sloppy game that was the third in ten days, instead of worrying how we are going to replace Jake Long, Ronnie Brown, or Joey Porter. Just something to keep in mind...

Last night sucked. The o-line generated no running room. Our defense was shredded by a quarterback who resembles a fat Magic Johnson and the quarterback of the future looked terrible.

However, keep in mind that the whole key to the preseason, regardless of our record, is to remain healthy. Thus far, we have been surprisingly fortunate to keep all 22 projected starters healthy for the opener in Atlanta.

Be glad that we are debating our team's performance in a sloppy game that was the third in ten days, instead of worrying how we are going to replace Jake Long, Ronnie Brown, or Joey Porter. Just something to keep in mind...

I agree with your analysis of the game. It sucked. I am not sure I agree with your premise, that staying healthy is the #1 priority. I think its about evaluation. I want to see growth and production from players, I want to see older guys get sharp and younger guys get experience. I would like to see our Oline play well as a unit even if the playcalling is bland.

Injuries are a part of football. But, if you are going to risk playing football, and going to risk getting better as football players, you have to be willing to accept the risk that someone might get hurt. I dont see how this game (injury free or not) gives us anything productive to take from it.

I agree. Good post. We still have time to get better as a healthy team. BTW...can someone tell Josh Freeman's hair it's not 1975 anymore? I would not have been surprised in the least if he would have taken his helmet off at mid-field and started singing "Dont stop till you get enough."

Good Post

While staying healthy is very important for obvious reasons...the point of preseason is to improve and to get ready for the season.

1. 1st Team Coheisveness on O and D
2. Evaluate depth
3. Distinguish players from gym rats.

Staying healthy is not anyones goals for preseason because it's not something anyone has control over. If players have been conditioned well and participate in one or two series and still get hurt then it's just unfortunate but potentially would have happened in the first game anyways; see Smiley and Thomas last year.

Personally, there's something about last nights game I look at positively. We're 3-0 in the preseason and defending AFC East Champs. Last night was more than a dismal performance. It seemed to be the entire squad was off. The entire team looked a step slow and lethargic.

If this team is thinking better than itself. If we as fans were getting a little too confident.. perhaps this will light a fire under the team and temper our expectations in a vastly improved division.

I would prefer this type of performance in the preseason than in the regular season. And yes.. there ill be one in the regualr season too. But I guarantee you every man in that locker room is going to be stepping it up after liast nights game.

Back
Top Bottom