Replacement for O-Gun (if he goes) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Replacement for O-Gun (if he goes)

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know..I'm getting way ahead of myself here..but I enjoy speculating what Miami might be planning. IF the Fins decide to improve the offense through draft picks by letting O-Gun go, I think Eric Hicks (UFA) could be a nice replacement.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_id=3100&hubName=KC

Note the flaws remark..

He's only 27, his sack totals have dropped over the last few seasons...which might make him expendable and definitely a lot less expensive than Wally.

I certainly don't think any of you want to see either David Bowens or a rookie starting opposite J.T... if O-Gun leaves that is.

Then Miami can get the QB, WR and maybe OL they want with the draft picks. At least that what I hope Miami does.

David Bowens was plenty sufficient as far as I can remember... the only mark against him is that he got himself on IR changing a lightbulb or somethin like that

"I certainly don't think any of you want to see either David Bowens or a rookie starting opposite J.T... if O-Gun leaves that is."

I stand corrected. :)

Yeah, D. Bowens was somebody's fave. I never understood why they were so quick to give him a big contract and so hesitant to give OGUN the starting position (or negotiate a long term contract with him).

i have no problem with bowens either, we've seen several people have success opposite JT. Save us money by not going after another free agent, we have bowens and a few other guys that we can rotate in, i think we'll be fine.

I love OGUN, but this is a great year both FA and draft and i think we need to make a big splash, so hopefully we can load up on the picks and save some money to sign a couple guys.

I question whether David can hold up against the run.

If Ogunleye leaves, Jay Williams will start.

It may be a moot point anyways. I found this.

"Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil and team president/general manager Carl Peterson have expressed a desire to retain defensive end Eric Hicks and cornerback William Bartee as well."

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
i have no problem with bowens either, we've seen several people have success opposite JT. Save us money by not going after another free agent, we have bowens and a few other guys that we can rotate in, i think we'll be fine.

I love OGUN, but this is a great year both FA and draft and i think we need to make a big splash, so hopefully we can load up on the picks and save some money to sign a couple guys.

Dolphins.....big splash......HEHEHEHEHE! :)

:roflmao:

Originally posted by KBISBACK
I question whether David can hold up against the run.

If Ogunleye leaves, Jay Williams will start.

I'm not sure about that either...Jay Williams is slated to make 1.2 million in 2004. He's 32 yrs. old and he hasn't started a game in the last 2 years.

I've got no problem with Bowens or someone a little bit unknown starting opposite Ogunleye. We've gone into the season with a ? there for a few years. This season was the only one that wasn't. We still have Bowens, Williams, & Grigsby.

Here's the thing about Bowens. He's a JT clone basically. I remember when he first got here his athleticism was amazing, he was actually able to play special teams as a DE and thats like unheard of. In all the speed and agility drills he was constantly coming in second only to JT. But he can't stay healthy, and never has been able to stay healthy. They gave him a contract because it looked like he was finally gonna settle down and play here in Miami, was finally mature enough to handle everything unlike when he was in Denver and I believe Green Bay, and to be completely honest they thought it was going to be David Bowens starting opposite JT not Ogunleye.

But Bowens got injured and opened the door, Ogun got a bunch of sacks in that preseason opener vs Tampa Bay, and Ogun hasn't looked back since then. Then this season when D-Bo could have at least figured into the rotation since the coaches were not convinced Ogun was as good as his 9.5 sacks suggested, he injured himself changing a lightbulb (honestly one he shouldn't have been changing considering it was 30 feet up in the air).

If Ogun leaves, likely yeah it will be Bowens turn again. I'm just wondering what he's going to hurt this time, probably opening up the door for Jay Williams or Otis Grigsby...who also looks like JT out there.

Personally I just think we should do everything in our power to keep Ogunleye unless he's getting bites from a team with a fairly good first round pick. If its the Eagles pick, forget about it. Its not worth it to lose a guy who will consistently give us along with JT a dynamic passrush.

Remember that Tampa Bay basically won the Super Bowl with their DL all season long. New England has such success because they can rush the passer from the LB spot. One thing that each of the last like half dozen super bowl teams could all do IMO, was rush the damn passer like maniacs. If we added a passrush presence at DT to go with Ogunleye and Jason Taylor, we'd have a DL that could CARRY our defense.

Thing is...JT makes anyone on the other side of him look GOOD!....But if OGUN does leave (which i hope he doesnt) we would still need someone who is at least decent....D.Bowens looks like he will run out of fuel.

Back
Top Bottom