Report: Gase non-committal on Cutler as starter when healthy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Gase non-committal on Cutler as starter when healthy

Moore could go 2-0 here agains Balt and Oakland with a 8-0 TD/INT ratio and Gase would start Cutler against carolina no doubt in my mind. Makes no sense at all but he’s so damn stubborn he will go with Cutler no matter what. I don’t think the players would be happy about it at all though.

Teams will catch on to the limited playbook Gase has to use w/ Moore.

That is so true. I love what Matt has done for us on and off the field but to say he's not limited is being a homer. Like I said, I love the guy and wouldn't take another backup in the league but we all know he can be very careless with the ball and just isn't a starting Qb for whatever reasons. The FO would have loved to keep $10 mil and let Matt get his shot if they truly believed he was a staring caliber QB. He's a GREAT backup and could start on 3-4 teams (Jets, 49ers, Browns, maybe even the Jags). Cutler looked to me like he had his best game. Nothing he can do about Adams being the total stud he already is.

Well we all know that Baltimore will come out ready to play and probably win, unfortunately. Especially if our O-line isn´t healthy and we can´t run the ball and Parker doesn´t play. Not too mention that the "D" made Josh McCown löök like Joe Namath so I can only imagine Flacco after a beatdown he took in MN. Hopefully this post will result in reverse psychology and the Fins get a "W"....................

Wonder how or if the incentives in Cutler's deal play into this. Is it possible that Cutler received certain guarentees about playing time, if healthy?

This is where the ego of someone like Gase becomes a double-edged sword. Yeah, you like a guy who's confident in what he's doing and in what he believes. But it's also very evident when he's being blinded by that same confidence and not understanding that his allegiance to a player from his past is going to hurt the team.

Couple of things.....first, Cutler could be out longer than the 2 to 3 weeks that's out there. Cracked ribs at 34 is not as easy to come back from so he could be out a month or more for all we know. They kept saying Tannehill was coming back last year but he never did so I don't trust what they're saying.

Now as far as MM....I'm not surprised he did well as he's done it before. The problem has always being that he can't keep the good play going for a whole season. Honestly, I believe Strock was a better back up but he was never a good all season long starter. Time will tell with Moore but the board is going crazy right now thinking he's the solution but once he has a bad game people will change their tune. I hope we keep winning but I really want to see progress with our young players more than anything

Ozzy rules!!

They probably have to say that: otherwise Cutler might well say: "**** this ****, I didn't come out of retirement, break some ribs to end up as the backup to a backup.. I don't need this so asta la vista baby." Does he breach his contract if he does? I dunno... maybe it depends on whether he gives some of that pro rata money back.

But either way, they could be pondering: "would you rather have Cutler behind this swiss cheese OL with Moore as a back up, or Moore behind the same line with a useless neer do well as the back up?"

It might boil down to those 2 options.

Teams will catch on to the limited playbook Gase has to use w/ Moore.

I'd rather have better QB play and a limited playbook than crappy QB play and an extensive playbook.

When Tannehill went down, we knew that we're not going to rely on the QB position to win us games. It's all going to depend on how well Ajayi and the Defense plays.

They have to start Cutler. Cutler is the type of personality that gets disinterested quickly, and Gase knows this. The only way to get any kind of value out of Cutler is to start him. It will suck if Moore continuous to play well on Thursday, but not as much as flushing 10 mil down the drain. Our coaching staff and FO will not allow that to happen unless it becomes absolutely necessary, which is unlikely. Just how it is.

You are right about cutler, i think if he gets benched he'll check out, perhaps literally even, but we should not be making any decisions based on placating this guy. Put the best man for the job in, and right now he aint it! Screw the 10 million, if moore starts your starter is dirt cheap anyway to make up for it....admit the mistake and move on, hopefully with Cutler as a disinterested backup, or perhaps with someone else worst case scenario.

This should never had come out. If Gase said this, it shows no confidence in Moore and poor coaching. You ride the guy that brings you success. If asked the question, the response should have been, "We'll have to see what happens when Jay is healthy". Throwing this out there can really divide that locker room right now.

If Moore plays well and this team goes 2-0 or even 1-1 over the next two.... There's no way I'm going into Carolina with Jay Cutler at QB.

This is expected though. Gase will absolutely stick by Cutler. And it might end up being his downfall with the fanbase.

Now as far as MM....I'm not surprised he did well as he's done it before. The problem has always being that he can't keep the good play going for a whole season. Honestly, I believe Strock was a better back up but he was never a good all season long starter. Time will tell with Moore but the board is going crazy right now thinking he's the solution but once he has a bad game people will change their tune. I hope we keep winning but I really want to see progress with our young players more than anything

Ozzy rules!!

I agree with you that Moore generally can't keep good play going, and he'll be crushed by any decent defense. But you're comparing that to...what, exactly? The possibility of Cutler improving with time? Because if the Cutler we've seen so far is the Cutler we'll have for the rest of the season, it's plainly obvious we should have kept that $10M and just rolled with Moore, limited as he is.

Cutler simply doesn't have the hunger. His teammates haven't been playing for him. He's not "part of the brotherhood."

It all comes down to loyalty. Gase is loyal to his guys. Cutler was his guy. He called Cutler up and said "Hey man, I've got a great team, we've got a legit shot, come back, let's finish what we started get you going out on the right page maybe with a SB ring, and hey you get some more cash."

So then what...Gase is going to turn around and stiff the guy basically doing him a favor? Embarrass him by benching him? Not allow him to reach the incentives that get him the money he was promised? Nah, Gase is too loyal for that. He's just not going to see that loyalty to a guy from outside of the team is not going to feel the same as loyalty to a guy on the team to the players in that lockerroom.

Back
Top Bottom