Report - Landry deal close | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report - Landry deal close

How many people do you personally know that stopped watching due to that? I've heard maybe a few talk about doing it, and only one that I'm about 80% sure he didnt watch any, BUT, he's not really an NFL fan, more of a guy who watches a game if its on tv.. I don't disagree that they may have lost some viewership due to that, but not a significant amount. Whereas, I would wager more people nowadays are starting to stream games instead of paying for ST, and I would assume that hurts a lot more. It's easier, and free if you do it illegally. I still pay for directv's ST streaming service (which is me bypassing their stupid rule to get it anyways) because I find it more reliable. But say they allow everyone to purchase a stand alone, streaming option, I figure that a lot of people would be all in on that
Well it came out in the news that over half the Miami Dade police force that had attended games quit coming over that issue. Don't have the article but remember reading it as it suprised me. The phins had to find additional security options at the stadium. My guess is alot of the officers are military vets and probably many of our population who served could feel dis inchanted with the players. I felt that the first half of the season it was all the rage in the NFL and the talking heads and then suddenly the media went quiet. Usually when something changes follow the money.

Guys let's leave the political discussion for our POFO forums. I'm gonna leave what has been posted but continuing political discussions will be removed or moved to the political forum.

The topic is the Landry negotiations . Please stay on topic

Carry on

An honest question here: Can Jarvis play nice going forward assuming he's retained?

Here's what I mean.

1) It's very likely Grant targets and opportunities are going to increased significantly next season
2) It's likely if Tannehill is the QB he's going to count on Stills for more of the long ball. Picking up where they left off
3) DVP(sigh) likely will benefit from having Tannehill back
4) We know that Drake is going to be more featured too
5) If we can finally get a TE

The point is this all points to Jarvis numbers per target going down from his rookie season.

Will Jarvis play nice and accept that?

I'd wager yes he could deal with it, as long as the team is winning and he's getting still reasonably involved - meaning 4-6 touches on good days, 2-3 touches on bad days - reasonable expectations under those circumstances.

Of course, when we look at it like that, I start to wonder once again about the wisdom of giving him big time money. As has been pointed out regularly, Landry brings alot to the table outside those touches, so i'm torn on this.

Well it came out in the news that over half the Miami Dade police force that had attended games quit coming over that issue. Don't have the article but remember reading it as it suprised me. The phins had to find additional security options at the stadium. My guess is alot of the officers are military vets and probably many of our population who served could feel dis inchanted with the players. I felt that the first half of the season it was all the rage in the NFL and the talking heads and then suddenly the media went quiet. Usually when something changes follow the money.

Out of respect for fishfan, I sent you a pm

I'd wager yes he could deal with it, as long as the team is winning and he's getting still reasonably involved - meaning 4-6 touches on good days, 2-3 touches on bad days - reasonable expectations under those circumstances.

Of course, when we look at it like that, I start to wonder once again about the wisdom of giving him big time money. As has been pointed out regularly, Landry brings alot to the table outside those touches, so i'm torn on this.

You really think Landry would be fine with 4-6 touches a game?

Honestly Landry strikes me as the type of guy that needs 10+ touches a game with at least 2 TDs. Of course that's great if we're still winning and averaging 30+ points a game too.

Just a quick reminder that if a deal is close that doesn't necessarily mean he stays in Miami. There's been some twitter talk of the possibility of a sign and trade with Landry. Could be another team has stepped up with an offer. Miami can tag Landry and then trade him.

This is like a broken record. Your most important contribution to site ranting about a rating based on someone's opinion of if the pass was good.

Your basing this on 40 deep passes in 2016. That's a pretty small sample size to be claiming anything. While Ryan was better on these deep throws I think you are going a little over board touting this.

What about the 88 attempts in the 10-20 range that netted a 69 passer rating and more interception than TD's. Those are the ones that made the offense leave the field all to often.

Now back on topic. I hope they find a way to keep Jarvis without overpaying.
Considering he was also #2 or #3 in QBR from a clean pocket, that only goes to show that maybe if he had a little more time to complete those fast short passes, things might have been different, ya think?

And if you don't like my ad nauseum citing of these stats, how do you think at least 70% of us feel about some of the anti-THill rainmen with the same tired rhetoric, who represent less than 15% of FH posters, yet based on some threads and raging OCD, you'd think were the majority? Or you've got no complaint with them, amirite?

Now back on topic, Landry has a great chemistry with Tannehill, has an infectious will to win and is a producer; as such considering some of the slugs Tannenbum has overpaid, I'd have no problem paying him what will be market value which he will receive elsewhere, even if it's more than he's worth.

Honestly Landry strikes me as the type of guy that needs 10+ touches a game with at least 2 TDs. Of course that's great if we're still winning and averaging 30+ points a game too.
I think so- he actually seemed most frustrated the year with the most targets. He averaged 10 targets per game in 2017, catching about 7. It was more like 8 targets in 2016 so I think he would be OK with 6-7 on a winning team.

What most people seem to ignore is that Landry getting 5-6 targets per game would result in a statline you pay 5 or 6 MIL per at the very most... If the Fins decide they want to run the ball in the red zone, or that they want a big red zone TE, you can kiss his TDs goodbye too...

only If the team is winning, then yes. I think at his core he's a team guy, despite some of the antics. If it's a losing streak or losing season then hell no, he'd probably be getting into ODB territory as far as team nuisance with too few touches.

Im willing to bet that if we had a good OL his YPC would be greater. Not 18ypc better but above 10 for sure.

Outside of TE we have the players to produce. Thill is an iron man who pisses blood trying to stay in an almost instantaneous collapsing pocket.

Last edited:
But we are not fine salary cap-wise. We maxed out our salary cap and what do we have to show for it? A non-playoff year?

Sorry, we could attain the same results with half the salary.

That's my main point, we've paid for talent and we have nothing to show for it. Continuing to pour money into a non-playoff roster that is not improving is insanity.

What do we have to show for Suh?

What legendary results have been returned for one of the most expensive players during his contract?

Suh is the elephant in the room. Stop ignoring him.
As has been said many times...take Suh out of the lineup, and you will see just how bad this defense is. Having him in the middle allows everyone else to not look as bad as they are

What most people seem to ignore is that Landry getting 5-6 targets per game would result in a statline you pay 5 or 6 MIL per at the very most... If the Fins decide they want to run the ball in the red zone, or that they want a big red zone TE, you can kiss his TDs goodbye too...

Or having other targets on offense would keep teams from doubling Landry and allow him for more YAC and big plays. Not to mention getting our real QB back next year.

We need to go TE early, I'm hoping Andrews is still around in round 2.

Back
Top Bottom