Reporter Roundup | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reporter Roundup

A Wing Pilot

Section:445 Row:19 Seat:1&2
Reaction score
Ok I'm tired of all the whining and bitching about this reporter is mean, this reporter is bad, I hate this guy. I hate when this guy says XYor Z.

So what am I going to do about it? Well I am fishing for your favorite or least favorite reporter on the dolphins and Why!!! The important part is WHY. Please including the following reporters:

Dan Lebotard
Greg Cote
Joe Schad
Jason Cole
Armondo Salguero
Ethan Skolnick
Dave Hyde
Alex Marvez

Please feel free to add to this list. The more you give me the better. (armando-gate is covered bw)

After I've come up with a list of hatred/issues I plan on coming up with a surevey/interview for the reporters in the list. I know some of them personally so I can reach them. The idea is to Clarify what we want, clarify why they do the things they do and there standpoints (<--- wanny word) on certain issues. I'm thinking that this may end up being a very interesting article/topic as a lot of people get really heated about this issue.

I'd liek to see there views and what they tink there marketplace is comapred to our views and what we thing their marketplace is. The rea issue is going to be trying to understand opinion columns and there percived negativity.

I am only asking for this info in premium members area as to many people could respond and it could turn into something that i do not want it to become.

Thanks a bazillion guys

Awing

Ethan, because he has huge cajones to show up here and chat with us fans about his life. :D

Personal favorites:

Joe Schad. He's not only a great guy but great reporter. Anybody that spends an hour with him knows that he is probably one of the hardest working guys out there.

Ethan Skolnick: Just like Schad, also a great person / reporter. He shows a lot by coming on FinHeaven and giving his opinion or sticking up for his friends / colleagues. That shows a lot about his character.

For me, the type of person means a lot. Good characteristics mean a lot to me.

Reporters that I don't like: Mostly anyone from the Miami Herald... with one or so exceptions.

I think Schad tops my list... he seems like a good guy, and unlike some of the reporters it seems to me like he actually wants the team to do well. I don't know if he's a fan or not, but it seems to me that he reports in a manner that a fan might: be critical if it is warranted, but don't be critical just to be critical.

I like Schad, because his writing style is almost conversational. I'm not a big fan of Salguero, because he tends to draw conclusions from facts he's relayed earlier in his pieces and then portrays these conclusions as facts.

I don't mind Schad, I like Karen Crouse and I don't mind LeBatard.

Boomer said:
I don't mind Schad, I like Karen Crouse and I don't mind LeBatard.

Schad seems to care passionately about Miami and that's important. Yet he remains objective which is key. Crouse is an intelligent feature writer with good contacts and excellent knowledge. I don't buy this stuff about LeBatard and Williams ane he being bigger than the story. He had the biggest sports story of ther year - how else should he have done it? He works his contacts and he isn't afriad to be vociferous in his support of the team or where its planning to go.

Marvez is a douchebag who just seems to go with the flow of what the "gossip" is.

Schad's great, and Skolnick gets huge points for dropping by our board now and again. I also like LeBatard, though I'm probably in the minority.

I like lebatard's radio show always makes me laugh.. as for a reporter he makes me mad sometimes, but that's 'cause I'm probably one of the biggest fins homers around. Heck, I named my 2 kids after phin players. I like reading Joe Schad ussaly optimistc about things he writes.

I forgot to include Reporter i hate. It would have to be Pete Prisco.
It seams he always has something negative to say about the Miami Dolphins. He is probably a Patriots Bandwagon fan like the rest of the media.

The thing that puzzles me about LeBatard is that, unlike many reporters who adopt the persona of the fan, LeBard seems to be a players' apologist.

FinHeavenAJ said:
Personal favorites:

Joe Schad. He's not only a great guy but great reporter. Anybody that spends an hour with him knows that he is probably one of the hardest working guys out there.

Ethan Skolnick: Just like Schad, also a great person / reporter. He shows a lot by coming on FinHeaven and giving his opinion or sticking up for his friends / colleagues. That shows a lot about his character.

For me, the type of person means a lot. Good characteristics mean a lot to me.

Reporters that I don't like: Mostly anyone from the Miami Herald... with one or so exceptions.

I agree 100% ... Big O is also ok if you are counting the air media. He does drift into personel dis though on occasion.

awing_pilot said:
I hate when this guy says XYor Z.

Man.. I hate it too when reporters resort to quoting the alphabet.. with all the schoolin... and all the millions and billions of words available in English and other foreign languages.. you would think they would be a little creative..

I would love to find a job where I can put 3 letters together and get paid for it..

Reporters and writers I like, I like because they do a good job - not because I agree with what they write. Having said that...

Ethan Skolnick: I don't think there is a better writer or columnist covering the Miami Dolphins today, with the exception of Edwin Pope. Ethan consistently has the smartest, most informed perspective - emphasis on the "perspective" - of anyone in his field. He provides information, plus astute analysis that gives us valuable insight. He is the best we have right now.

Jason Cole: There isn't a single reporter that has Cole's knowledge of the game; add to that my humble opinion that he is the most talented pure writer in local sports - again, with the exception of Pope - and we are lucky to have him here. Despite the protestations of those who continue to hold a grudge against him for highfivegate, he is a highly principled individual who loves his job and gives freely of his own time to maintain a running QA feature in the Herald. It's a true puzzle that he has not been given more exposure and responsibility there. And it's a shame in my opinion.

Joe Schad: LOVE his blog; I think that feature is the single coolest thing that anyone has done in quite some time. His reporting is incisive, and he seems to get some unique insights to the everyday events on the team. This is a guy that will go places.

Also a few that I'll name in a group: Stoda, Crouse, Marvez (he started out a bit acerbic - overly so - but he's gotten better).

Reporters and writers I don't like, I dislike because they put themselves and their careers above the job; That, or they simply suck:

Dan LeBatard: Leave aside his active mimicry of the bullsh!t confrontational, controversial, and ultimately faddish styles of untalented hacks such as Jim Rome, et al; his interjection of his own personna to the Ricky Williams story was abhorrent. He could have maintained his integrity by taking on another reporter as a partner in the matter, and let that reporter write the stories while keeping his name in a byline. But hey, LeBatard has never let integrity stand in the way of his aspirations, has he?

Cote: LeBatard's sycophantic little b!tch; Tony Blair to LeBatard's George Bush. 'Nuff said.

Hyde: I dislike him since his op-ed piece upon Ricky's documented troubles with local law enforcement; in it he purported to understand - as a middle-aged white man - the experience of being black in America. What an @sswipe. Add to that a lack of talent for cohesive writing, and you have the reasons I no longer read his articles regarding the Phins.

I've probably missed a few, but that's the core.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom