Rex Ryan thinks of '85 Bears after loss | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rex Ryan thinks of '85 Bears after loss

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Ryan made a comparison that is sure to leave some football historians scratching their heads when he said the Jets' blowout loss to the Patriots reminded him of the Super Bowl champion 1985 Chicago Bears' loss to the Miami Dolphins on Monday Night Football.

The Bears came into their early December Monday night showdown against the Dolphins at 12-0 and lost 38-24. Chicago, with Rex's dad Buddy Ryan guiding its legendary "46" defense, went on to win Super Bowl XX.

"It's funny. I've been around this game a long time. That was the worst defeat in my coaching career that I've been a part of," Ryan said of the Monday night loss to the Patriots. "But there's another defeat that I think was probably just as humiliating, just as bad ... and that was the '85 Bears against Miami."

Ryan never directly compared his team with the 1985 Bears, which sported one of the best defenses in football history. He said that he hoped the Jets would finish the season the same way the Bears did -- as Super Bowl champs.

"I hope history repeats itself," he said. "The goal of the Chicago Bears was to win a Super Bowl. And that's our goal. Whether people like it or not, I really don't care. That's our goal. That's our mission going into this season.

"It was a huge loss," he said of the loss to New England. "There's no question about it. We got pummeled. We played terrible. But it's one game. Everything we talked about is still attainable. We have a quarter of our season left. So we're far from pressing the panic button."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5896064

Back
Top Bottom