Rice considered 49ers, Bucs, retirement, before Denver called | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rice considered 49ers, Bucs, retirement, before Denver called

painnotpleasure

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
Nothing big, I've just been interested since Rice wrote a letter to ALL 32 teams, what other teams we're interested in him before Denver expressed interest.
The opportunity was quite a while in coming. After the Seattle Seahawks released him in late February, weeks passed without a reasonable offer. The San Francisco 49ers expressed interest in having him aboard just long enough for him to ceremoniously retire in the colors he represented from 1985 through 2000.
Not surprised. Maybe he should have retired, but it's really not up for us or the media to decide... I'm hoping he has a good season with Denver and goes out the right way.

Here's the article. http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=4188

I wished that the 49ers would of signed him to a 1 year deal, so that he can finish his career with the team he started with.

PhinDude88 said:
I wished that the 49ers would of signed him to a 1 year deal, so that he can finish his career with the team he started with.
Yeah, I would have liked that too. The only problem is... San Francisco wasn't interested in him playing (which I find ridiculous since they have a below average WR core to put it nicely). Rice would have made Alex Smith looked good... But the only reason San Francisco was interested in him was to sign him and than retire his number (meaning he'd retire and not play a game this season). It's kind of pointless in my mind. I mean if he Rice was planning to retire this season, I think it would be a good idea... to sign him and than let him retire. But... yeah that's basically why Rice didn't go with the Niners, he still wants to play.

Back
Top Bottom