Rick Speilman | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rick Speilman

Originally posted by nick19991
It's obvious that he is not going to draft a QB. First, he tries to get Brunell then if Brunell goes to the Skins he will go after Ramsey and if he can't get Ramsey my guess is he will go after Henson or another FA QB, so now I see that there is no chance for Rivers in Miami without Marino. So out of those QBs I back up getting Ramsey for a third rounder

I too feel skittish about all of this somewhat. i would leave brunnell alone considering what he'd likely cost us and he is feeling the pressure of the "win now" as well as Wanny. I don't expect much of a difference from spielman in the personell dept because he IS wanny's boy to begin with. The only difference may be in the positions he'll address first, but it is still really anybody's guess. But the "win now" thing tells me something. If that was really a major issue with the FO, they should be concentrating big time for OL and FA to help us "win now" but by looking more [thus far] for FA QBs also tells me that they no longer have faith in Fiedler. If they did, we should be hearing things like restructuring or talking paycut with Fiedler OR Griese, for that matter. But since they're not and the buzz is about FA QBs, then I'm also afriad that drafting a Rivers could very well be a foregone conclusion perhaps. Even in the "win now" mode, drafting a QB in the 1st rnd would still make sense in that any other player we'd likely get with that pick more than likely would not help us out all that much as a rook anyway. IMO, the best players that could possibly make a bid enough impact as rooks would be OLman Robert Gallery and/or Shane Andrews and neither will be there for us at #20. So, even in the win now mode, it still makes sense to draft a Rivers at #20. If he's not there, then maybe Losman altho i think he has issues, but I think either a Michael Clayton or vernon carey would be better for that pick. Either of those could help us tremendously as rooks, maybe even as starters but the other 2 would be a safer bet as starters tho.
I doubt the Skins will be willing to deal ramsey at all, especially for only a 3rd rnd pick. but if so, it would be a steal in any sense. Even moving for henson is at least an indication that we're trying to address the QB situation so in the meantime, I'll still reserve a little hope that we still may draft Rivers somehow.

does anyone think there's a chance that the skins will get Ogun and give us Ramsey

If the Skins get Ogun, we should have their 35 pick. i could live with that.

Originally posted by Section126
Ramsey is worth our first round pick.............

The best case scenario IMO would be to Get Brunell for a small price (4th rd pick at most), and then draft Rivers or sign Henson.........It would set us up for the two years that it would take Rivers to get ready..............

i couldn't agree with that any more!! ;)

Originally posted by DeDolfan

If the Skins get Ogun, we should have their 35 pick. i could live with that.

if that happens then we could be given it right back for Ramsey

if that happens then we could be given it right back for Ramsey

You think Ramsey to be worthy of the #5 pick? If i had that pick, I'd have to think long and hard on it. It would at least have to be done on draft day and to be quite honest, with the #5 pick, I'd be looking AWFUL hard at either of the other 2 QBs while leaning towards gallery if he's still there. But at that point, it would all boil down to what we've aquired during FA and such. But i'm not sure about the 35 for Ramsey tho.

Take it easy on Spielman already. He is being smart. You don't want to show your hand too early. Hence the reason Griese hasn't been cut yet.

With Sage a free agent and the entire world aware of the Phins displeasure with Jay as our starter, Rick needs to hold as many cards as possible until it is time to show his hand. Otherwise everyone will be jumping on our intended signings and draft picks (a la Gandy and Brunell).

- Griese's bonus is due on March 1st (I think) so he will be gone soon.

- I read somewhere that they are renegotiating Jay's deal (don't want to pay him the April 1st bonus of $2 million), so they either plan on having him around to help a rookie...or plan to release him after the bonus date (which allows them to keep him around until after the draft).

- Sage might get an offer elsewhere...we don't know, but with all the talk of rookies and veterans would you want to come back if you were Sage? He has no shot at playing time let alone being the starter.

- There could be a ton of veteran QBs on the market on March 1st. Maybe nobody bites at Volek because of that.

- It won't matter who the QB is if the offensive line isn't improved. So, I would expect them to spend on the O-line and go cheap on the veteran QB and draft the best QB they have available to them at #20.

Just my two cents!

Originally posted by DeDolfan

You think Ramsey to be worthy of the #5 pick? If i had that pick, I'd have to think long and hard on it. It would at least have to be done on draft day and to be quite honest, with the #5 pick, I'd be looking AWFUL hard at either of the other 2 QBs while leaning towards gallery if he's still there. But at that point, it would all boil down to what we've aquired during FA and such. But i'm not sure about the 35 for Ramsey tho.

Ramsey is not work the #5 pick but he is worth the #35 pick

Well the only fly in the ointment is that we're not going to get Brunell for a small price, like a #4. We all would love that. Great value there but the price will be more like a #2 which we dont even have.

It is getting very interesting and it is looking like Jay and Brian will be packing their bags. Who will be the man? Nothing to do but stay tuned.

Originally posted by phinphanbill
Take it easy on Spielman already. He is being smart. You don't want to show your hand too early. Hence the reason Griese hasn't been cut yet.

With Sage a free agent and the entire world aware of the Phins displeasure with Jay as our starter, Rick needs to hold as many cards as possible until it is time to show his hand. Otherwise everyone will be jumping on our intended signings and draft picks (a la Gandy and Brunell).

- Griese's bonus is due on March 1st (I think) so he will be gone soon.

- I read somewhere that they are renegotiating Jay's deal (don't want to pay him the April 1st bonus of $2 million), so they either plan on having him around to help a rookie...or plan to release him after the bonus date (which allows them to keep him around until after the draft).

- Sage might get an offer elsewhere...we don't know, but with all the talk of rookies and veterans would you want to come back if you were Sage? He has no shot at playing time let alone being the starter.

- There could be a ton of veteran QBs on the market on March 1st. Maybe nobody bites at Volek because of that.

- It won't matter who the QB is if the offensive line isn't improved. So, I would expect them to spend on the O-line and go cheap on the veteran QB and draft the best QB they have available to them at #20.

Just my two cents!

Too early?? He doesn't have to be cut til b4 March when we have to be cap compliant. "Showing his hand" has nothing to do with it. The whole world knows he'll be cut.
There will no doubt be some extra QBs on the mkt in March. But i doubt it has anything to do with Volek. Nobody can sign him til then anyway until FA signing period starts. That's why nobody has "bitten" yet. ;)

Back
Top Bottom