Rick Spielman and Jeff Ireland's post-Dolphins success. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rick Spielman and Jeff Ireland's post-Dolphins success.

Jerrysanders

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-20171206-story.html

It’s probably fair to say being a general manager was too overwhelming for Ireland because of all the politics involved with that position. Now he’s back where he’s comfortable, evaluating college talent and engineering the team’s offseason strategy.

Both Spielman and Ireland’s had power struggles in Miami that damaged their working relationships. But they’ve clearly grown from those battles considering their second acts serve as proof there’s light at the end of the tunnel if you’re remain patient and stay true to who you are, and what you believe.

It doesn’t change what happen with the Dolphins. Neither needed to be in Miami a second longer than they were. But seeing them thrive somewhere else should provide us with an important lesson.

The educational component can’t be overlooked in any of these management positions, whether you’re a general manager like Chris Grier, or a head coach like Adam Gase.

It’s probably fair to say being a general manager was too overwhelming for Ireland because of all the politics involved with that position. Now he’s back where he’s comfortable, evaluating college talent and engineering the team’s offseason strategy.

I remember when Ireland passed on Earl Thomas, a future All Pro at a position of need, so he could trade down for Jared Odrick and Koa Misi. What an eye for talent that guy had. And who can forget 2013. But it was the politics that did him in.

Good times!

I remember thinking at the time that Speilman deserved more than one off season to show what he could do with this roster. As for jeff, not a great comparison, because he's not the GM down there.

I remember when Ireland passed on Earl Thomas, a future All Pro at a position of need, so he could trade down for Jared Odrick and Koa Misi. What an eye for talent that guy had. And who can forget 2013. But it was the politics that did him in.

Good times!
I remember thinking at the time that Speilman deserved more than one off season to show what he could do with this roster. As for jeff, not a great comparison, because he's not the GM down there.

Ireland was a general manager with the Ddolphins and he did horrible,;Ireland is now an assistant gm and college scouting director and has been very successful thats why the point about politics was made.

Ireland was a general manager with the Ddolphins and he did horrible,;Ireland is now an assistant gm and college scouting director and has been very successful thats why the point about politics was made.
Yes, and my point is that his talent evaluations were horrible while he was here. It wasn't just politics. Both his drafting and his free agent acquisitions doomed the team.

Yes, and my point is that his talent evaluations were horrible while he was here. It wasn't just politics. Both his drafting and his free agent acquisitions doomed the team.

Yea and now his talent evaluations have been great in New Orleans, why is that ? In Miami he was a GM-which entails a lot more than just talent evaluation, now he's a scouting director and he's been one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL; thats the point the author was making; IDK if thats the reason for his newfound success but I understand how the author came to that conclusion.

Spielman is the guy who they blew it on. He’s been nothing short of fantastic in Minnesota. Ireland is back to basics as a scout. He did well in that role in Dallas. He’s just not GM material. Perhaps in NO he’s learned how to be better. But I wouldn’t count on it, mainly because of his serious lack of people skills. Spielman has been fantastic and wish him all the best. Coughlin although never in Miami is another guy I’d have liked running things.

Spielman never had a fair shake here. Wannstedt called the shots and drove the team into the ground.
He was basically in charge for one year. The year Wannstedt quit. But he was responsible for the awful trade with Philly for their 3rd string QB AJ Feeley in which he gave up a 2nd round pick and also the panic move to get Gordon the 3rd string RB of the Rams when Ricky Williams quit which cost us a 3rd round pick.

His early years in Minnesota were bad too...it all changed when they hired Zimmer. He's had some 1st round stinkers though, Christian Ponder, Sharrif Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, Teddy Bridgewater, Laquon Treadwell, TJ Clemmings. His saving grace is that he's drafted some studs too. Stefon Diggs, Eric Kendricks (if only they were picking after us in that draft...2 spots ahead of us), Xavier Rhodes, Matt Kalil (now with the Panthers), Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Anthony Barr, Dalvin Cook and Pat Elfein.

Last edited:
Seems like every time Minnesota loses a key player, they've got another quality starting caliber player to fill in. Spielman has done an excellent job building a Super Bowl caliber defense and a competent offense.

They're gonna be a lot of fun to watch with Bridgewater, Dalvin Cook, and two 1,000 yard receivers next season. That plus the best defense in the NFL.....

He was basically in charge for one year. The year Wannstedt quit. But he was responsible for the awful trade with Philly for their 3rd string QB AJ Feeley in which he gave up a 2nd round pick and also the panic move to get Gordon the 3rd string RB of the Rams when Ricky Williams quit which cost us a 3rd round pick.

His early years in Minnesota were bad too...it all changed when they hired Zimmer. He's had some 1st round stinkers though, Christian Ponder, Sharrif Floyd, Cordarrelle Patterson, Teddy Bridgewater, Laquon Treadwell, TJ Clemmings. His saving grace is that he's drafted some studs too. Stefon Diggs, Eric Kendricks (if only they were picking after us in that draft...2 spots ahead of us), Xavier Rhodes, Matt Kalil (now with the Panthers), Harrison Smith, Kyle Rudolph, Anthony Barr, Dalvin Cook and Pat Elfein.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always was under the impression that Spielman was given a mandate by Wannstedt to get a QB and a replacement back...and that Spielman was backed into a corner.

Back
Top Bottom