Rick Spielman pissed about players not at combine...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rick Spielman pissed about players not at combine......

akfinfan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Dolphins | GM Speaks Out About Players Skipping Combine Workout - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:30:05 -0800

The Sun-Sentinel reports Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman is speaking out against marquee draft prospects who choose to avoid working out at the NFL scouting combine in favor of private sessions later this spring. "It's ridiculous," Spielman said. "To me, this is a job interview. You have all that time after the season to get prepared for this. If you're not prepared, I think it's a disgrace. ... Every guy we're interviewing, I'm writing down who their agent is and if they're working or not." Spielman said he wouldn't pass on a player in the draft because they choose not to work out at the combine, but noted it does play a factor in the overall evaluation process.

I'm not a fan of the combine, but obviously RickSpielman is.

I'm not a big fan of the combine either but for some players it does make a difference. If a player isn't going to work out than they should have to tell the teams a couple of weeks before so they can get players that acutally WILL work out and give them a shot to show what they can do.

Some people have criticized the Combine on here - and there are media types who go overboard with a player's combine stats (even some coaches - remember Mike Mamula?).

Nevertheless, the Combine is a critical "factor" (aside from playing ability). Often, for example, a player will look very good against college competition which is slower or weaker. But, if the guy is a WR, and he runs either a 4.35 or a 4.59, that will make a difference. And it's easier to compare players equally - than if they workout under their own conditions.

He shut up. Our Front office are a bunch of jokes. Don't piss off potential players.

I'm not a fan of the combine but if I was a GM I would be under extreme pressure an I would want to see all the players so I would know what to pick esspecially a WR's speed and catching abilities or Linemans strength. I guess the combine is good for the GM it may decrease the pressure.

Originally posted by Fisticuff
He shut up. Our Front office are a bunch of jokes. Don't piss off potential players.

Rick Speilman is their potential boss in this case. They better not piss HIM off. You can bet that he is not alone in his sentiments.

Anyway, how do you draw the conclusion that our front office is a "bunch of jokes" from this anyway?? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom