Ricky deal is GREAT for phins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky deal is GREAT for phins

Originally posted by St. Fan

No... your front office gave him a new contract because they knew RW wasn't gonna play until he got one. And I dont blame him. I would want to get paid too.

Ya umm that's why it was signed sealed and delivered 2 minutes before the deadline and wasn't even an issue. Boy you Saint fans have some issues.

Somebody Explain to me how this deal is different from the one w/Saints?

In fact, in some ways it's worse. Ricky actually has to pay back money if he ever decides to hold out. That clause wasn't in his contract with the Saints, as far as I know. The Dolphins do not pay Ricky any kind of "UP FRONT" money, PERIOD. Everything is tied into incentives. If he plays well he gets PAID. If Ricky gets hurt, like he did in New Orleans, the Dolphins don't owe him anything. That's the exact same contract he signed with the Saints.

Furthermore, the New Orleans Times Picayune is reporting that if Ricky gets 1,200 yards the Saints get a 2nd rounder from the Dolphins and 1,500 yards the Saints get 1st rounder.

Because it's all based on ONE season not multiple seasons......The way the New Orleans contract was set up, he had to have back to back to back GREAT seasons in order to reach the big money.......... incentives that he could no longer reach because of his injuries in seasons 1 and 2....so he was essentially playing for nothing after stumbling out of the gate in the beginning of his career and there wasn't any way he could increase his money with increased production, so where's the motivation?

And don't start with the "it was his stupidity" routine. The fans in New Orleans were ecstatic when he signed a contract based on incentives. Ricky was viewed as a stand up guy, who wasn't greedy.

At least in this case the incentives start kicking in at 750 yards rushing($25,000) to 1950 yards (2 mil)....so it's highly likely that he'll make those incentives even if he does miss a few games with injuries. THAT....is the motivation.

Furthermore, the New Orleans Times Picayune is reporting that if Ricky gets 1,200 yards the Saints get a 2nd rounder from the Dolphins and 1,500 yards the Saints get 1st rounder.

What's your point?.....this has been common knowledge since the trade went down.

Originally posted by inFINSible
What's your point?.....this has been common knowledge since the trade went down.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't know about the 2nd rounder for 1,200 yards.

Yeah....it's all been there since the beginning....you guys get a second rounder if he goes over 1200...

hey they should have done the trade the same way.....1500 for a first rounder
1200 for a second....
1000 for a third....
800 for a 4th....
and so on.....

That would have been interesting!

hey they should have done the tarde the same way.....1500 for a first rounder
1200 for a second....
1000 for a third....
800 for a 4th....
and so on.....

LOL! Interesting indeed! Thankfully we never would have agreed to that deal with his injury history. This way, AT WORST, we get a third this year. The way Ricky is playing so far, that 1st rounder is looking good! Keep it up and STAY HEALTHY, Rick!

As for Ricky's contract...the Saints were already talking about re-doing it the offseason he went home and hid in San Diego. After he pulled that baseball crap, we drafted Deuce and let him play on the deal he originally signed. Obviously we were hoping to trade him eventually but I think everyone here STILL held out hope he'd finally changed. Good faith is a two way street and Ricky had done NOTHING on his end to make anyone with the Saints comfortable that their faith in him wouldn't backfire on us.

As a rule, I personally feel you should honor your contract and play it out. The ONLY time I agree with restructuring deals is going into the last year of them to avoid outright free agency. If you signed a bad deal, that's your problem. Just like it's a team's problem when they give a guy a HUGE contract up front and the player fizzles. Does the team get to "renegotiate" and take money away when a player stinks? Of course not! Why should it be any different the other way around?

By the way..with the exception of the one liners like "no wonder the aint's suck...hahaha" this has been some decent discussion.

By the way...to those "you only have one playoff win..hahaha" people...do you consider the Steelers to be a successful organization? If so, do you know how long it took them to win their first playoff game?

Originally posted by Merman
Gee, pay for play, not a bad idea.

From what I understand that's all Ricky ever wanted. He made a mistake with his first agent and the Saints screwed him royally. With that kind of front office no wonder they have had very little success.

I'll admit....our front office in 99 was crap.......and our coaching staff was crap. But since 2000.....I think we've had one of the best front offices in the NFL. I think it will be interesting to see if a GM that is no longer with a team (Randy Mueller) can still win NFL exec. of the year honors. Lord knows, he's done a heck of a job with the saints.

Look at the position we're in.......going into next offseason, we have all of our starters signed up....and 17mil in cap space. Not to mention the fact that we could have 2 1st round picks and 2 3rd round picks in the 2003 draft. We have a very good team....and it's only going to get better in the coming years.

St Greg....that's awesome....what a sweet position to be in....You guys look like you have a hell of a future....

Why was Mueller let go?...I forget...

Originally posted by Saint Greg

I'll admit....our front office in 99 was crap.......and our coaching staff was crap. But since 2000.....I think we've had one of the best front offices in the NFL.

Maybe I should have said owner?? It seems the situation with Brooks came right down to game day.

Not to mention the fact that we could have 2 1st round picks We have a very good team....and it's only going to get better in the coming years.

If Ricky doesn't get injured there's no question a first round pick is due.
I thought you had a good team last year and was real surprised at the drop off. What happened ?? Wasn't Haslett coach of the year before?? Aslo there is no doubt the Saints look awesome this year.

Why was Mueller let go?...I forget...

Nobody really knows for sure.....there was a big press conference....Benson said that Mueller liked to do things without consulting him first....Mueller Denies it. Some rumors say it was the Dale Carter signing, others say he traded Ricky without consulting Benson. Personally, I don't think it matters as long as you put a good product on the field. Mueller has had a couple really good drafts....we have 4 rookies starting right now (Grant, Stallworth, Bentley, Craver)....and James Allen will probably start next year....Not to mention signing guys like Joe horn out of nowhere and Stealing Brooks for a 3rd round pick. I really believe Mueller is one of the top talent evaluators in the NFL.

I think the majority of the people in NO (myself included) think Benson is losing it. Letting Mueller go was a big mistake. He will be a GM next year....probably either in Atlanta or Seattle. Right now his brother Rick is the top talent evaluator for the Saints. Hopefully he will stay with us.....he's made a couple solid moves since Randy's departure.

Originally posted by Merman

Maybe I should have said owner?? It seems the situation with Brooks came right down to game day.

If Ricky doesn't get injured there's no question a first round pick is due.
I thought you had a good team last year and was real surprised at the drop off. What happened ?? Wasn't Haslett coach of the year before?? Aslo there is no doubt the Saints look awesome this year.

Tom Benson is a difficult subject.....he's getting old.....the man is losing it....but it's difficult to get too mad at the guy.....he is the only reason we still have football in New Orleans....he only bought the team to keep it from moving. for that, i will forever be grateful. If the saints lost every year......I'd survive....I don't know what i'd do if they ever left New Orleans.

I think most of us expected the Brooks thing to come down to the wire....our top priority was to sign our free agents, draft picks, and extend Haslett's contract. And of course Brooks' agent would take it as long as he could....trying to get as much as he could....we're just glad he's signed and playing well.

As for last season, that's anyone's guess....the word is there were serious lockeroom problems.....I believe there are a few people that didn't really want to be a part of this team. I met 4 players last year in Shreveport. Willie Roaf, Ricky Williams, La'roi Glover, and Albert Connell......none of them are with the saints this year. Maybe it's a coincidence that they hung out together and are all gone now....but it seems fishy to me.

...Why was Mueller let go?...I forget...

Atlanta's new owner, Arthur Blank, asked for permission to speak to Mueller about the GM's job in ATL. Benson initially told Blank, NO. After Mueller found out that Blank had called, Mueller asked Benson for permission to speak to Blank.

"BIG MISTAKE" by Mueller in my opinion. Benson took a chance and gave Mueller his big break, making Mueller the Saints GM. So when Mueller asked for permission to speak to ATL, Benson took that as a slap in the face. What was Mueller thinking, when he asked for permission to speak to ATL? Mueller was in the middle of negotiations for a contract extension with the Saints at the time. Was that some sort of negotiation ploy? "If you don't pay me BIG, I may leave for ATL."

It clearly P'O'd Benson. It sent a message to Benson, "Maybe Mueller doesn't want to be in New Orleans either?" It was a dumb move by a GM that was supposed to be a savvy personnel man. By firing Mueller, Benson, was sending a message, "If someone doesn't want to be in New Orleans, I don't want them in New Orleans." Basically, what goes for Ricky Williams goes for Randy Mueller too.

It also may be a dumb move by an egotistical owner.....I wouldn't look at it as some one doesn't WANT to be in New Orleans.....Why shouldn't the man have an opportunity to better his position or income?

It sounds more like over controling owner who didn't want to give up any leverage so that he could basically set his own price and when Mueller made his move,( asking to talk to Blank)Benson said "screw you, I run this show anyway. Hit the door."

JMO, of course.

Back
Top Bottom