3. 373 - - - - 1713
TOT. YARDS: 4213

Ricky:

-- Rushes - Yards
1. 248 - - - - 1000
2. 313 - - - - 1245
3. 383 - - - - 1853
TOT. YARDS: 4098

That's a TOTAL YARDS difference of 115 yards, folks over THREE YEARS. With BOTH OF THEM averaging the same no. of yrds per carry: 4.27.

Basically, Ricky has run for 38 yards per year less than Emmitt. That's like ONE long run per year short of Emmitt, ie that's nothing.

I guess my point is that their rushing stats are VERY COMPARABLE! :)

Whereas their RECEIVING stats are, really, only worth CONTRASTING. Here goes:

Emmitt:

-- Catches - Yards
1. 24 - - - - 228
2. 49 - - - - 258
3. 59 - - - - 335
TOT. YARDS: 821

Ricky:

-- Catches - Yards
1. 44 - - - - 409
2. 60 - - - - 511
3. 47 - - - - 363 (that's WITH holding him back for the first half of the year, ie not playing on 3rd downs)
TOT. YARDS: 1283

Considering that Emmitt's average per catch was only 6.22 while Ricky's is 8.5... my observation is that Ricky, SO FAR, is a better threat as a receiver. Still, if you look at Emmitt's stats throughout his career you'll see that he was never really used much as a receiver (being only about 5"9' might have had something to do with that - not sure).

Finally, for all those FIEDLER BASHERS out there. PLEASE... I mean PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE...

Look at Aikman's "amazing" career and then compare it (yes, I said compare - NOT contrast)... compare it to Fiedler's so far.

You know what? JAWS is a know nothing ***hole. Neither Fiedler or Griese NEED to "carry their team on their back" to win a Super Bowl (emphasis on word, T-E-A-M).

Besides, when's the last time Favre or Gannon or any other "great quarterback" carried their team to Super Bowl victory? Kurt Warner, you say? NOT! See 'Marshall Faulk'. Without HIM the Rams do NOT beat the Titans. End of story. You MIGHT add the Vermeil factor 'cause Martz is a total moron and megalomaniac.

Well, hope you enjoy the stats breakdown.

Here's hoping Ricky has a LOOOOOOONG and relatively injury-free career! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice comparison. and an interesting thing is that aikman had the trio. if we can get chambers in the mix seriously, then we should be the bomb no doubt. i will say that stats dont always paint the true picture of greatness and that aikman didnt throw many intercpetions and was always on the money.

ricky though, if he stays as healthy as he seems to be getting, could defenitely make a serious run at emmits records.

Those aren't Ricky's first 3 years, those are his last three years. He has played 4 seasons, as a rookie he had under 1000 yards.

Yeah he spent most of his rookie year battling little injuries here and there, and he did not do well at all.

Ricky got off to a slow start in his career. Emmitt is the NFL's all-time leading rusher. Lets not be so bold as to expect the same from Ricky. Ricky's downfall in the end could be his shoulders. Lets just hope they dont bring him down for another 10 years heh.

Originally posted by -81- McMichael
Emmitt:

-- Rushes - Yards
1. 241 - - - - 937
2. 365 - - - - 1563
3. 373 - - - - 1713
TOT. YARDS: 4213

Ricky:

-- Rushes - Yards
1. 248 - - - - 1000
2. 313 - - - - 1245
3. 383 - - - - 1853
TOT. YARDS: 4098

That's a TOTAL YARDS difference of 115 yards, folks over THREE YEARS. With BOTH OF THEM averaging the same no. of yrds per carry: 4.27.

Basically, Ricky has run for 38 yards per year less than Emmitt. That's like ONE long run per year short of Emmitt, ie that's nothing.

I guess my point is that their rushing stats are VERY COMPARABLE! :)

Whereas their RECEIVING stats are, really, only worth CONTRASTING. Here goes:

Emmitt:

-- Catches - Yards
1. 24 - - - - 228
2. 49 - - - - 258
3. 59 - - - - 335
TOT. YARDS: 821

Ricky:

-- Catches - Yards
1. 44 - - - - 409
2. 60 - - - - 511
3. 47 - - - - 363 (that's WITH holding him back for the first half of the year, ie not playing on 3rd downs)
TOT. YARDS: 1283

Considering that Emmitt's average per catch was only 6.22 while Ricky's is 8.5... my observation is that Ricky, SO FAR, is a better threat as a receiver. Still, if you look at Emmitt's stats throughout his career you'll see that he was never really used much as a receiver (being only about 5"9' might have had something to do with that - not sure).

Finally, for all those FIEDLER BASHERS out there. PLEASE... I mean PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE...

Look at Aikman's "amazing" career and then compare it (yes, I said compare - NOT contrast)... compare it to Fiedler's so far.

You know what? JAWS is a know nothing ***hole. Neither Fiedler or Griese NEED to "carry their team on their back" to win a Super Bowl (emphasis on word, T-E-A-M).

Besides, when's the last time Favre or Gannon or any other "great quarterback" carried their team to Super Bowl victory? Kurt Warner, you say? NOT! See 'Marshall Faulk'. Without HIM the Rams do NOT beat the Titans. End of story. You MIGHT add the Vermeil factor 'cause Martz is a total moron and megalomaniac.

Well, hope you enjoy the stats breakdown.

Here's hoping Ricky has a LOOOOOOONG and relatively injury-free career! :)

I think you missed RW's first year where he had @ 800 yds. But your point is valid. RW could potentially become the all-time leading rusher. However, you could probably say that about several other young rushers too. (Tomlinson, Alexander, Henry, etc.) The all-time rusher stat as exemplified by Emmit is not about great individual years but rather about durability and consistency. If RW or any of the other backs I mentioned can put together 14-16 years of performance where they avg over 100 yds then the record will fall.

Think about Terrell Davis...he was statistically the best his first five years.

Emmitt Smith has avoided injury in his career. And with free agency, the surrounding cast doesn't stay together for long.

Emmitt wasn't even the best running back of his era (that designation belongs to Barry Sanders)... I think it's rediculous that the Cowboys allowed him to continue running the ball when he obviously was no longer the best RB on the TEAM.

It's one thing if you break a records while still playing at the top of your game... but holding on too long and hurting your teams chances at success just to get a personal record seems rediculous to me.

Ricky has a ton of potential but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here as RB's, unfortunately, have proven time and again that it is a rare thing to see a shooting star like Ricky stay the course and continue producing at the kind of level we now see. Sadly, these guys take more of a pounding than any other player on the field and most, not some, but most, get cut down while they still have a lot of juice left in them.

Even a bunch of little injuries can totally derail the career of a potentially great back. Fortunately, Ricky is built like a brick house and he runs very low to the ground so he has some serious advantages that could allow him to transcend the plain of excellence into the realm of greatness.

There ae many ruinng backs who can break Payton's record but they couldnt because of injuries. Bo Jackson come to my mind first ... All we can is pray that Williams will not get hurt. regarding running backs, what happened to Okoye and Word for K.C.?

1) E.Dickerson
83 - 1808 yds 4.6 avg 18 TD
84 - 2105 yds 5.6 avg 14 TD
85 - 1234 yds 4.2 avg 12 TD
86 - 1821 yds 4.5 avg 11 TD
-----------------------------------------
..........6968 yds 4.7 avg 55 TD

2) T.Davis
95 - 1117 yds 4.7 avg 7 TD
96 - 1538 yds 4.5 avg 13 TD
97 - 1750 yds 4.7 avg 15 TD
98 - 2008 yds 5.1 avg 21TD
.........6413 yds 4.7 avg 56 TD

3) Barry Sanders
89 - 1470 yds 5.2 avg 14 TD
90 - 1304 yds 5.1 avg 13 TD
91 - 1548 yds 4.5 avg 16 TD
92 - 1352 yds 4.3 avg 9 TD
..........5674 yds 4.7 avg 52 TD

** Bo Jackson
87 - 554 yds 6.8 avg 4 TD
88 - 580 yds 4.3 avg 3 TD
89 - 950 yds 5.5 avg 4 TD
90 - 698 yds 5.6 avg 5 TD
........2782 yds 5.4 avg 16 TD

Henry had a better first 2 seasons than Ricky.... wo he will be the rushing king! YEAH!!!!!!!!

I love this place. I am learning so much. ;) :D

Whats with this Emmitt comparison, he is the most overrated running back of all time....in his prime he was above average but not amazing, look at this guy's offensive line, Nate Pothead Newton, Erik Williams just to name a few 300+ O Lineman. He also had Troy Aikman as QB who was talented and Michael Irvin, so opposing teams couldnt stack the line....look at barry sanders, his team was garbage, including his O Line, and he still managed to make people miss and make huge plays....

Original take by ultimateFINFAN
Whats with this Emmitt comparison, he is the most overrated running back of all time....in his prime he was above average but not amazing, look at this guy's offensive line, Nate Pothead Newton, Erik Williams just to name a few 300+ O Lineman. He also had Troy Aikman as QB who was talented and Michael Irvin, so opposing teams couldnt stack the line....look at barry sanders, his team was garbage, including his O Line, and he still managed to make people miss and make huge plays....

Repeated for emphasis...

2 most over-rated players ... I mean RB's... in NFL History

1) Emmitt Smith
................ has averaged 4.2 yards or less for 7 consecutive seasons and counting
................ has averaged 4.3 yards of less for 10 out of 13 seasons and counting
................ playing behind one of the greatest offensive lines in NFL history, he managed to average over 5 yards a carry only once.

2) Marcus Allen
................ only once in his BULL **** HOF career did he eclipse 1200 yards
................ in his prime, he played backup to part - time RB Bo Jackson
................ has averaged 4.3 yards or less for 12 out of 16 seasons in NFL

SoCalRaider, your reply to my post look like I am an idiot for naming Bo Jackson with your stats... I want to reply to that.

Bo Jackson played 4 years for Raiders starting 87 to 90. Raiders was using 2 running backs system, alterating Bo Jackson and Marcus Allen.

Bo Jackson rushed ball 81 times in 87' , 136 times in 88' , 173 times in 89' , 125 times in 90' with an avg. of 5.4 yards per rush.

Marcus Allen rushed 200 times in 87' , 223 times in 88' , 69 times in 89' , 179 times in 90'.

Suppose Marcus Allen was not in Raiders and Bo Jackson got all his rushes with Avg. of 5.4, that will be totalling to 1,184 rushes for 6,373.6 yards. A little more than 1,500 yards per year.

That is what I mean by he have a potiential to break rushing record but he didnt due to injury and mainly Raiders' system.

Here is the links to the stats:

http://www.geocities.com/madnessmike/bo_jackson.htm

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/mainpage.cfm?cont_id=160068

Back
Top Bottom