Ricky is not coming out... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky is not coming out...

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Williams will serve as the third-down back for an entire season rather than just the final six games as in 2002.

The Dolphins used Robert Edwards as their third-down back for the first 10 games last season to ensure Williams would be fresh down the stretch. When used as an every-down back, Williams proved he could handle the role, rushing for 180-plus yards rushing in three of six games and catching 16 passes.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ay04,0,2084905.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Its amazing to think that he got 1853 yards last year and wasn't even a 3 down back for most of the season...

Just for fun here are some numbers:

Ricky Williams averaged 91.3 Rushing YPG through the first 10 games... :sceptic: Remember, he was only a 2 down back at the time...

However, as a 3 down back through the last 6 games he averaged a whopping 156.6 Rushing YPG... :eek: A difference of 65.3 YARDS PER GAME...
Meaning that theoretically, had he been a 3 down back all season, he could've gotten a little more than 2500 yards... (approx 2506) :cool2:

Not saying that he wouldv'e, but the numbers certainly suggest he could've...

Last edited by a moderator:
:evil: Man, those are nice stats. I like your theory. Much unlike Bills theory that if NO got 2 1st round picks for Ricky, that they could get the same for Travis Henry. :rolleyes:

The stats "potential" on Ricky are nice, but I like the way we used him the 1st few games. I think part of the reason he may have done so well in the last 6 is not only playing time, but the fact that he was not bruised and battered - he was still a relatively fresh back.

Given his running style, he could wear down toward the end of the year. I'd rather have him at his best the last 5 games than the 1st 5. The reason we did poorly was not Ricky - it was the defensive breakdown and the lack of a passing attack. I would be more than happy with the same stats this year - adding maybe 10-15 more catches and throws in his direction. Especially late in the year.

I don't like the idea of him never coming out. Not only will that wear him down more but it also increases the chance for an injury. Besides, both Minor and Edwards can handle the job nicely. Will they even get to touch the ball? Did they tell edwards this before or after he resigned. I love Ricky but I want him to be healthy in the playoffs more than anything.

But where did those numbers get ya?:D

Originally posted by BeatCrazy2
I don't like the idea of him never coming out. Not only will that wear him down more but it also increases the chance for an injury. Besides, both Minor and Edwards can handle the job nicely. Will they even get to touch the ball? Did they tell edwards this before or after he resigned. I love Ricky but I want him to be healthy in the playoffs more than anything.

This doesn't mean he will never come out of the game.. he will still need breathers and take a break like he was near the end of the year. But he won't be coming out on a regular basis for 3rd down and the 2 min drill like he was early in the year. and I do like this cause I feel that is when we need our best playmakers on the field, not the backups when you need a first down or are trying to drive the field to score in less then 2 mins.

pardon me for extrapolating some numbers for fun... It pretty freaking amazing to consider the pace he was setting the last 6 games...

And its not like he played EVERY SINGLE 3rd down during those last 6 games as some people are making it sound... he got spelled when he needed a breather...

Also consider the flow of the game issue. You keep a back in for only 2 downs, he doesn't get in to the flow of the game nearly as quick... Ricky last year said as much, and that he would RATHER be in there all on all 3 downs...

Its said over and over, you put the ball in the hands of the most talented people on the team... Kinda hard to do on a critical 3rd down when your most talented player is warming the bench because you don't want him to twist his ankle....

One last time, 91 yds per game versus 156...

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I liked a fresh Ricky coming down the to the end..I hope they don't increase his playing time too much in the first 8 games..I want him strong at the end...

Also consider the flow of the game issue. You keep a back in for only 2 downs, he doesn't get in to the flow of the game nearly as quick... Ricky last year said as much, and that he would RATHER be in there all on all 3 downs...

Good point ..... but also think of the effort the backup will give when they get in. They run with something to prove. And I think our backups are quality RB's that could start on some teams. Either way , I'm not worried , Norv will find the right combination I'm sure. Just keep up the good work with the running game!

Ricky will still get breathers, but, like it has been stated:

You have to get your playmakers the ball. I think that if we give Ricky the opportunity, he could be an elite pass catcher out of the backfield. Imagine Ricky getting the ball 5 times a game where he is already past the line, where he can pick up a head of steam! It would be brutal.

I totally agree that we need to give Ricky a breather more often if he is gonna play every down in all 16 games. We can start by sitting him again the Texans - we won't need him :D :jk:, but certainly he s/b given a breather whenever we have comfortable lead. I would also love to see us establish the passing game early in most games and let RW run wild in the 4th quarter....

I want to see Ricky on third down, but you know he won't play on every down, because he will get some breaks during the game. Minor is good for 3-5 carries a game for a change of pace, and is in my mind one of the better backup RBs in this league.

Back
Top Bottom