Ricky: Lack of Focus? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky: Lack of Focus?

Bad Lieutenant

Starter
Reaction score
I remember reading Ricky Williams' comments on his web site in the off season. It caused slight alarm then, but now it seems it may be the problem.

Ricky was writing about how he had no focus going into the season. He talked about how he was getting confused on the tests the players are given by the coaches. He said now that he is better, over his anti-social disorder, that he has been going out like crazy, holding functions and benefits that he never would have done before taking his medication.

Last week he had some huge Halloween Party, now I am reading how he is going to some function today to do something or other.

He did not do any of this last year, his best year.

Now that he is going out all the time, he admitted he has lost some of his focus, which before was always on football, and as a result he is having his worst year.

I know the O-Line is trouble, but even when Ricky has holes to run through he gets tripped up so easily. At least two or three time in the Indy game he had huge holes to run through, but got tackled incredibly easy by guys on their backs.

I am very happy that Ricky is over his disorder, but I think it has been to the detriment of the team. The coaches have to tell him to stop spending so much time doing all this community nonsense during the season. He simply is not the same looking back, and I think his new found social graces are the cause.

Bottom line is, Ricky admitted he didn't have the same focus this off season as opposed to last year. And now we are really seeing it.

What should be done?

He doest have the burst out of the back field this year.

A few things.

Maybe the Carries vs Bills hurt something.

Lack of a O-Line

Lack of Focus

I think its all 3

Not sure if anybody noticed but Ricky had knocked off Wade Smith on the greise fumble. That can never happen and the toughest situation for the left tackle. It's hard enough without getting bumped by your own player. Ricky needs to focus- your right.

Don't try and put the blame on Ricky for that crushing blow by Freeney on Griese. It's all on Wade Smith this week baby. The O-line was exposed as 2nd rate, and it will cost this team dearly.

I can't dis Ricky for straightening out his personal issues. Even if all this has some effect on his focus, we have to realize that he is a person, and the positives of him dealing with his issues outweigh the negatives.

Originally posted by Jensencrash11
Not sure if anybody noticed but Ricky had knocked off Wade Smith on the greise fumble. That can never happen and the toughest situation for the left tackle. It's hard enough without getting bumped by your own player. Ricky needs to focus- your right.

If you read my post on the OL analysis and if you watched a tape of the game you would know this is not accurate. Smith was already burned on the play. Freeney was totally past him - Smith had an arm on him at the most when he was hit by Ricky. Do you think Smith would have "caught up" with the 4.38 Freeney had RW not hit him? Ha!

The fact is, the design of the play was bad. It was an inside play fake that then required RW to get back outside to help the LT. But, there was no way to do that. Smith should have played for a strong outside rush - and let RW pick up Freeney on the inside if he cut back. It was just a bad execution by Smith and a bad design by Turner.

Another one of these threads.

Jesus. .

Ricky doesn't have the burst out of the backfield he did last year? Ricky doesn't have more then 3 inches for a hole to run through compared to last year (when they actually did make holes..as you saw with the Minor run).

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Another one of these threads.

Jesus. .

Ricky doesn't have the burst out of the backfield he did last year? Ricky doesn't have more then 3 inches for a hole to run through compared to last year (when they actually did make holes..as you saw with the Minor run).

cmon, we all know the real deal. its fiedlers fault.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

If you read my post on the OL analysis and if you watched a tape of the game you would know this is not accurate. Smith was already burned on the play. Freeney was totally past him - Smith had an arm on him at the most when he was hit by Ricky. Do you think Smith would have "caught up" with the 4.38 Freeney had RW not hit him? Ha!

The fact is, the design of the play was bad. It was an inside play fake that then required RW to get back outside to help the LT. But, there was no way to do that. Smith should have played for a strong outside rush - and let RW pick up Freeney on the inside if he cut back. It was just a bad execution by Smith and a bad design by Turner.

I think Wade Smith could have at least gotten one last push on Freeney if it hadn't been for Ricky running into him. I don't have tape or TIVO and that's just from memory so, if you already discussed this in the other thread, I apologize.

who the hell are we? hindsight is 20/20, it's sure easy to pick out the problems when one is sitting on their couch. Try to do it on the field, on the sidelines calling the plays, cutting by big bad LBs that want your head ripped off and see how well you do. I know I sure as heck couldn't do it. I think I'll permanently keep my signature from one of my favorite Dolphins player, #81.
Community nonsense?? Give me a freaking break. Every NFL player from starter to benchwarmer should utilize their talents and give to the community, shoot I know I should. Hmmm spending time giving back to the community or spending time running an NFL drug cartel. Decisions, decisions. How do we know he didn't do more last year during the 1,800 plus run and he didn't openly discuss it as much??? I'm sorry, I just think it's a bit much for one to criticize someone getting over something that can be quite dehabilitating that isn't seen as much of as a problem by a majority of people out there. The man wouldn't even leave his house week in and week out, and now since he's actually free from that and can actually enjoy things many take for granted, we should slight him, because he's not entertaining us w/ 200+ yards each week. Get over yourselves peeps.

^^^^^

What kind of a fan are you? Some people look at the TEAM, and want the TEAM to improve, while you seem to only care about the individual improving. You seem to not care about the team getting hurt by this.

I really can't stand so called "football fans" who always say the game comes second. THE GAME COMES FIRST, THERE IS ONLY THE GAME! When I see Ricky getting tackled for a loss more in the first eight games this year than all of last year (even when Lucas was in), I have to question him. What, he led the league in rushing so he is beyond criticism? The man said himself that he did not have the same focus entering this season as last. You think I am making it up?

All I know is, I've seen some big holes the past couple of weeks, not many, but some, and Ricky gets tackled every time. And not big hits, someone slapping at his foot or something. Blame the O-line all you want, but they were not very good last year either, or the year before. Lamar Smith's last season they stunk run blocking right? Then the same exact unit gets a star and all of a sudden they were considered good run blockers. Fact is, a running back makes the O-line, not the other way around.

Ricky is simply not the same player from last year.

I am amazed that some "fans" would rather have Ricky dress as a pirate and throw a Halloween party than have him in the film room studying plays. You'd rather he be comfortable at a party than winning on the field? He has all off season to do this community nonsense. The football season is short. Is a three month commitment that big of a deal?

I don't begrudge RW getting over his sickness, I applaud it, but I do get frustrated that he does not know how to handle his newfound social life. But I guess I am just jealous of him. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Bad Lieutenant
^^^^^

I really can't stand so called "football fans" who always say the game comes second. THE GAME COMES FIRST, THERE IS ONLY THE GAME! When I see Ricky getting tackled for a loss more in the first eight games this year than all of last year (even when Lucas was in), I have to question him. What, he led the league in rushing so he is beyond criticism? The man said himself that he did not have the same focus entering this season as last. You think I am making it up?

All I know is, I've seen some big holes the past couple of weeks, not many, but some, and Ricky gets tackled every time. And not big hits, someone slapping at his foot or something. Blame the O-line all you want, but they were not very good last year either, or the year before. Lamar Smith's last season they stunk run blocking right? Then the same exact unit gets a star and all of a sudden they were considered good run blockers. Fact is, a running back makes the O-line, not the other way around.

I am amazed that some "fans" would rather have Ricky dress as a pirate and throw a Halloween party than have him in the film room studying plays. You'd rather he be comfortable at a party than winning on the field? He has all off season to do this community nonsense. The football season is short. Is a three month commitment that big of a deal?

I don't begrudge RW getting over his sickness, I applaud it, but I do get frustrated that he does not know how to handle his newfound social life. But I guess I am just jealous of him. :rolleyes:

I agree these guys get paid a lot of money, god knows we pay a lot of money to watch and support them, he and others can bloody well focus on football for 1/3rd of the year and lose focus when they are off.

Originally posted by Bad Lieutenant
^^^^^

What kind of a fan are you? Some people look at the TEAM, and want the TEAM to improve, while you seem to only care about the individual improving. You seem to not care about the team getting hurt by this.

See my signature, if not in this post, scroll up. When did we get personal assistants to follow him around each and every minute and know what he is doing at all times of the day and report to FinHeaven?
Kinda weird when someone gets keyed on when they become the rushing leader. How many sacks has Jason Taylor had since last year?? Maybe opposing coaches are saying, hey let's focus on that guy, he's kinda dangerous, complex stuff here. How strong has our passing game been; when it's not too impressive then why not focus all on the all star RB. Hasn't that been the mantra of all opposing teams??? These aren't complex theories. I'm just some dude on the other end of a computer that loves football and doesn't have all of the answers out there, I just give opinions of things, and some seem to confuse their own opinions with facts. Also I don't see everything in aqua and orange, I wish #34 could bust through those lineman like he did get 100 plus games every game, not skip around and look for that 50 yard run each down, just get 15-20 here and there, as a fan I get frustrated when he doesn't rack up the triple digits. Hmm, maybe it's something real stupid like appeasing overbearing fans by stutter stepping waiting for the big 56 yard run each time, instead of running how he likes to run that got him the 1,800 plus season, which would then make ALL fans happy, even the disrespectfull overbearing ones. Oh and thanks for questioning me and how much of a fan I am, real mature :lol: Can I please have another? :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by finfan54

cmon, we all know the real deal. its fiedlers fault.

wasn't it like that just about 2 weeks ago?

We couldn't run because of Jay Fiedler....now its the OL, the coaches AND even Ricky himself.

If it wouldn't be so sad it would be funny as hell.

Back
Top Bottom