Ricky Needs To Stay On Field At All Times. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Needs To Stay On Field At All Times.

Denny

GENERAL MANAGER
Reaction score
I am sorry to say this, But I am tired of the Dolphin managment playing up to personalities. Wanndstat has historically put a guy in the game or left a guy in the game because it is the right thing to do according to him. I am tired of it. He is catering to the Robert Edwards feel good story. It doesnt take a genius to see that RICKY is the complete package. Now i dont mind for Ricky to get a breather. But, to sit here and patronige me and tell me he is a better back out the backfield is a joke. I know this is a minor problem but damn on third and two we take out RICKY. THAT MEANS PASS. We havent had an all purpose back in MIAMI forever and if not ever, yet we still use our backs like we have MARK HIGGS in for 2 downs then Aaron CRAVER on third down. Watch the EDGE or PRiest or Duece or GArner or Taylor, THEY DONT COME OUT. Did you see Ricky juke the hell out the guy on the screen. I know this is a little complaint but damn.

DENNY

DENNY....

I wrote a post about this when I was frustrated with the way that RICKY was taken out of the game....against the CHIEFS....when we basically "telegraphed" to the Chiefs that we were all but abandoning our running game. When we are behind in games.......I could not believe that RICKY should be done for the day....under any circumstances...and I stated so.
However.....you have to understand....that RICKY just has to come out of the game...at some time. The Dolphins do not want to wear this guy out....and that is perfectly understandable. We need his legs down the stretch....you just have to let him rest up during the course of the game. I have no problem of RICKY coming out of the game in lieu of ROBERT EDWARDS.....who in my opinion has done a fantastic job in his third down role....I mean how can you make an argument on the way ROBERT EDWARDS has played....this guy has made key first downs all season...and has blocked the blitzing defender....very effectively. Edwards is just another third down back in the league......

Your point of seeing PRIEST HOLMES and FAULK in there....like 60 minute men....is valid.....but in reality....they are in the real, real, elite of players. You cannot compare the recieving skills of RICKY in comparison with the overall recieving skills of either a FAULK or HOLMES....RICKY is pretty darn good....but not in their category. They may be the only backs who really are in there all of the time...maybe E. JAMES also.

Again.....My point is to let RICKY have his rest.....let him come out for ROBERT EDWARDS on passing third downs......that is not my issue.

I just can't believe that NORV and WANNY would put there best offensive weapon on the bench.....and I mean on a permanent basis....once the decision is made to completely abandon the runnning game. Ricky should never come out of a game for the sole purpose to just say... "we are behind...we are done with the run"....sit down Ricky...and well see you next week". That is what I have a problem with.

Denny.... Lets let EDWARDS keep his job....forget about the good feelings stories....if the guy was not getting the job done....beileve me....he would not be playing. And besides...if it was not EDWARDS....it would have been TRAVIS MINOR.....regardless.

I think the best way to sum it all up......You have to give RICKY some time to rest up....he will even tell you that.....but lets just say that we hope RICKY is never to be exiled to the sidelines.....on a more permanent type of basis....regardless of the dire game situations. That to me...is the real problem about RICKY and whether or not he should be coming out of a game....

Its an interesting debate.....but EDWARDS should have nothing to do with this at all..... hes Ok Denny....hes helping us....not hurting us.

Heres to the Denny's Lumberjack
Breakfasts for $4.99....

DCH

Is there a better restaurant to go to then DENNY's between the
hours of 2AM and 6am? Think about that..

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Denny's is good for late night but Lesters Diner's in Ft. Lauderdale take the late night prize from them.

CASH, you need to post more often.

You make some valid points. But you contradict yourself. On one hand you say that R. Edwards needs to be in there on passing downs. Then on the other hand you say that even when we abandon the running game, and go to completely passing downs like KC, RICKY should be in there. SHOULD HE BE in there on passing downs or not. Although I agree that R. Edwards has done a good job playing the role, THAT does not mean that RICKY could do a better job. Oronde Gadsen is doing a fine job at playign reciever, but if you have a better reciever, you replace OG. I agree that RICKY needs rest, but dont take him out every two downs. Take him out for a series in each half. Curtis Martin never comes out. DUECE never comes out. HENRY DOESNT COME OUT. GEORGE DOESNT COme out. HELL EMMIT DIDNT COME OUT. It creates a threat of him being in there becuz he can run at any time. I feel we run ricky through a wall on first and second down. It is on third and 5 that you want a defense to respect run and pass. RE is not better. We are doing a diservice to oursleves if the reason RE is playing on third downs is for a breather. The great ones like PRIEST get to run on passing downs where there are lanes. It is unfair not to get this BEAST in open space more often. KEEP your best players on the field. RICKY is our best offense player and he needs to be on thew field in critical third down situations. Ricky has never come out in his entire career even at TEXAS. We have made him a two down player.

LETS RUN IT DAMM IT!

Originally posted by DIRTYCASHHOLDIN
DENNY....

I wrote a post about this when I was frustrated with the way that RICKY was taken out of the game....against the CHIEFS....when we basically "telegraphed" to the Chiefs that we were all but abandoning our running game. When we are behind in games.......I could not believe that RICKY should be done for the day....under any circumstances...and I stated so.
However.....you have to understand....that RICKY just has to come out of the game...at some time. The Dolphins do not want to wear this guy out....and that is perfectly understandable. We need his legs down the stretch....you just have to let him rest up during the course of the game. I have no problem of RICKY coming out of the game in lieu of ROBERT EDWARDS.....who in my opinion has done a fantastic job in his third down role....I mean how can you make an argument on the way ROBERT EDWARDS has played....this guy has made key first downs all season...and has blocked the blitzing defender....very effectively. Edwards is just another third down back in the league......

Your point of seeing PRIEST HOLMES and FAULK in there....like 60 minute men....is valid.....but in reality....they are in the real, real, elite of players. You cannot compare the recieving skills of RICKY in comparison with the overall recieving skills of either a FAULK or HOLMES....RICKY is pretty darn good....but not in their category. They may be the only backs who really are in there all of the time...maybe E. JAMES also.

Again.....My point is to let RICKY have his rest.....let him come out for ROBERT EDWARDS on passing third downs......that is not my issue.

I just can't believe that NORV and WANNY would put there best offensive weapon on the bench.....and I mean on a permanent basis....once the decision is made to completely abandon the runnning game. Ricky should never come out of a game for the sole purpose to just say... "we are behind...we are done with the run"....sit down Ricky...and well see you next week". That is what I have a problem with.

Denny.... Lets let EDWARDS keep his job....forget about the good feelings stories....if the guy was not getting the job done....beileve me....he would not be playing. And besides...if it was not EDWARDS....it would have been TRAVIS MINOR.....regardless.

I think the best way to sum it all up......You have to give RICKY some time to rest up....he will even tell you that.....but lets just say that we hope RICKY is never to be exiled to the sidelines.....on a more permanent type of basis....regardless of the dire game situations. That to me...is the real problem about RICKY and whether or not he should be coming out of a game....

Its an interesting debate.....but EDWARDS should have nothing to do with this at all..... hes Ok Denny....hes helping us....not hurting us.

Heres to the Denny's Lumberjack
Breakfasts for $4.99....

DCH

I AGREE;WHATS RAY LUCAS THINKING OF THROWS THOSE STUPID INT.... PASSES WHILE WERE PAYING SO MUCH $$$ TO RBS & FB WHILE THEY ARE RIDING THE BENCH ?.THEY SHOULD OF LET RICKY WILLIAMS RUN IT ALL THE TIME OR ROBERT EDWARDS HELPNG OUT?WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR GOOD SCREEN PLAYS THAT WE HAVE SEEN IN YHE PAST 2 GAMES TO RICKY?

WHY? WHY? WHY? IS IT NURV?LOSING HIS NERVE?

:goof: :goof: :sleep:

ITS AN INTERESTING DEBATE...

I think you made a good argument.....I really do. You gave evidence....like Perry MASOn would...on defending your client....RICKY WILLIAMS.

You say that we have made RICKY into a first and second down back. Well...he still is in there for many third downs....obviously many times when it is third and 1 or third and 2.

But your right.....anytime that Edwards is in there.....you don't need to ask Mr. Know It ALL (from Underdog cartoons) what type of plays or tendencies the DOlphins will be expected to run. They realize that RICKY is out of the game....and play towards the pass.....thats why there is so much trickery...direct snaps...shovel passes...etc. form NORV. He is trying to keep defenses confused....but the longer that EDWARDS actually plays in there.....that really benefits the instincts of the players...knowing that playing the run....is basically a non-factor.

Its a tough call for WANNY....he saw what LAMAR SMITH did against the COLTS last year....only to have absolutely nothing left for the next playoff game...he was spent...out of gas.

The bottom line is this DENNY.....Nothing is going to change.....this is what it is with the mindset of WANNY and what he is doing........He is without question monitoring RICKY's carries....just like a pitching coach in baseball charts pitch counts.

However.....unlike Baseball.....Wanny still can put his guy back into the game.... My theory is that RICKY should just never be exiled to the sidelines....permanantly. But that is what will happen....and unfortunately there is nothing anyone is going to do about it. Once the decision is made by the coaches to abandon the running game....RICKY is OUT...and permanantly.....and ROBERT EDWARDS is IN.....and permanantly....as well.

Thats the reality...DENNY.
DCH

While I am here..... DENNY.... please give me a SUPERBIRD.....with some home grits and buttered toast..

If not....I may have to go to SHONEYS...

Dolphan0025???

what is that supposed to mean????? CASH, your right, it is not going to change. I see it simply as this. You have a guy in Robert Edwards who has a presence and WANNY doesnt want to disappoint him. It was the same crap like R. LUCAS getting to play in every game last year. JOKE

well, on the bright side, at least giving Edwards some carries gives him some experience on the field and every carry gives him more confidence in his knee holding up.

This is a big thing if Ricky ever (god forbid) goes down with injuries. We want a RB that has been in there and has his instincts and vision at 100% right away.

Will the dolphins start trying to run the ball outside more??? Why cant we give Ricky a break on a first and second down, and run minor to the outside? Or let edwards hit the wall on first or second down...Personally i like minor better than edwards, but oh well. Obviously the coaches have a game plan for the year and are sticking to it.

The coaches have stated that they are simply trying to save Ricky for the stretch.. They have told Ricky down the stretch there may be games he does not come off the field.. in any situation.. they all know he is the best player.. they have said he can do everything RE does and that is not why they are bringing him out.. They want him fresh when the need him.. when the game and/or season is on the line... I am starting to notice him even now not coming out as much.. The two minute drill in the last game RW was still in there... where earlier in the year it was RE in the 2 minute drill... So I don't think we have much to worry about here. I like the idea of keeping Ricky fresh.. we will need him as the weather gets colder...
The one time I really disagreed with it was the KC game.. DCH and I agree here... He should not have been sit down for good..
But I did read somewhere that Norv admitted that he made a mistake, mostly because of the sucess that other teams were having against KC in the passing game..
Hopefully we will not see that agian.. ever...
and I do believe as the season gets shorter and shorter Ricky will play more and more...

Ricky is a POWER back, he should not be in the game on 3rd down if we have more than 5 to make up. Keeping him out also keeps him fresh and Edwards has done a good job.

Ricky Needs To Stay On Field At All Times.

I agree... Run Ricky Run!

clear.gif

My question is why don't we try to use Ricky on more sweeps and out patterns? Its obvious that he can catch the ball. And even if they don't pass to him, just the fact that he's out there will draw quite a few LB's to his presence.

Back
Top Bottom