Ricky/Ronnie/Defense/WHO CARES!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky/Ronnie/Defense/WHO CARES!!!!

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
5,442
Reaction score
1,695
We still aren't going anywhere at all if our O-line doesn't make a complete 180 from last year. I'm still pretty shocked we haven't done much at all to fix this problem, but who knows I guess, maybe Houck will turn them all into Superman. Oh, and BTW, if the O-line does step up.........We will be one of the best teams in the NFL......A stable of RB's, and this time GOOD RB's(Kay J is nice too people), a Rediculously good D-line, with rediculous Depth it all equals success, If Houck works his magic I will become the biggest O-line coach fan in history!!!!
 

TARHEEL38

☠️ Banned ☠️
Joined
Apr 17, 2005
Messages
308
Reaction score
0
Our OL was not nearly as bad as you guys make it out to be. At the end of last year it was playing at a higher level than it has in two years. Our OL will be fine. Last year SD went 12-4 with 3 rookie OLineman, none picked before 3 round. Now we have the same OL coach they had.
If Gus can play the way he has when called on in Vikings land we could see .500 or better this year. Maybe even a shot at a wild card.
I feel there will be those wishing for Bates back by mid season though. Our defense will not be able to carry us as it was in the past, until they get used to the new system. The difference will be they will not break down late in the season, and will not be so predictable. I like the direction we are heading, just don't expect too much too soon.
 

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
3,023
Reaction score
73
Last Year:
1) The line audible system was a disaster;
2) The O-line coaching was terrible;
3) We had no one to compete at LT;
4) The offensive scheme was as bad as any in the NFL in years; it was a complete disaster. In fact, the entire offensive coaching staff was in complete disarray.

This Year:
1) We have a much better offensive scheme with a genuine O-coordinator.
2) We have a great O-line coach who will improve each player as well as the entire line system.
3) We've added a starting RT (McDougle), a competitive OG (Damion Cook) and a very good LT prospect.
4) There will be strong competition at C, LT, RG.
5) The O-line is still VERY young!


This OL may not be great next year, but it will be healthier, more competitive, more talented, better coached with a better offensive scheme. It certainly has the players to become very good. I think you have to let the coaches coach them and see how they develop.

When you look at the offensive front 5 compared to the defensive front 7, we are much older on the defensive front. We needed a youthful influx.
 

LarryFinFan

Left So Fla, never the Fins...
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
7,694
Reaction score
2
Location
NC
outlawd2u said:
We still aren't going anywhere at all if our O-line doesn't make a complete 180 from last year. I'm still pretty shocked we haven't done much at all to fix this problem, but who knows I guess, maybe Houck will turn them all into Superman. Oh, and BTW, if the O-line does step up.........We will be one of the best teams in the NFL......A stable of RB's, and this time GOOD RB's(Kay J is nice too people), a Rediculously good D-line, with rediculous Depth it all equals success, If Houck works his magic I will become the biggest O-line coach fan in history!!!!

You must have forgotten about the biggest move Saban made to correct our OL problems...Hudson Houck. The OL scheme we used last year was completely off base. The OL was blocking for one system while the play was designed for another. The whole offensive scheme was screwed up last year because a) Turner left, b) the scheme was developed around RW, who also left at the last minute. c) we had a makeshift scheme that was put in by several different O coaches with different ideas as to how it should be run and d) no direction from the top (Wanny). This won't happen this year.

We have decent talent on the OL, and if they are put into a scheme that can work and works in conjunction with the passing and running games, we'll be much better. And finally, a great RB makes even a porous OL look better (just look at our OL for the two years RW was running wild...inferior talent, poor scheme, great RB).

We have things in place to be a much better offensive team...now, that plan has to be executed by the players and we'll have to wait and see how well they adapt, but I have confidence in Saban, Linehan and Houck that we won't have a repeat of last years performances...
 

Butterfrog 2.0

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
5,442
Reaction score
1,695
I think some of you misinterpreted my message here............. I'm not saying we WILL be horrible becaue of our offensive line, I'm saying we WILL be horrible IF our O-line doesn't vastly improve from last year, and I'm not saying it won't!!! I DO think Houck will make a difference, and I DO think Mcdougle is a big pickup, all I'm saying is if it doesn't work out right on the O-line then we're still in big trouble...........Obviously I hope that it does!
 

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
3,679
Reaction score
927
Location
Montreal
TARHEEL38 said:
If Gus can play the way he has when called on in Vikings land we could see .500 or better this year. Maybe even a shot at a wild card.
.

What makes you think Gus will be the starter?:roflmao:
 

finmann

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2005
Messages
5,426
Reaction score
1,900
LarryFinFan said:
You must have forgotten about the biggest move Saban made to correct our OL problems...Hudson Houck. The OL scheme we used last year was completely off base. The OL was blocking for one system while the play was designed for another. The whole offensive scheme was screwed up last year because a) Turner left, b) the scheme was developed around RW, who also left at the last minute. c) we had a makeshift scheme that was put in by several different O coaches with different ideas as to how it should be run and d) no direction from the top (Wanny). This won't happen this year.

We have decent talent on the OL, and if they are put into a scheme that can work and works in conjunction with the passing and running games, we'll be much better. And finally, a great RB makes even a porous OL look better (just look at our OL for the two years RW was running wild...inferior talent, poor scheme, great RB).

We have things in place to be a much better offensive team...now, that plan has to be executed by the players and we'll have to wait and see how well they adapt, but I have confidence in Saban, Linehan and Houck that we won't have a repeat of last years performances...

This post really made me open my eyes to the significance of RW leaving. You never realise how much this guy really meant to the team and how the offence went through him. By him leaving, it through the whole system into a tail spin. Saying that, I really wonder if we have been a little hard on Wanny. Now don't crucify me here, all I'm saying is could another coach have done THAT much better?
 

Dubfire

Deep Dish Fan
Joined
Dec 22, 2004
Messages
4,595
Reaction score
0
Location
West Palm Beach
outlawd2u said:
We still aren't going anywhere at all if our O-line doesn't make a complete 180 from last year. I'm still pretty shocked we haven't done much at all to fix this problem, but who knows I guess, maybe Houck will turn them all into Superman. Oh, and BTW, if the O-line does step up.........We will be one of the best teams in the NFL......A stable of RB's, and this time GOOD RB's(Kay J is nice too people), a Rediculously good D-line, with rediculous Depth it all equals success, If Houck works his magic I will become the biggest O-line coach fan in history!!!!

If you watched the games last year you saw that the line was playing at a MUCH higher level when the season ended. They were already showing signs of improvement. Which is why AJ played much better those last 4 games. The 2 are a direct correlation of one another. The line under that current scheme was doomed to fail. They didn't even have packages installed to pick up various blitz schemes. It was a joke and Wise should pay the Dolphins back for the money he stole with his salary. Only reason he was on the staff is because he was Porntsache's buddy.
 
Top Bottom