Ricky Williams Comparison | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Williams Comparison

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Just some interesting numbers I dug up comparing Ricky Williams vs other backs in the league.

Team Dependency. Ricky Williams placed 6th in the league last year in how often a RB was used in a teams total number of snaps. Williams was used in 41% of snaps and gained 33.6% of New Orleans yards from scrimmage.

The 5 ahead were:

#1) Curtis Martin (43.5% & 38.1%)
#2) Stephen Davis (42.6% & 36.9%)
#3) La Tomlinson (42% & 30.8%)
#4) Ahman Green (41.7% & 36.2%)
#5) Priest Holmes (41.2% & 38.2%)

While at first glance this may look like Ricky's % of total team yards isn't in line with the other RB's he was 6th overall in % of teams total yards also.

Roger Craig # aka Marshal Faulk #. This is a formula that measures a RB's versatility in rushing/recieving. Roger Craig # = (2 X Rush Yds X Rec Yds) / (Rush Yds + Rec Yds)

Ricky placed #4 in the league last season with a 725 score which means he's a well balanced threat running or recieving. Here are those that were higher:

#1) Marshall Faulk with a score of 925
#2) Priest Holmes with a score of 880
#3) Ahman Green with a score of 883

Backs that fell behind Ricky include: Charlie Garner (6th), Curtis Martin (11th), Corey Dillon (16th), Stephen Davis (19th)

Inside the 10. Ricky Williams tied for 10th here at 43.8% either going for 1st down or touchdown compared to total # of attempts. 10th may seem like a low # but he only had 16 chances inside the 10 and it seems to be a league trend that there isn't many attempts to go to your RB inside the 10 with tomlinson having the most at 37 (but didn't even make the top 20 since he scored less then 30%). Plus the backs that did score ahead of Ricky were the likes of (picking the best of the bunch):

Curtis Martin #1 (but only had 9 chances inside the 10)
Zack Crockett at #2
Tyrone Wheatley/Mike Alstott tied for #3
Tony Richardson, Ron Dayne, Jamel White, Kevan Barlow rounding out the list.

So what does this all tell me. Ricky Williams is an elite back despite his tendency to fumble. He could easily be one of the best 3 backs in football if he can correct his fumbling problems and catch the ball a bit better (he dropped 14.8% of passes thrown his way which is a bit high for a RB).

He found it on ESPN's insider. The whole thing, broken down exactly as he has it paraphrased here :rolleyes: is right there on the ESPN NFL main page under the heading "Ultimate RB analysis: Who would you want?" I read this stuff about two weeks ago when it was origionally posted on the ESPN site. I'll cut and paste the entire article if you guys want it but I'm warning you, it's pretty long.

This is why it's always good to site your sources ladies and gents because someone else just might have read the same thing you did.:nono:

Originally posted by Expo88
This is why it's always good to site your sources ladies and gents because someone else just might have read the same thing you did.:nono:

I normally would have expo but I wasn't sure on the rules around here about posting stuff from pay sites :p Hence why I didn't post it day one :p

No prob, there are just more than a couple of jokers who have put up information as their own in the past, when the info came from another online source. Thanks for the clarification. :D

BTW, that "Roger Craig" calculation they came up with just seemed to be infinitely more complicated then it had to be. The "Roger Craig" tag on there didn't help with the confusion either, it just made it all that much more difficult to figure out what the heck they were talking about. :confused:

MVP is right about RWs inside the 10 #s. He will definitly get more touches near the goaline than he did in N.O. (which I attribute to the Curse of the Aints mis management) Imagine Chambers and Gadsen as the wides in a 2 TE set with RW in the backfield and Lucas (or Jay) at QB. Ohhhh the options!!!!!

Originally posted by phins054
MVP is right about RWs inside the 10 #s. He will definitly get more touches near the goaline than he did in N.O. (which I attribute to the Curse of the Aints mis management) Imagine Chambers and Gadsen as the wides in a 2 TE set with RW in the backfield and Lucas (or Jay) at QB. Ohhhh the options!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that with the departure of Gaily we've seen the last of the Ray Lucas at the goal line debacle. How many times did that work anyway? Once, twice? However many times it was it wasn't worth it to throw the offense off that way. I'm looking forward to Jay at the goal line tossing darts to OG on the fade, Chambers on the crossing route, or RW up the middle. Either that or he can just tuck it away and stuff it down the opponents thoats just like he did against the Fay-duhs last year. That was my favorite play in my favorite game laste year. :D :D

We are going to see the "real" Ricky this season. He will be great..................

:monkey: the doubters about Ricky's performance in 02-03

Back
Top Bottom