Rob Peter to pay Paul? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rob Peter to pay Paul?

phunwin

The name's Bond...James Bond.
Reaction score
I floated this on the main board, but thought I'd bring it up here for some, you know, intelligent discussion.

David Bowens has a cap number of $2.8 million, about $1.9M of which is salary and the rest is bonuses of which I do not know the origin. Given that Bowens is, at best, a backup at DE and a special teamer this year, and given the creeping salary issue with Ricky Williams, does anyone else think it would be worth our while to cut D-Bow and meet Williams in the middle, say for $2M?

BTW, I'd note that I'm still not sure bringing Williams back is the right move, but it appears to be a fait accompli. So given that, and given that pragmatism wins out over principle 99 times out of 100 in my book, I think there needs to be an understanding on that contract. The Phins can't pay him $3.7 million, and Williams might well cancel his comeback if he has to play for the minimum. But the Phins can/will pay him more than anyone else is likely to.

phunwin said:
I floated this on the main board, but thought I'd bring it up here for some, you know, intelligent discussion.

David Bowens has a cap number of $2.8 million, about $1.9M of which is salary and the rest is bonuses of which I do not know the origin. Given that Bowens is, at best, a backup at DE and a special teamer this year, and given the creeping salary issue with Ricky Williams, does anyone else think it would be worth our while to cut D-Bow and meet Williams in the middle, say for $2M?

BTW, I'd note that I'm still not sure bringing Williams back is the right move, but it appears to be a fait accompli. So given that, and given that pragmatism wins out over principle 99 times out of 100 in my book, I think there needs to be an understanding on that contract. The Phins can't pay him $3.7 million, and Williams might well cancel his comeback if he has to play for the minimum. But the Phins can/will pay him more than anyone else is likely to.

Good point; Williams CANNOT play for the minimum, guys - he has a $300k-yr commitment to JUST ONE of his illegitimate children - no way he can play for about $700k.

I don't know if Bowen is the one to economize, but it might be a logical default choice, although he played well last year.

Tough decisions ahead, guys.

NaboCane said:
Williams CANNOT play for the minimum, guys - he has a $300k-yr commitment to JUST ONE of his illegitimate children...

None of Ricky's children are illegitimate; they're perfectly fine human beings.:)

If you want to assign a stigmatizing label to anyone in such a situation, it's better assigned to Ricky or the mother. But a broad brush or stereotype fails there also, IMO, cuz holding the legal standing of "married" is a very, very limited measure of "legitimate" parenting, and plenty of couples who aren't legally married are excellent parents.

[Sorry about veering off topic, but I raise these points whenever and wherever I see the word "illegitimate" assigned to an innocent child. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread:)...]

NaboCane said:
Good point; Williams CANNOT play for the minimum, guys - he has a $300k-yr commitment to JUST ONE of his illegitimate children - no way he can play for about $700k.

I don't know if Bowen is the one to economize, but it might be a logical default choice, although he played well last year.

Tough decisions ahead, guys.

I would like to see Ricky Williams find another job that will pay him 500K per year.
I don't know the law, but I would imagine that money allocated towards child support is contingent upon how much one is currently making. This would most certainly not be an isolated child support case, and I highly doubt that a law would be put in place that would inevitably place an individual into abject poverty.

ABrownLamp said:
I would like to see Ricky Williams find another job that will pay him 500K per year.
I don't know the law, but I would imagine that money allocated towards child support is contingent upon how much one is currently making. This would most certainly not be an isolated child support case, and I highly doubt that a law would be put in place that would inevitably place an individual into abject poverty.

Well, it's all relative, isn't it? After all, you and I would be entitled to that or more - but only when you or I generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue from our jerseys, likenesses, and performance.

When it comes to child support and child custody cases, courts will almost always go for the "best interests of the child". That means things like giving him to the parent who will do the best for the child, after a divorce, and setting child support payments accordingly. While child support is set according to the income of the father, I think there are also some considerations of earning potential. (I won't swear to that, though, because family law is not my specialty, nor even a particular area of interest.)

Moreover, because the court is concerned first and foremost with the best interests of the child (and not necessarily the best interests of Ricky Williams), you usually won't see them bend over backwards to modify a payment downward unless there's plenty of evidence that he can't pay. But $300K out of a $540K contract? Yeah, they'll probably knock that down a fair piece if he comes back to court and says "Judge, the Dolphins held me in breach and the arbitrator agreed, so my income is no longer the $3.7 million you based the award on."

The moral of this story: Unstable superstar athletes shouldn't have unprotected sex with strippers.

phunwin said:

I would imagine that his salary will be the minimum, with encentives. That is the only way I want Ricky on this team. He has to come here, help the team he destroyed by taking the pay cut, and then earn his money and respect by performing. And a side note to all this. If the encentive is, say, 1,000 all purpose yards for $1M bonus, then we should let him get 999, and then sit his azz on the bench! :buttkick:

NLude33 said:
I would imagine that his salary will be the minimum, with encentives. That is the only way I want Ricky on this team. He has to come here, help the team he destroyed by taking the pay cut, and then earn his money and respect by performing.

I was pretty groovy with you up to here.

NLude33 said:
And a side note to all this. If the encentive is, say, 1,000 all purpose yards for $1M bonus, then we should let him get 999, and then sit his azz on the bench! :buttkick:

And then you lost me.

Back
Top Bottom