Rodgers To Saints? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rodgers To Saints?

DENVERDOLFAN

Starter
Reaction score
Among the players that are expected to be let go are Denver quarterback Brian Griese, 49ers receiver J.J. Stokes and Dolphins linebacker Derrick Rodgers, although the Saints and Dolphins are discussing a trade for Rodgers.

This according to our buddy Pete Prisco.

why would the saints trade for a guy that will be released in a week ? maybe they feel someone will overpay for him....:eek:

He was just kidding and it was only a dream type of comment.

Hmm, well I must say it'd be nice to get something in return for Rodgers other than cap space.

At this point all we want or really need after June 1st is Brian Griese, so if we can unload Rodgers before June 1st by trade and still swing Griese, I think we should do it cuz truth be told next year I'm not particularly excited about the prospect of taking a look at a list of our cap charges for the year and finding an entry that says "Derrick Rodgers...left over June 1st charge $600k" or whatever it is. I'd rather have nothing left over next year, and have a late round pick to boot.

As long as we still get Griese, I'm down. I mean, its not like the coaches are gonna sit there and say "Hey, I know by doing this we're seriously jeopardizing our ability to sign Brian Griese after June 1st, but I think if we can get a 7th round pick for Derrick Rodgers I think we should jump on it!"

Dont wanna open a whole new can of worms here, but remember the trade of first round busts we did a while ago?

RB John Avery our 1st round bust, for Marcus Nash the 1st round bust from Denver. Of course neither worked out, but does anyone else think we could pull something similar off with Jamar Fletcher?

Anyone got any ideas for 1st rounders who were drafted in the same draft as Fletcher who have not lived up to their billing to the extent that Fletcher has failed to live up to? I can't think of anyone offhand. Like maybe Sylvester Morris even though he was a 2000 draft pick or maybe Freddie Mitchell. Or if we go for a DB for DB trade we could go right back to the Broncos and see if they'll give us Willie Middlebrooks (though I doubt he's even as good as Jamar)...or we could try and hit up the Rams for Ryan Pickett who has been disappointing enough for them to go with both Damione Lewis and Jimmy Kennedy.

I dunno its a fun thought. If you try and offer anyone be realistic. Don't be like "Why don't we trade for Kendrell Bell" or "Hey why don't we go Jamar Fletcher for Fred Smoot straight up" I mean come on man. Fletcher to date is probably known around the league as a disappointment so if yer gonna suggest someone it had better be a guy who's also known as kind of disappointing. Heck...at this point I'd call Santana Moss fair game lol!

D Rodgers for the most part has been a bust .... But you have to remember that it is a very good possibility that Rodgers just cannot produce in the Dolphins system ....

I am not saying that if the Dolphins traded Rodgers to the Saints (or any other team) that he would become "Pro Bowl" material .. But a change in position philosophy or schemes can do wonders for a pro football players career !! :D Marino1983

Originally posted by ckparrothead
but does anyone else think we could pull something similar off with Jamar Fletcher?

You never have enough good corners. Look at the raiders last year. They had depth with Woodson,James,Buchanon. They lost Woodson then Buchanon to injuries. so their 4th CB was sent in action.

I'll say keep Fletcher, you never know. If we loose Madison or Surtain, Buckley will start and Fletcher will be the 3rd corner (like last year).

I'd be happy with a 4 or 5 round pick for Rodgers but I doubt it'll happen.

Back
Top Bottom