Ron Wolf really likes Henson, Cleveland to Make Jump at Drew | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ron Wolf really likes Henson, Cleveland to Make Jump at Drew

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Its an ESPN Insider article so I can't link it and I can't copy it all.

I was going to start a thread about this a little while ago when I heard the news about Kelly Holcombe.

The thing is Holcombe just had surgery on his shoulder that will sideline him for 4 to 6 months. This has a dramatic effect on the contract restructuring negotiations with Tim Couch. Butch Davis and Carmen Policy were hoping to significantly lower Couch's 9 million dollar cap figure this year, and specifically they were hoping to use Holcombe as leverage to get him to take a pay cut.

Now Holcombe is sidelined, so they don't have as much leverage but they are still adamant about the paycut.

And now that Ron Wolf is working for the Browns, they might go after Henson. So says the article,

"Ron Wolf is a big fan of Henson and his ability. He feels that Henson has the talent to be more than just a good quarterback, but one of the greats."

There are a lot of Brett Favre comparisons being thrown around, Casserly says that not since Favre has there been a guy this talented available like this in trade...he says Wolf pulled the trigger on that trade, and he sees a lot of parallels with this one.

I think its possible that this "one team" that has so far agreed to the Texans' demands for Henson, may in fact be the Browns. And if we wanted Wolf to consult for us to help choose our next QB, I think this has just tipped his hand a bit maybe.

People keep forgetting that Henson has the final say in this. Does anybody think he wants to go to Clevland?

Hard to say what Henson really wants at this point. Cleveland would seem like a difficult move for him.

Unless, he gets the perfect situation (Miami?) then I always thought that the best move for him would be to go back in the draft. He gets better money and he could fall far enough to land with a decent team. Well, at least as decent as Cleveland.

I don't really see why he WOULDN'T want to go to Cleveland. I mean its a classic football town.

How come every time a team jumps into the fray for Henson someone jumps in with the argument "Yeah but do you really think Henson would want to go to __________"

Miami isn't the end-all be-all of places to play football. Every other place in the NFL has its pluses.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I don't really see why he WOULDN'T want to go to Cleveland. I mean its a classic football town.

How come every time a team jumps into the fray for Henson someone jumps in with the argument "Yeah but do you really think Henson would want to go to __________"

Miami isn't the end-all be-all of places to play football. Every other place in the NFL has its pluses.

I think the criticism of Cleveland is not that it is a bad football town. I'm sure we could all agree its one of the best, if you like cold weather, which Henson might.

But, the Cleveland franchise has had a messy couple of years with questionable personel moves and some real questions about how Davis has handled the teams especially the QBs.

Look, I have no idea how Henson is evaluating the teams, but I don't think it is unfair to ask, since we are speculating, what he might or might not want in a franchise.

Personally, I would think any QB would love to play for Miami with our D and Ricky behind him. But, that's my bias, I know.

Nobody likes cold weather. Some people just tolerate it more than others so it doesn't effect them as much.

PhinKev there's a big difference between "speculating what he might or might not want in a franchise."

And chiming in with "Does anybody think he wants to go to Clevland?"

Someone always chimes in with a statement like that. I've heard the same thing said about "Barfalo" and Pittsburgh.

PhinKev there's a big difference between "speculating what he might or might not want in a franchise."

And chiming in with "Does anybody think he wants to go to Clevland?"

Someone always chimes in with a statement like that. I've heard the same thing said about "Barfalo" and Pittsburgh.

That's fair. But, I think its forgivable if some of us might imagine Miami as a better destination.

It is, isn't it? ;)

First of all don't put words in my mouth. I never said Miami was the be all end all of football places. I made the statement about Buffalo and Clevland because it's worth mentioning.

Buffalo = has a clear cut number 1, no matter how fans want to spin it Bledsoe is the starter.

Clevland = Tim Couch and Kelly Holcombe. Now one or both of these guys could be released / traded but, as of right now, they're both on the team.

I never said anything about Pittsburgh or Green Bay because I would think that any quarterback would be interested in those teams and cities a lot more than Buffalo and Clevland.

I haven't been one to disparage other teams, but if I were picking a destination Buffalo would be near the bottom of my list.

I wouldn't think Cleveland would be a desirable location from Henson's standpoint for these reasons:

1) He would be competing against Couch and Holcombe (both reasonably good QBs)
2) Davis handled the QBs horribly last year (Couch is the starter, no wait Holcome is, what was I thinkig I meant Couch).

Wolf was going to use Holcombe as the incentive to drive down Couch's price. Now that Holcombe is hurt, he might be using Henson as that incentive. His interest may be less in Henson and more in lowering Couch's price tag.

I would like to say this: Cleveland would be a very desirable location for most football players. It is a classic football town with some of the greatest, most supportive fans in the league.

I am the biggest Dolphins fan living in Cleveland but I must say Cleveland is a great football town. The city really loves it's team and yeah it gets cold around here but you get used to it and it's fun watching teams from warm weather citys come play here in late Dec ember. I wouldn't worry to much about Henson coming to Cleveland. The last thing they need is another QB mess on their hands like last season. They have to many other holes to fill than worrying about their QB. Also keep Dennis Northcutt's name in the back of your mind as he is a FA and want's out of Cleveland. He's a solid number 2 WR and he is great as a kickoff/punt returner. He would look good in Aqua next season.

I live in Ohio and read or skim many of the state's sports pages. There is no indication that Ron Wolf is going to have that kind of influence here and they are all reporting current negotiations with Couch now that Holcombe is a maybe for 2004. I think it a smokescreen by someone or a figment of the writer's imagination.

Back
Top Bottom