Rosen Highlight Film | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosen Highlight Film

JBinSD

Active Roster
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I’m sorry if this was already posted.

I admittedly hadn’t looked up ANY film on Rosen — until today. Looked at a lot of UCLA footage and then found the link below from his rookie season.

Yes I realize this is just a bunch of highlights without the lowlights, but what I see here:

- Good pocket presence, night and day from Tannehill

- Ball jumps from his hand and seems capable of making any and every throw

- Touch and anticipation on point

- Looks the part

- Better athlete than I realized, definitely not a statue back there even though he is primarily a pocket passer

I am officially excited about this move. It seemed low risk high reward and I expected us to make our QB splash next year, but this kid looks like he can PLAY and 2019 is going to be fun to watch! Most QB flops don’t put these sorts of highlights on tape...

Can you guys imagine after screwing up for two decades our new staff came in immediately and may have hit a home run?! We deserve nice things.

I think we see what we want to see. I'm not saying Rosen will or won't be better than Tannehill, but if you're judging Rosen by his highlight tape I would say if you gauged both players that way you would walk away equally impressed.

If you're going to say Rosen has better pocket awareness you would also Tannehill makes better reads, gets the ball out faster, stands in the pocket and shows a better arm. Now of course Tannehill should look better in some areas considering his experience, but some of us need to give Rosen an honest chance and others might need to pump the breaks before putting unrealistic expectations on the kid. At this point he could develop into the Dolphins answer at qb, a decent back up or the next AJ Feeley.

Last edited:

I think we see what we want to see. I'm not saying Rosen will or won't be better than Tannehill, but if you're judging Rosen by his highlight tape I would say if you gauged both players that way you would walk away equally impressed.

If you're going to say Rosen has better pocket awareness you would also Tannehill makes netter reads, gets the ball out faster, stands in the pocket and shows a better arm. Now of course Tannehill should look better in some areas considering his experience, but some of us need to give Rosen an honest chance and others might need to pump the breaks before putting unrealistic expectations on the kid. At this point he could develop into the Dolphins answer at qb, a decent back up or the next AJ Feeley.

You could also say that at Rosen's current age of 22 years 3 months Ryan Tannehill was just about ready to make his first start as a collegiate quarterback.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm content that we finally made a wise investment in a player who has been viewed as well above his same-age peers virtually every step of the way. That method has a chance to pay off, unlike some other strategies that I have a term for.

If you're going to say Rosen has better pocket awareness you would also Tannehill makes better reads, gets the ball out faster, stands in the pocket and shows a better arm. Now of course Tannehill should look better in some areas considering his experience, but some of us need to give Rosen an honest chance and others might need to pump the breaks before putting unrealistic expectations on the kid. At this point he could develop into the Dolphins answer at qb, a decent back up or the next AJ Feeley.

To summon my best WV impersonation (I know you’re here lurking somewhere. You can’t quit us ;)) Get Real. There’s only two areas where Tannehill outshines Rosen:
  1. Athleticism
  2. Being a boring robot who never says anything interesting.

Do you guys think after Tannehill's rookie season we could of traded him for a second like Josh?

Tannehill's highlight tape in that vacuum is actually fairly promising - most natural he ever looked at the position (albeit a little slow to pull the trigger when not in play action).

I don't know if Rosen will be successful in Miami, but I will say that mentally he appears to be more self-aware, insightful, and possibly just a faster processor than Tannehill.

But but but pre-med! No.

Last year it looked like he developed a hitch in his throw, which could have come from indecisiveness. He seems to have awareness, and a quick release. He should channel his inner Dan Marino and just sling it when he sees an opening. The windows are much smaller in the NFL. If you hesitate, it's too late.

To summon my best WV impersonation (I know you’re here lurking somewhere. You can’t quit us ;)) Get Real. There’s only two areas where Tannehill outshines Rosen:
  1. Athleticism
  2. Being a boring robot who never says anything interesting.
I’d also add that Tannehill had a stronger arm than Rosen.

You could also say that at Rosen's current age of 22 years 3 months Ryan Tannehill was just about ready to make his first start as a collegiate quarterback.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm content that we finally made a wise investment in a player who has been viewed as well above his same-age peers virtually every step of the way. That method has a chance to pay off, unlike some other strategies that I have a term for.

Rosen was not only a top 10 pick when he came out...he was a 3 year starter in college.

Going back to high school, he was the top QB recruit coming out... 5-star stud and the number 2 overall prospect in the country. I know some don't put much stock into recruiting, but guys who are elite and stay elite...there is a reason.

Last year it looked like he developed a hitch in his throw, which could have come from indecisiveness. He seems to have awareness, and a quick release. He should channel his inner Dan Marino and just sling it when he sees an opening. The windows are much smaller in the NFL. If you hesitate, it's too late.

I love how Josh called Dan Mr. Marino. Nice kiss the ring type moment.

Two things that I like by watching those. First, he's moving well in the pocket which Tannehill never did well.
But what I really liked was that Rosen was making plays with his legs on the fly. Tannehill could run but mostly when that was the called play. He was never really good at improvising on the fly. When things broke down it was a sack. I see Rosen takes off when thing break down and yes, I'm aware he was sacked 45 times but that O-line was horrible. Time will tell but there seems to be something there.

Well the kid now has one year experience under his belt and should have a hefty size chip on his shoulder. If he's got any kind of QB super powers well now would be the perfect time to put the world on notice.

It’s a highlight reel. Every QB has one, and they all look awesome. There really is little to pick out from it. You have to look at game film to get the truth, and everyone acknowledges his rookie season game film is really bad.

It is a fresh start for him in Miami, but he will have to earn his way to franchise status. The Rosen hype machine is a little too over the top right now considering his rookie season.

Do you guys think after Tannehill's rookie season we could of traded him for a second like Josh?

Tannehill's highlight tape in that vacuum is actually fairly promising - most natural he ever looked at the position (albeit a little slow to pull the trigger when not in play action).

I agree. A forgotten strength of his was his ability to throw on the run and his arm strength actually gave him a fairly quick release.

Back
Top Bottom