Roster Triage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Roster Triage

fansinceGWilson

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Let's assume for the moment Miami IS in 'tank' mode (I say "assume" because there are different flavors of 'tank'). we know, realistically, there will be a significant number of players return and we know the coaches/FO will be open to jettisoning/upgrading quite a few. we also know there are some open questions. What I would like is opinions on which starters should be kept, dumped, or undecided. I know, BTW, there are MANY variables. To me, from memory, while traveling

Keep
Tunsil
Fitz,
Drake
X (assuming a reasonable contract)
Wilson
Taylor
Godchaux
Kilgore or Swanson
Jones or TJM
I presume all '17/'18 rookies remain

Undecided
Sitton
James
Amendola
KA
Quinn
Hayes
I'm skipping guys like Butler and Brendel since they don't start

I know a number of those will depend on if a reasonable contract can be found, how much of a real 'tank' is planned, coach evaluations and others, so this isn't cast in stone. I'm more after opinions of the prioritization of player/talent/contracts

I would say that everything is on the table except Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. Trade or cut.

Im assuming anyone on a rookie contract is staying, although some COULD be trade bait.

Everyone else is fair game to be cut (or traded)

I could see the team allowing Cam Wake to stay if he wants to.

Isn’t it quite a refreshing thought that we could start Charles Harris in almost every defensive snap next season? I mean I’m not saying he’ll play well or prove to be worth his high draft pick but nice all the same that we’ll be able to start him and have a proper look at his productivity.

I suppose Baker, Godchaux, Gesicki and Taylor may fit into that category as well.

It’s almost a cathartic feeling. A relief. We’ve been so scared of losing for a decade as we’d billed ourselves as a contender. There’s no guilt or conscience now. Let’s just find out which young players can be an NFL starter. And those that can’t, move on from.

Kilgore, McDonald and all your undecided get jettisoned.

Isn’t it quite a refreshing thought that we could start Charles Harris in almost every defensive snap next season? I mean I’m not saying he’ll play well or prove to be worth his high draft pick but nice all the same that we’ll be able to start him and have a proper look at his productivity.

I suppose Baker, Godchaux, Gesicki and Taylor may fit into that category as well.

It’s almost a cathartic feeling. A relief. We’ve been so scared of losing for a decade as we’d billed ourselves as a contender. There’s no guilt or conscience now. Let’s just find out which young players can be an NFL starter. And those that can’t, move on from.
Harris should have been a late second or third rounder when he came out. He is not good against the run and,IMHO, he is not that effective as a situational pass rusher. I would get rid of that contract. Trade if you can, but do what is necessary.

I am as down on Harris as anybody here, but keep in mind the Pats succeed in scheming guys into making plays. That whole "have everything stand up and you don't know what's coming" defense may get Harris some sacks.

One of BB's patented moves is to pick up high draft picks who have been jettisoned. He obviously thinks that these guys had some level of high ability/potential at one time that he obviously values.

Danny Shelton, Kyle Van Noy, Shane McClellin, Eric Rowe, Josh Gordon, Patrick Chung (the second time) are examples. There's too many to think it's not a BB theory.

The guy keeps doing well despite not drafting high. They've had, what, one or two top ten picks (Jared Mayo) over two decades?

Kilgore, McDonald and all your undecided get jettisoned.

Harris should have been a late second or third rounder when he came out. He is not good against the run and,IMHO, he is not that effective as a situational pass rusher. I would get rid of that contract. Trade if you can, but do what is necessary.

Again, we disagree. Might be a comforting theoretical reaction, but unrealistic. We all know some of the undecided will return. In this case, no one knows what Flores et al think of Dola. A number with minimal contracts could be eventual backups. Some, yes, Harris, may be seen as 'having potential and worth one more shot.' Maybe keep TJM and trade Jones.

This will be an interesting OS. I said elsewhere, there won't be 50 new faces. Remember, my question is centered on triage. Not what we WANT to happen. Who are definite 'keeps,' who await Flores' judgement, and who are dead men walking. I admit I don't know, thus, my post.

I am as down on Harris as anybody here, but keep in mind the Pats succeed in scheming guys into making plays. That whole "have everything stand up and you don't know what's coming" defense may get Harris some sacks.

One of BB's patented moves is to pick up high draft picks who have been jettisoned. He obviously thinks that these guys had some level of high ability/potential at one time that he obviously values.

Danny Shelton, Kyle Van Noy, Shane McClellin, Eric Rowe, Josh Gordon, Patrick Chung (the second time) are examples. There's too many to think it's not a BB theory.

The guy keeps doing well despite not drafting high. They've had, what, one or two top ten picks (Jared Mayo) over two decades?

This is an aspect of Flores I'm really excited about. Assuming he's the real deal and had a hand in scheme things.

I refuse to believe the Pats just have better players than the rest of the league. That's crap!

But I do believe their coaches maximize their talent and scheme better than everyone in the league.

So guys like Harris and others can contribute under the right coaching/scheming.

This is an aspect of Flores I'm really excited about. Assuming he's the real deal and had a hand in scheme things.

I refuse to believe the Pats just have better players than the rest of the league. That's crap!

But I do believe their coaches maximize their talent and scheme better than everyone in the league.

So guys like Harris and others can contribute under the right coaching/scheming.
Coaching can go a long way. I can't wait to see what the new coaching staff can do with our young players. As far as Harris tho I'm not holding my breath. I'm expecting nothing while hoping for the best. The kid works hard so lack of talent is why he hasn't been good so far but we'll see what happens with him.

Back
Top Bottom