Rpos | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rpos

Not all options, but when the play has choice of either handing the ball to a back or passing the ball it is by definition a RPO (Run Pass Option). Normally it's a designed run play that the line is still run blocking, but the qb has an option to pull the ball and hit a quick pass before the linemen are too far downfield. Eagles had a lot of success with it last year and you will see more of it this year around the league. Miami has used thim during the Gase era. A number of the plays people think are designed straight wr screens are actually RPOs where the qb goes to the receiver if the defense has 8 men in the box to stop the run.

Not all options, but when the play has choice of either handing the ball to a back or passing the ball it is by definition a RPO (Run Pass Option). Normally it's a designed run play that the line is still run blocking, but the qb has an option to pull the ball and hit a quick pass before the linemen are too far downfield. Eagles had a lot of success with it last year and you will see more of it this year around the league. Miami has used thim during the Gase era. A number of the plays people think are designed straight wr screens are actually RPOs where the qb goes to the receiver if the defense has 8 men in the box to stop the run.

Yes what you said.

A lot of announcers don't really know what an RPO is.

RPO = run pass option for the QB.

How hard is that :shrug:

I think some people see a playaction pass and confuse it with an RPO. I can see how they might get tripped up, the key is to also focus on what the line is doing. If the line is run blocking and it's a pass you're looking at an RPO.

RPO = run pass option for the QB.

How hard is that :shrug:

To an average fan who didn't play football and just watches the games, I am guessing there are a lot them Googling RPO Football. To a person in fiance it means Recovery Point Objective to a person in Human Resources it means Recruitment Process Outsourcing and if you're from Upstate NY near Rochester it means the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra :chuckle:

Why have all the commentators starting calling the option RPOs?

Am I missing something here?

It's essentially the same thing in terms of your keys. Got a give key and a pitch key running the option, only difference with RPO is you have a throw key instead of a pitch key. Still reading the same guy most of the time and leaving the same guy (usually EMOL) unblocked.

You're correct. It's the option except from the shotgun with a pass option built in.

Thanks for all of your comments, I only just saw these.

I think the term 'RPO' has become more in vogue lately, especially with NFL commentators. I watch a lot more college ball so am not used to hearing the term as often.

Back
Top Bottom