RT McIntosh and RG Garmon would be nice finish in FA | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RT McIntosh and RG Garmon would be nice finish in FA

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
These two may be a nice finish to our OL moves in FA.....
clear.gif

Height: 6-4
Weight: 325 lbs.
Pos: Offensive Tackle
Born: March 25, 1977, Kingston
Experience: 4 years
College: Kansas State

McIntosh is an athletic RT much like Wade Smith over on our left side. He's from Florida and some coaches seem to think he could emerge from being a solid starter into being a star RT. He's got some pop and is a smart player. Best of all it looks like we can sign him and a RG close to his ability as well.

clear.gif

Height: 6-2
Weight: 350
Born: 10/26/1976
College: Baylor

Garmon is a mauler RG that is a Jamie Nails type of player. He is young and Hungry. He is a very tough player that has a Harry Galbreath type attitude on the field and he finishes blocks when he get ahold of them.

These two could both be a nice team on our right side. I'd say they would be an upgrade over last year, and are young enough to grow into something special. McIntosh is 325 and an athlete, while Garmon is a 350 pound push inside. Keep in mind these two were also clearing the path for L.T. in SD the last year or two. I think the fact they played together (not sure if it was same side of OL or not) it could reallt cut down the time it takes to learn about the player next to you on the right side of the OL. My hope is Miami signs them both.

* Note: I have not seen these two play much. The info is based on Radio talk I've heard, and various posts I've seen on the net.

McIntosh is not an athletic player. He is a more of a mauler and will be a good RT. I don't think Garmon would be any better than a competition between third round pick Chris Snee or Locklear or Petermann, Whitley, and Yates.

Originally posted by Jaj
McIntosh is not an athletic player. He is a more of a mauler and will be a good RT. I don't think Garmon would be any better than a competition between third round pick Chris Snee or Locklear or Petermann, Whitley, and Yates.

Garmon's edge is that he has already had alot of playing time that Yates and Whitley have not had. It would be great if they were close enough to not have to sign anyone else, but it seems right now that the FO is going after a RG and RT.

I like Garmons size at RG.....350 is a nice push. McIntosh may be the best OL left in the FA pool. The other name I'm not hearing anything about is 49er OG Stone. He was a Pro Bowler a few years ago and the top OG in FA when SF took him from the NYG.

How about Ron Stone?? What's up with him?? He's 32 and had some nagging injuries last year. But he was a salary cap casualty in SF and apparently wasn't cut because of his play. Last I heard, he was visiting Cleveland on Friday.

Anyway, he's a durable RG who went to three straight Pro Bowls from 2000-2002 and got a ring in Dallas. He's a big dude and (from what I'm reading here) is an absolute stud in the run game.

Any reason why we don't cover our azzes and talk contract with this guy?? Perhaps he's asking for alot of money??

As I've said previously, I wouldn't mind bringing back Jamie Nails and let him compete at RG.

Originally posted by Muck
How about Ron Stone?? What's up with him?? He's 32 and had some nagging injuries last year. But he was a salary cap casualty in SF and apparently wasn't cut because of his play. Last I heard, he was visiting Cleveland on Friday.

Anyway, he's a durable RG who went to three straight Pro Bowls from 2000-2002 and got a ring in Dallas. He's a big dude and (from what I'm reading here) is an absolute stud in the run game.

Any reason why we don't cover our azzes and talk contract with this guy?? Perhaps he's asking for alot of money??

LOL...I had just added Stone when I saw your post. I agree....if he and Garmon are asking for the same money....Stone may be a safer pick and a leader we could use.

I agree on Nails as well. I hope top see him back.

One thing I will say is that I do not think the OL market is as bad as some have worried. I think its going to be ok and if we land our two guys in the next week we'll be better than last year if its names we've all been discussing.

I totally agree Mike. That would be a nice right side. McIntosh has a nice mix of athleticism and mauler. He can get movement as a run blocker and still only allowed 9.5 sacks as a LT in 37 starts. My ONLY concern with Big Mac is that he has missed a little time with minor injuries the last two seasons. Other than that he is an upgrade over Todd Wade for a lot less money IMO.

And Garmon is a guy that is still improving but already a major road grader as a run blocker and good feet for a 350 lber.
He was able to start 16 games as a rookie and had been a regular ever since.
Has he even been mentioned yet as a guy that is on Rick's radar?

I would love to sign Ron Stone to a 1 or 2 year deal. That would be ideal along with McIntosh.

Originally posted by MrClean

Garmon is a guy that is still improving but already a major road grader as a run blocker and good feet for a 350 lber.
He was able to start 16 games as a rookie and had been a regular ever since.
Has he even been mentioned yet as a guy that is on Rick's radar?

Yes, Garmon has been one of the names floating around as one of the top OG's available. We could take a nice portion of the San Diego OL (McIntosh and Garmon)...no doubt they've been playing Marty ball and know how to run block. It's good to see McIntosh has the ability to not only maul a player, but keep his sack count down.

350lbs in the Miami heat? I don't think so.I'd rather have Carey(if he keeps the right weight on himself)Snne or Locklear at RG. I do like Mack at RT tho.Of the tackles coming out that we might have a shot at I like Tony Pape.

Ozzy rules!!

Ya and he was also playing a tougher position while doing that.

Originally posted by Jaj
I would love to sign Ron Stone to a 1 or 2 year deal. That would be ideal along with McIntosh.

So you'd like Stone over Garmon despite the age difference?

Stone was a bigtime player a couple seasons ago.....I wonder what the cost difference is on the two? Stone's cost could be higher than we'll go.

Ya definitely, because you can groom a guy behind him for cheap.

Garmon is not that great of a player, I've seen him a couple times. Stone is still quite a bit better.

Originally posted by Jaj
Ya definitely, because you can groom a guy behind him for cheap.

Garmon is not that great of a player, I've seen him a couple times. Stone is still quite a bit better.

I'm sure Stone could bring some LEADERSHIP to our OL as well.

LT - W. Smith
LG - J. James
C - McKinney
RG Stone
RT McIntosh

Looking that group over, they are pretty young other than Stone. I'd assume that given his age, and the fact he's been a Pro Bowler, he'd be the leader of that group....whereas Garmon would just be another young guy. Good Point Jaj

Originally posted by Jaj

why not just get perry back? what does ron stone bring at 32 that perry doesnt? answere: not much and possibly more money. spielman is going for guys who are 27 because we want linemen here for 4-5 years , not 1 or 2.

Originally posted by Danny
350lbs in the Miami heat? I don't think so.I'd rather have Carey(if he keeps the right weight on himself)Snne or Locklear at RG. I do like Mack at RT tho.Of the tackles coming out that we might have a shot at I like Tony Pape.

Ozzy rules!!

He's from central Texas, that can get pretty hot too and he has played in SD another pretty warm location. I'd say he is pretty well adapted to hot climates.
I'd not worry about his size too much, heck Nails has been at 335 the last couple years, not much different than 350 and isn't Carey pretty heavy himself?

Back
Top Bottom