Rumor: Aikman still very much on Phins' radar | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor: Aikman still very much on Phins' radar

Originally posted by inFINSible
The who will be third string QB?

1) your 3rd string QB isn't active for any game so it doesn't really matter.

2) I still fell we make a move for a QB who will be cut by another team. And have him be a 3rd stringer.

Thi whole is thing getting blown out of proportion. Jay isn't going to get hurt, and Aikman is never going to play for us. Who does he think he is......Mark Rypien?!?! Anyways I think we should just make this a dead issue. Marino would come back and play for us again before Aikman would.

Originally posted by TedDanson

1) your 3rd string QB isn't active for any game so it doesn't really matter.

2) I still fell we make a move for a QB who will be cut by another team. And have him be a 3rd stringer.

It doesn't matter whether they are active or not... EVERY NFL team carries a third-string QB. One of them might be on the Practice-squad... but the other definitely will not be cut... UNLESS we bring someone else in as the third-string QB. But, I seriously doubt we will do that.

Actually Aikman isn't thrilled with his job at FOX I have read in a couple places. But unless Fiedler goes down in Sep or Oct, Aikman ain't coming back. Say Fiedler goes down iN November. It would take at least a month for Aikman to sign, get in shape, learn the offense, and practice with the team so everyone is on the same page. The season would be over by the time he is ready.

This is why Miami needs another WR. Lucas showed in NY when Vinny went down that one year if you put quality around him (Marrtin, Keyshaw, Chrebet) that he is capable of holding down the fort and doing a decent job. If Fiedler were to go down, there isn't enough around a player like Lucas to let him succede.

I dunno,

Williams, Chambers, and Gadsden aren't really much of a step down from Martin, Johnson, and Chrebet.

Last edited:
A great fit. Boy Toy Troy hanging out in South Beach and the Keys.

How've ya been Ice?

Originally posted by Muck
Just re-checked. Yup, it says June 26th. Read it on the GBN Report.

It's not 100% out of the question, but highly unlikely. There's a guy on DT who thinks that Ray Lucas will not make the team. He hears that Lucas IS NOT doing well in Norv's offense and believes that Lucas is battling KUSTOK for the 3rd QB spot and that Levcik is currently the #2 man.

Ray Lucas has struggled learning the new offense, I even said it in my camp report, and better yet it was in a local paper too.

I have been very high on Levcik since day one, but even the last Qb School Levcik and Kustok hardly got into the team drills. It was Fiedler and Lucas. So when rumors came up about Miami being interested in a Veteran Qb I was not at all surprised. I was even said on WQAM but I never even thought about Aikman. Interesting to say the least...

For him to believe that Ray Lucas is battling for the 3rd spot on the team sounds more like he is wishing it. Don't get me wrong here Muck I know your just passing that info on. But I'm scratching my head thinking how could this be, especially when the only pads being used are elbow, and knee pads. :)

Cutting Lucas does make some sense, but only if a quality Veteran can be signed for less than he is making.

I really think Levcik is a lock to make the team, and could very well be the Qb of the future here, but not just yet.

Actually Aikman isn't thrilled with his job at FOX I have read in a couple places. But unless Fiedler goes down in Sep or Oct, Aikman ain't coming back. Say Fiedler goes down iN November. It would take at least a month for Aikman to sign, get in shape, learn the offense, and practice with the team so everyone is on the same page. The season would be over by the time he is ready.

I'm not sure how out of shape Aikman might be, so that is a very legit point, but what I'd like to point out is that Aikman knows Norv Turners system like the back of his hand, the only things that might have changed would be the call sign for an individual play or plays.

Today's modern Qb's probably spends quite a lot of time in the weight room to keep in shape, but there are some that are just natural born Quarterbacks. Aikman, IMO would fit that mold, so depending on how out of shape he is, I think he could step right in and even be more of a help to the team, with his knowledge of the offense.

This is why Miami needs another WR. Lucas showed in NY when Vinny went down that one year if you put quality around him (Marrtin, Keyshaw, Chrebet) that he is capable of holding down the fort and doing a decent job. If Fiedler were to go down, there isn't enough around a player like Lucas to let him succede.

Miami's Wr's are pretty darn good. Would I want another big time Wr? Sure because I'm greedy like that. But I think Miami now has an even match for all three players you mentioned from that Jets team.

The one thing that made a big difference on that team was their Offensive Line.

Of course it's only my opinion....

I agree with Ozzy. Aikman does know Turner's system plus he's already familiar with James McKnight. Remember in '93, Steve Deberg was signed after Marino was put on IR, and wound up starting just 11 days later, with no prior knowledge of Gary Stevens' offense. He was good enough to win his first 2 starts, against the Pats and the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day. I think a couple of weeks of working out the rust and warming up the arm for Aikman would be all he'd need.

Who cares this is really a dead issue and it will never happen. We have a better chance of Marino coming back than Aikman.

Back
Top Bottom