Rumor has Dolphins, Patriots eyeing each other with concerns... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rumor has Dolphins, Patriots eyeing each other with concerns...

I'm still not sold on Brady yet.... I can't give in. LOL.. he just can't be good.. look what teams they have played this year... KC has the worst d in the league in yards.. we have seen first hand how bad the jits are and the one that made brady look really good, was the steelers.. but then the next week the steeler looked even worse against the faiders...
So I am not sold yet on the Pats.. I think last year they got by on great Coaching and LOTS of luck... that will only take you so far.. They just had it at the right time.. I think they may be in for a big awakening with the Chargers this week.. although I would rather face them 4-0 vs 4-0... either way I think we shall show who the team to beat is in the AFC..

I think the Pats are really good and Brady is the real deal. Brady has a bright future ahead of him.

Let's first take care of KC. If we overlook them, we WILL get beat. It's that type of game. Sunday after 4pm, then we can turn to New England and say "Just Bring It!". BTW, NE doesn't have a walk in the park either, not with playing an improved SD Charger team.

Go Fins!

The Patriots are great as a unit, but I don't see Brady as a great QB.

Originally posted by MiaMarino
Let's first take care of KC. If we overlook them, we WILL get beat. It's that type of game. Sunday after 4pm, then we can turn to New England and say "Just Bring It!". BTW, NE doesn't have a walk in the park either, not with playing an improved SD Charger team.

Go Fins!

New England will not crush San Diego as long as Drew Brees doesn't have to beat them. If the PATS shut down Tomilson and force Drew Brees to win the game with his arm San Diego is in a lot of trouble. However after watching the Priest this past Sunday it will be interesting to see how New England run defense responds. I think if Tomilson has a decent day and the Chargers D steps up this one will be very close. I sure hope Junior plays!!! I think the Chargers may have the best set of defensive backs the Patriots have faced thus far. Until of course they play us in week 5. New Englands smallish receivers will struggle against Sam and Pat and Jamar should be able to hold his own. Although Donald Hayes's, as the forth receiver, has the size to give Fletcher or Gamble a hard time. The key will be Antowain Smith though. Remember in the first meeting last year we shut down Smith big time and in the second meeting in Foxboro Smith ran wild in the first half.

Well, I'm sorry to break it to you fellas, but Tom Brady is a very, very good quarterback. Does he have bledsoe's arm strength?? NO he doesn't. Can he scramble like Michael Vick?? NO he can't. How many QBs read the field as well and as quickly as Brady?? VERY few.

I made a post about a week ago outlining the fact that many of us are tempted to label players on opposing teams as average whilst pronouncing our own all pro. Many people lower the value of Joe Montana because he 'played in a friendly system', or Emmitt Smith, because 'he had great line'. Tom Brady, may not play for the Phins, but that doesn't mean that he isn't one heck of a QB. Many Phin fans will enter the game against the Patriots arrogantly thinking that Miami is somehow the best team in football. Personally, I will be concerned and excited about facing the genuine top team in the NFL, the Patriots.

Last year I remember on another board someone proclaimed after a couple of games "no one scores more than 20 points on this defense" . This proclaimation was within a thread which talked about the upcoming Rams game. At the time, I pointed out that St Louis were superbowl champions, and also one of the best offensive machines ever. Well, we all know what happened there. I simply want to point out that things change very quickly, and the fans that get so unrealisticly carried away by the hype, also tend to be those who bail out when things don't go quite so well. Its a dang good thing that most of the Phin players are slightly less rose tinted right now.

I am loving the season so far. I am ecstatic that the Phins are playing so well. But the facts remain: we always start fast, and fade down the stretch, we need to win in November and December; there are no prizes for dominating in September, there is a long way to go. Don't forget, there are a number of teams out there that can play a bit too.

A team wins a Superbowl.....they deserve respect. A Quarterback wins a Superbowl....he deserves respect.

Originally posted by phinphan

...and the fans that get so unrealisticly carried away by the hype, also tend to be those who bail out when things don't go quite so well...

If you compare the results of last weeks game vs the Jets to the score predictions made on this board, you will find that the vast majority of the fans (on this board) are pretty damned realistic. In fact as a group we were basically dead on about what our offense would do. Not only that but as a group we underestimated our defensive performance by almost 2 touchdowns...

Regarding Brady, I believe he is an average quarterback that is benefitting from the element of surprise. Again, no-one expected the Pats to throw the ball 75% of the time. Teams will get wise to this, and someone WILL blueprint how to stop their offense. Perhaps it will be the Dolphins in week 5.

IMO Brady, just like the team, is not as good as the hype, but not as bad as the preseason "anti-hype".

Lets not forget who Miami has to play the very next week on the road in week 6. We could come away from the pats game with the division lead only to lose to denver the following week. Personally I think that we will be very lucky to go into the bye week with only 1 loss.

The Cool thing to me is that collectively, the dolphins players don't need to worry about "who" they they are playing... All they need to do is their job... Its up to the coaching staff to worry about the opposing team. Which works out especially well for us because we have great coaching so the players have faith and realise that they don't have to worry about anything other than their assignments... They believe in what they are doing, so all they have to do is execute and the wins will come, regardless of who they are playing.

Originally posted by phinphan
Well, I'm sorry to break it to you fellas, but Tom Brady is a very, very good quarterback.

Well sorry to break it to you but I don't think so.. he is an OK QB... not great... not even "very, very good", just OK..
You want to give HIM respect for winning the SB?? well lets see, through the entire playoffs and SB he threw a whopping 1 td!! that's right 1! that's in 2 playoff games and that superbowl.. for a outstanding QB rating of 77!!... obviously the MVP.. we should give him all the respect in the world.. NOT..
he has played 2 bad d-fenses and one good one that was perfectly schemed against.. let's see what he does against a real team with out the element of surprise..
The Patriots were big overacheivers last year and had a few easy games this year... will see if they make it the long haul and Brady can become a probowler and mvp this year.

Originally posted by Superself

NO they shouldn't. You think that both of these teams are focusing on each other right now? NO! They are looking to who they play next week and trying to win that game.

We fans have the luxury to harp about what is coming up ahead.

I didn't meen they should be worried or focusing on each other at this moment because they both have up coming games but if you think that they don't have an eye on what each other are doing right now then you're just fooling yourself.
They read the papers and watch ESPN just like the rest of us, so both teams know that they have a showdown coming reguardless of this weeks results.

Okay, just out of curiosity, for those people who have taken the Tom Brady coments a little personally, what are his faults?? I come on these boards to learn, so please, if there is some major flaw to his game, please explain. He may be an 'average QB', but until someone points to his shortcomings, I would take him on my team. Size, strength, leadership, great field awareness, quick reads, quick release, winner. Thats what I see. Lack of arm strength and inexperience seem to be the main drawbacks.
Okay, he isn't pretty, but he gets it done.

To Gottahavefootball, yes I do believe that Brady deserves respect. In the biggest game the sport has to offer, Brady won. I don't care whether he threw 6 TD passes or none, the fact is he got it done. A guy who leads his team to triumph in the Superbowl gets my respect, but thats just my personal opinion.

Okay, the Patriots have not played the best opposition, but then neither have the Phins. Write off Brady's accomplishments on account of the teams he has faced, you have to do the same with Ricky, Jay Fiedler.

Yes the Pats had a big slice of luck last year. Yes they had some outstanding coaching. But they also showed great heart and team spirit. Feel free, take the Pats lightly. Personally, I am worried about facing Brady and his team.

You do realize that the same arguments you guys are using to say that Tom Brady is an "average" quarterback, can be very easily turned on us to say that Ricky Williams is nothing more than an "average" runningback.

Think about this. Among QBs who are STILL STARTING, Tom Brady has the highest QB rating in the league. Ricky Williams has the most yards among RBs. Tom Brady played the Pitt D (which got tore up by Gannon as well), the KC D (which got tore up by Holcombe and Brunell), and the Jets D. Well, I got news for you guys. Ricky played against the hapless Detroit Lions defense, the hapless Colts defense, and the hapless Jets defense. And both Brady and Williams have looked good enough in their 3 contests for people in the league to be calling both of the candidates for MVP.

I tell you what, I don't buy it. Tom Brady is a very good quarterback and Ricky Williams is a very good runningback. Why? Because of the WAY they've done it. The way Ricky's added a new dimension to his game in terms of speed, while still seemingly being able to use his power to run over people, and his vision in terms of picking the right hole. Well, the same applies for Brady. The way he's done it is damn impressive. He goes down the field shotguns every play, surveys the ENTIRE field, finds the open man and hits him with absolute pinpoint accuracy. How is that NOT good? How is he NOT doing his job to near perfection?

Sure, things will start to get a little rougher for Brady when he faces a few better defenses, but the same goes for Ricky Williams as well. At least we know for now that Tom Brady is perfectly capable of reproducing the exact same success as a proven commodity like Rich Gannon. Whereas the best thing we can say about Ricky Williams and the record of teams he's faced, is that Ricky did better against the Colts than Fred Taylor did (in other words saying that Ricky can do better than Najeh Davenport and Lamar Smith, while having similar success as Travis Henry, Antowain Smith, and Jonathon Wells...is not saying a WHOLE LOT for Ricky...).

Keep in mind I'm not dissin Ricky. He's awesome. I think he's capable of (gasp) a 2000 yard season, maybe this year maybe some other year (long as Norv sticks around). But, Brady's pretty damn good too and its about time people realize it.

Back
Top Bottom