Running Backs

Better back-Williams or Csonka?

• Williams

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • Csonka

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Csonka was the best Fullback to ever play the game.

Ricky is a great, potentially HOF Running back.

No comparison though, Csonka was a beast playing a tougher game back then.

Well I will say Williams is a better running back cause he can do so much more than Csonka can, Csonka ran over people, Williams does that and more. But then again you are talking about 2 different era's.

Csonka is the best fullback we have ever had and Williams is the best halfback we ever had.

Talent wise I think Williams is much better, but lets wait 5 more years before we have this discussion.

I don't think the game was necessarily tougher than it is today. The game is much faster, much more sophisticated today than it was back then. The players are bigger, faster, and more athletic today.

It's not even close. Williams is a better, more complete back than Csonka. And Ricky can block like a mofo too. Actually was a FB for two years at Texas. Csonka was never even close to the level that Ricky is at right now.

If the Dolphins win a SB on the back of Williams that would go a long way to giving Williams the nod.

All the players in today's game is much better than back then. People talk about the match up of old teams and new teams all the time. I think that the worse teams of today would destory the teams of the 60's and 70's

well, I guess since most people havent seen Csonka run or don't really understand the difference of the game between now and then, they can't really appreciate just how dominant and powerfull Csonka truely was.

Is really hard to tell. Zonck is in the HOF already and Ricky had a total of 1 great season so far. Am I trying to put our best player down? Of course not. I'm a big fan just like anyone here but is a little early to tell. Ricky has more speed and Zonck had more power imo. of course, Zonck did have a better o-line in front. See, I wanna be fair about it but lets wait a few years.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by marcusreal
Is Williams a better running back than Csonka was?

Comparing apples and oranges....

Csonk was a FB and one of the toughest SOB's ever in the game.
I would have to say the best FB ever IMO of course.

Williams is a TB not a FB.
Slight difference there don't you think??
It's like comparing Mark Duper with Randy McMichael.

Originally posted by deathdisco
Well I will say Williams is a better running back cause he can do so much more than Csonka can, Csonka ran over people, Williams does that and more. But then again you are talking about 2 different era's.

As well as two completely different positions!

Csonka is the best fullback we have ever had and Williams is the best halfback we ever had.

Most valid point in this whole thread.

When you look at this topic you must consider that Ricky can over AND around defenders...and alot of times out-run them. When I think about the run Ricky had versus KC last year I see a resemblance of Csonka. He ran straight over Greg Wesley then down the sideline he picked Belser up off the ground with one arm then threw him like a sweat towel.

Originally posted by SMadison29
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CsonLa00.htm

Csonka was only good for a five year period.

Geez....

Not true....

He played over 10 years in one of the MOST bruising positions on the football field.

His numbers tail off because he left the NFL for the world football league after '74. When he came back to the NFL he along with others who left for the world league had a hard time with attaining playing time. The NFL was not happy at all with those that left for the WFL.

Regardless of the WFL excuse, if you look at Csonkas last years, he put up equal to if not better numbers than most FB's do in their best years.
His last year he was given the chance to carry the ball much more regularly in Miami and he outgained some tailbacks in yardage and TD's.
That's not good???? Your statement grossly underscores what Csonk accomplished. Unless the HOF made a mistake of course.... but I doubt that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom