Better back-Williams or Csonka?

• Williams

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • Csonka

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by WeVie
All the players in today's game is much better than back then. People talk about the match up of old teams and new teams all the time. I think that the worse teams of today would destory the teams of the 60's and 70's

I disagree with that. The only advantages of the present day teams are speed and size. However those top teams from those era played a much better mental game than current teams do.

Going to the initial question, it is a comparison than can not be made. Each outstanding back is a great player. Each back plays a different posistion.

Csonka was the single most dominant player on our two Superbowl winning teams. That is a huge point in his favor. Ricky has had the single greatest individual season, in terms of production, in Dolphin history. Comparing a Fullback to a Halfback is usually not a valid comparison. They were and are both Feature Backs though. Csonka shared carries with Morris and Kiick. Williams carries the full load. For a single season I would take Williams, while the career vote would still go to Csonka at this time. Nice debate with myself, huh? :rolleyes:

Csonka was the greatest FB I've ever seen play (32yrs) Ricky if he stays healthy is also on his way to being one of the better HB I've ever watched! Right now he is probably has the most all around talent out there(Running over them, by them his catching has gotten alot better and he can block his butt off)BOTH OF THIER HEARTS RANK RIGHT UP THERE WITH THE BEST OF THEM!!

Originally posted by DENVERDOLFAN
For a single season I would take Williams, while the career vote would still go to Csonka at this time.

So would I. I'd also go with Williams based on talent only. As much as I loved watching Csonka, he just does not compare to Ricky.

Originally posted by mf52dolphin
I disagree with that. The only advantages of the present day teams are speed and size. However those top teams from those era played a much better mental game than current teams do.

I think that teams back in the day were better fundamentally than most teams of today. Keep this in mind though. Those teams were not going up against players with the speed, size and talents that current teams face on a more consistent basis these days. I'd say that it's easier to be fundamentally sound when you're not going up against the freaks of today's game every Sunday, wouldn't you agree? ;)

One glaring difference that I notice between the two eras is the amount of heart and desire that the athletes play with. The Old School players wanted it and the team concept was very evident. The only thing that most of the players today want is to get paid. The individual seems to be more important. Ricky's better but i'd love to have a team with the heart & passion of Csonka any day. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ricky was better than Zonk, hands down. Though he isn't the best back in the league(LT is), he brings something to the table that we've never seen down here in Miami, hell in Florida..

Originally posted by Peanut
Ricky was better than Zonk, hands down. Though he isn't the best back in the league(LT is)

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. :confused: There are a lot of good backs in the league but I don't know that I would say that either of them is the absolute best. LT, Priest, Ricky, Duece Mac, Corey Dillon....... There's a lot of guys to be considered.

You can't really compare the 2 diff position different game , You have to remember during Zonk year teams knew Miami was going to run 85% of the time, when you pass the ball 10X or less during games that speaks volumes about the running game.

Originally posted by HofCityFan
You have to remember during Zonk year teams knew Miami was going to run 85% of the time, when you pass the ball 10X or less during games that speaks volumes about the running game.

True. But, Zonk wasn't the only key element in the running game during his tenure. IMO Merc and Kiick did pretty good. Also, Miami's passing game was not that bad. Warfield would get deep on opposing teams, the TE was used a lot and the swing pass to backs coming out of the backfield was often productive. They didn't have to throw a lot but they were good at it when they did.

Zonk has 2 SB rings, a HOFer, and Miami didn't pass a lot then, anyone know why? Some of you guys who didn't see Zonk, really shouldn't vote in this. Zonk carried 5 or 6 players on his back, you'd have to see it to appreciate it..Some of you have only seen Ricky, and you think he's beast. Zonk was every bit the beast Ricky is and more. I had the pleasure to watch them both..I love both, and they mean the same to the team in a different decade. I think it's fair to compare Ricky to Zonk, since Zonk was used like a RB. He carried the ball almost as much as Ricky. He was the featured back. Zonk was to the dolphins what Ricky is today. Right after he left is when we weren't completing for championships anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
When comparing players I think you have to judge the time period and how good they competed against what was there.

Players are bigger, stronger, and faster than yesterday. It is not a fair comparison for those who have played the game to match up to a modern day player. The players of today will appreciate those comments tomorrow, I guaranntee..

That said, along with everything else in this thread...

Csonka had 21 fumbles...........IN HIS CAREER !!!!

And what's up with this thing...I didn't get to vote !

Back
Top Bottom