Rush and McNabb | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rush and McNabb

BuddyLee

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the things Rush said on the ESPN Sunday show.

I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on Sunday's show. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

I think that the defense carried the Eagles, but I disagree with Rush when he says that McNabb got a lot of credit that he didnt deserve. McNabb is still a great quarterback.

I disagree that the Media is Desirous that a black QB do well. I believe the NFL is desirous that A black QB do well just as they are desirous that there are more black head coaches.

Well I'm shocked he resigned. Its not like everyone didnt see something like this coming up as soon as he was hired. I'm sure Espn figured it would happen too. He was there for this kinda publicity stunt no matter if it was in a positive or negative light. Hes entitled to his opinion and they did hire him for his opinions so no shocker there. As for what he said he was flat out wrong. How many teams right now in the nfl wouldnt trade their starting Qb for McNabb straight up? I'm guessing not many. I doubt teams listen to this "media machine" or whatever in making thier decisions.

Originally posted by BuddyLee
What does everyone think about the things Rush said on the ESPN Sunday show.

I think that the defense carried the Eagles, but I disagree with Rush when he says that McNabb got a lot of credit that he didnt deserve. McNabb is still a great quarterback.

McNabb is not a great quarterback. He is a good quarterback. Look at his stats, he is average. Favre, Garcia, Cullpepper, McNair and many others, have better stats. He has to run to be effective, just like Vick. They are trying to make him stay in the pocket this year and look what has happened to him. How effective is Vick, sitting on the sidelines with a busted leg.

i think mcnabb has carried that offense by himself for a couple of years now. not a lot of talent around him at skill positions.

While the defense did carry the Eagles, McNabb is still a very good QB. Limbaugh made an idiotic comment and he is paying the price.

Make the judgement based upon what they pay him, and what he in turn produces... yeah, he's overrated.
Rush, well he forgot he wasn't on the radio, an experiment gone awry for espn. Kind of reminds you of the Dennis Miller experiment. Both Rush and Dennis stunk it up, their politically loaded schtik doesn't cut it on mainstream sports programming.

I don't feel it was a racist statement, nor do I feel that was the intent. I don't think Rush is a racist. I just think that he was incorrect. Incorrect in that McNabb is overrated and incorrect in that race is an issue.

Maybe it's because I'm young man of the present, and don't have that racial overtone burned into me. But I grew up in a poor, rural, racially tense area. And I don't think about race in the NFL. So I think that if it doesn't enter my mind, it probably doesn't enter the minds of Joe Average fan.

But what really bothers me is the fact that idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have such control over things. That anything they decide to deem racist in the media, it automatically becomes a firestorm and creates controversy, and that person has to defend themself from the racist stigma. In reality, they're nothing more than hypocritical, self-serving lowlifes.

Back to the point, I don't think that Rush resigned as much as he was forced to resign. And rightfully so. There's no place for that kind of talk on NFL Countdown.

McNabb got his feelings hurt. Rush wasn't the only commentator that has said that McNabb is over rated. McNabb didn't help matters with his comments either. To paraphrase, he said that Jackson and Irvin should have covered his back. What kind of stuff is that? If Jackson or Irvin say something negative about a white player, are Berman and Young supposed to come to their defense?

I believe Rush spoke the truth. It is imperative to understand exactly what he said. He did not say McNabb is the QB because he is black, he said McNabb has been crediting for the defense winning games last year because the NFL wants to see a black QB succeed. And that is true. Mind you Michael Irvin said "Rush has a point" 2 TIMES right after Rush finished his opinions. Its on a video file on his website rushlimbuagh.com for everyone to hear with their own ears what he said exactly. And he's definitely not a racist because he has defended Blacks numerous times trying to improve the African-American people by explaining if they come together collectively they can prosper better without the pampering of the govt. Since 1990, the NFL has been under a microscope because of the small amount of black head coaches and 1 General Manager. They are now obviously trying to avoid legal sues against them for lack of minority hiring by enforcing mandatory minority hiring (which is so stupid because it actually does more harm). And this is Rush's main point. Jim Brown, the hall-of-famer, a black well-known and successful social activist has sided with Rush in those thoughts.

On a side note, let me give an example of how we live in a country with double standards. Dusty Baker, manager of the Chicago Cubs who is black, made this quote about 2 months ago: "Personally, I like to play in the heat," he said. "It's easier for me. It's easier for most Latin guys and easier for most minority people.

"You don't find too many brothers in New Hampshire and Maine and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, right? We were brought over here for the heat, right? Isn't that history? Weren't we brought over because we could take the heat?"

"Your skin color is more conducive to the heat than it is to the light-skinned people, right? You don't see brothers running around burnt and stuff, running around with white stuff on their ears and nose and stuff."

Now how come no one told Dusty to resign?? Although some questions arised, Baker said he simply told the truth and told his players the same thing plenty of times. The media shut up about it quickly. There's a double standard, I think we over-react when white people say something about blacks, but yet the vice versa is much more tolerable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by lotion
Both Rush and Dennis stunk it up, their politically loaded schtik doesn't cut it on mainstream sports programming.

IMO, Dennis Miller was funny as **** on MNF. He didn't know jacksquat about football, and while I may not agree with his politics, at least it was entertaining every once in a while instead of the mindless drivel usually heard during low points in the game.

I don't think anyone here misinterperated what Rush said. We just differ on whether his assessment was correct or not. I believe that there is certainly a large group of people who Rush correctly pegged in that statement. But it is not the overriding sentiment IMO.

I also believe that Rush was incorrect when he said that McNabb was overrated. He has been there entire offense for three seasons. And nobody thinks the defense has nothing to do with it. Quite the contrary. The Philadelphia defense has quite a reputation, as does their defensive coordinator Jim Johnson. They're thought of as exotic and hard hitting.

If anything, I think Rush is selling everyone else short on this one. He has a valid point. But not nearly as big as he asserts.

rush was right im afraid.....the liberal media will not allow such a true statement to be made....i am not racist but it bothers me that many potshots can be taken toward us white males and anything said about a black athelete is automatically taken as racist....

the 13% of america that is black control more in this country than anyone else...just a thought

Originally posted by Muck
I don't feel it was a racist statement, nor do I feel that was the intent. I don't think Rush is a racist. I just think that he was incorrect. Incorrect in that McNabb is overrated and incorrect in that race is an issue.

Maybe it's because I'm young man of the present, and don't have that racial overtone burned into me. But I grew up in a poor, rural, racially tense area. And I don't think about race in the NFL. So I think that if it doesn't enter my mind, it probably doesn't enter the minds of Joe Average fan.

But what really bothers me is the fact that idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have such control over things. That anything they decide to deem racist in the media, it automatically becomes a firestorm and creates controversy, and that person has to defend themself from the racist stigma. In reality, they're nothing more than hypocritical, self-serving lowlifes.

Back to the point, I don't think that Rush resigned as much as he was forced to resign. And rightfully so. There's no place for that kind of talk on NFL Countdown.

You're right. The really scary thing is that along with Sharpton, Wesley Clark and Howard Dean called for Rush to be fired. These are guys that want to be President of the United States and they are advocating firing people who say something they don't agree with. So much for the constitutional right to free speech.

Back
Top Bottom